• Join Home Gardening Forum

Araucaria Heterophylla

D

DonaKen

Anyone here have experience with these beauties? Have only found one place that offers these as single plant specimens and they are in Australia :/

M

Mr_Yan

I'll second w_r_ranch with this one. I see them all over in the "house plant" area of stores even large grocery stores carry them.

My grandma had one for years at her condo near the front door and my great aunt had one that she would move out to the screened-in porch each summer and have next to the TV during the winter.

E

ErnieCopp

They are beautiful trees but for anyone starting to grow the Norfolk Pine, i suggest you not make drastic changes from year to year in either water or fertilizer.

If you spurt or retard the growth very much from year to year the spacing of the laterals will reflect that, being either much longer or shorter than the rest of the spaces, seriously detracting from the symetrical beauty of the balanced tree.

Ernie

N

noodle

They're very common in New Zealand! I never realised they would be sought after, they grow everywhere here. Sorry, I don't have any advice on where you could purchase one overseas though.

E

ErnieCopp

Hello, Noodle,
Where are you located in New Zealand. I sailed my boat there and spent many months on the two islands and loved the country. Then i got involved with the Coopworth Sheep, importing semen to improve the USA stock, and still have friends from the sheep industry down around ChristChurch.

Ernie

N

noodle

Hi Ernie! I'm in Dunedin, in the deep south but not too far away from Christchurch. Did you sail all the way from San Diego? That would have been an amazing trip!

E

ErnieCopp

Dunedin is a beautiful City.I loved the Stone buildings in the Cities there. I was there on the South Island for the Coopworth convention, and was taken on a guided tour of large sheep operations from ChristChurch, South and Inland and then visited the Cities along the East coast and North back to ChristChurch. Beautiful country, wonderful people, Just had a very good time. Earlier when i sailed there, we bought a car and toured both islands. I do not have one single bad memory about the people or the country.

It took over two years to make the round trip by boat, but of course lots of that time was spent enjoying the South Pacific Islands.

Ernie

N

noodle

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit! I love it here but it's always nice to hear that others appreciate it too. That trip sounds incredible! Such a good idea to take a decent amount of time to explore everywhere.