• Join Home Gardening Forum

Carpenter bees vs Mason bees

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
What is, or is there, a difference between Carpenter bees and Mason bees?

I have a small outdoor work bench made of untreated wood that now seems to be home to several black, wood boring, bees. Knowing that bees are such great pollinators I really don't want to kill them but I don't want them destroying anything else plus I'd like to toss the un-needed work bench.

I've seen in magazines where they sell mason bee "homes" made of wood tubes. So are mason and carpenter bees the same or different?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
There is a difference. Carpenter bees drill holes in wood, Mason bees don't. Also Carpenter bees have a smooth abdomen, while Mason bees have a hairy abdomen. Kill them & treat all unfinished wood with some kind of sealant (and that includes even the underside of a deck) as they will return year after year.

Rockytop

Planting Zone
8B
Once they start.. geez.. just remove the wood and start fresh.. these little demons never go away once established.. ask me how I know..

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
In the good old days when you could still get Chlordane, we used to dip a cotton ball in it & stuff the hole with it. Man, I sure do miss that stuff...