• Join Home Gardening Forum

BEE SWARM!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Like we don't have enough to contend with...

We were in the garage & my wife said she heard bees. I walked outside & saw that the whole front yard was a swarm (no, I'm not exaggerating)... we ran in the house & closed the garage door. The queen must have landed in the live oak 25' from our front window. I hope they move on soon or we will have to call a bee keeper or exterminator... I'm not sharing my personal space with them... period.

BEES.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

man you have all the luck...

I'm waiting to know that the crumb-crunchers are not allergic to bees then I'm getting a beehive or two.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I don't consider myself lucky... I don't like having possible africanized bees in my personal space. If they are still here at noon tomorrow, I will make the phone call & they will be exterminated.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
You're right, Rahab... it sucks not being able to even sit on the porch. Plus the dogs don't like being rushed when it comes to 'doing their business'.

I still hoping that they move on (as soon as this fog starts burning off).

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made the call & before the guy got here, they all flew off (thankfully)!!!

Luckily, I caught the guy before he left his house to come here, so there's no charge... I hate having to spend money on things that are outside of my control like this, especially on Easter weekend. At least now we can get on with our lives.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Glad to hear this! Gardening is expensive and the natural world and elements can really drive the cost up there. I'm so glad I'm not a full time farmer. That's a really tough life. Enjoy sitting on your porch Easter!

bowmansdad

Do NOT kill the bees whatever you do! What pollinates all plants and provides us with all things in the garden? They swarm this time of year and are looking for new homes. We have had 6 swarms this year near our 3 bee hives and managed to catch 1 and add it to ours. As you saw, they flew off and left you alone. When they swarm and are in a cluster, they are very docile and little harm to anything. Our swarms have left by midafternoon if they are here early and the rest are gone the next morning.
By the way, I really enjoy your garden and your gardening tips!:shame: