• Join Home Gardening Forum

AACCCCK!!! Spider Mite Infestation

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
This week, I noticed "something" wasn't right with one of my 4th of July tomato plants. The bottom leaves had brown spots and were curling. Thought, "Well, I have some extra seedlings, so I'll just pull it up and replace it - eventually."

Went to get the seedlings remaining on the west side patio today to plant in my newest raised bed. ALL the seedlings looked just like the one I'd seen in the main garden. Sat down in the swing and chopped, chopped the worst leaves off two tomato plants, which I then planted. Suddenly, I realized ALL the seedlings I'd brought around looked worse that the two I'd just planted. Long story short, called my favorite nursery and described what the leaves looked like. The guy very calmly said, "It's probably spider mites." AACCCCK!!! Ran to the computer to look for comparative photos and tomato leaves/plants that look just like mine appeared on the screen.

So, I researched the Internet for a solution. For seedlings still in their pots, it said you could dip them in the sink with (1) tbs. of dishwashing soap for every gallon of water; swish leaves around in soapy water for 60 seconds and then rinse with a forceful stream of water - paying particular attention to the back of the leaves.

I chopped, chopped the worst leaves off of three tomato seedlings, swished in the soapy water and then rinsed each remaining leaf with a forceful stream of water (in the kitchen sink - yeah, I know so don't say it.) I decided to just do the three plants that were the least infected first to see if I killed them or not. So now I have three of the cleanest, shiniest tomato plants you've ever seen sitting on the kitchen counter. Another site suggested spraying them with a mixture of half rubbing alcohol and half water (after the soapy rinse) to kill any remaining mites and that the alcohol would simply evaporate on its own.

I went back out to the garden and saw tomato plants I'd planted previously are also affected, so I'm going to have to chop, chop, chop and rinse those leaves, too. This is a total nightmare as the heat and humidity aren't even here yet, as far as pest problems go for me on the Texas Gulf Coast.

The unplanted seedlings I haven't cleaned are in much worse shape and I've moved them back to their original site on the west side of the house. However, the articles I read on the Internet say spider mite contamination is spread through the air. We've had lots of days with 25-30 mph winds, I live on the bayou and also have a compost pile with drying leaves nearby. So am I going to be bathing my tomato plants all season? This did not happen last year - 2013 was the year of the stink bug plague. I did release 1,000 lady bugs in my garden area today, but they do nothing for spider mites.

Do you think I should throw away my remaining plants that have the greatest amount of infestation or try to wash the spider mites off those, too?

This is my first gardening meltdown for 2014. Last year the meltdown didn't come until the stink bugs showed up in June - and stayed - munching away on my tomatoes.

Your vote/suggestions count. What should I do? If I cut all the infested leaves off the seedlings still outside, I'm just going to end up with a single stem.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Did the spectracide keep your plants from being reinfected? Do you have to reapply after it rains, as we are getting some rain everyday? Why can't you use it after the plants flower? It's going to be a long, hot, humid summer - translated "BUGFEST!"

It looks like the soapy water and alcohol mixture is working so far on the plants I've cleaned. I'm cleaning them in the kitchen sink and keeping the tomato plants in the house until I get all the plants cleaned. Then I need to disinfect the patio on the west side of the house, which is now my quarantine area for the plants I haven't cleaned yet. I'm scared to death to plant these outside now, in case of reinfection.

M

majorcatfish

Did the spectracide keep your plants from being reinfected?
yes/no....triazicide will kill everything that moves usually kills them with in a hour , but have to retreat if the bugs layed eggs.

Do you have to reapply after it rains.
yes.... but if you have already killed them no need to reapply.

Why can't you use it after the plants flower?
triazicide will kill all the bugs even the ones that pollinate your plants. including bees
<bees will fly back to the hive and that tainted pollen>

personally i only use it couple times a season to combat chiggers.. i spray everything. plants, ground, posts, walls
it's some strong stuff you have to read the label , it states once applied do not harvest for 7-14 days depending on what you sprayed.

if you wish to go more organic here's a couple options
pyrethin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin
spinosad http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosad
neem oil http://landscaping.about.com/od/pestcontrol/p/neem_oil.htm

what ever type of pesticide you go with it's best to apply early in the morning, or in the evening.

wish you the best on your bug problems.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
I bought some Neem oil spray at Home Depot, but it rained all day today and we are expecting more and heavier showers tomorrow. Houston has been anything but dry this spring, so the only "dryness" I can think of that drew the spider mites to the plants would be all the 25-30 mph winds we've been having. I did go out between rains this evening and sprayed the underside of infected leaves on tomato plants already in the ground with my soaker hose wand. I only did two tomato plants, because I've read you're not supposed to leave water on your plants overnight. However, the wind we have blowing should help dry them off. The tomato plants I washed in the kitchen sink apparently LOVED their bath. Even the ones I sprayed prematurely with the alcohol mixture before bathing in soapy water have sprung back to life and are sitting around the house pretty and perky. I trimmed off the most infested leaves before I brought them in for a bath. I'm hoping not to have to sacrifice all the lady bugs I released into my garden on Tuesday. Someone else also suggested spraying them with seaweed spray, as they had an infestation two years ago and that's what got rid of them - after spraying each plant down for three days. I did buy some Sevin Dust spray for my gardening season, but Sevin Dust is the strongest thing my Dad ever used on our 30-acre garden. Whatever pests that didn't kill, just got to stay.