• Join Home Gardening Forum

Cool find in the Tractor Shed

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
duster.jpg

I found this in my late grand dad's old poppin johnny shed. It's a hand crank applicator. He used it on his corn/cotton fields back in the old days. I imagine it has handled some pretty bad stuff lol. Anyway, I cleaned it up and it works like new, sounds like a little jet engine when you crank it fast.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Very cool. Is that the before or after picture?

This was the after Mike. The fan assembly was filled with mud dauber nests. I washed all that out, oiled up all the moving parts and it works like new. It originally had a leather belt that one would tie around the waist and another strap that went over your shoulder. Imagine dusting 60 acres of cotton that way lol.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Imagine dusting 60 acres of cotton that way lol.
Certainly beats doing it by hand though, haha. Do you know by chance how long it would take someone to do a field that large with the duster you have?

E

ErnieCopp

Yan could probably calculate this exactly, but just noodling it, an acre planted with four foot spacing would have about 2 miles of row per acre, so that would be 120 miles of walking, if he could only dust one row at a time. There was a lot of walking required to farm back in those days.

Ernie

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
My mom says that grandpa and sons would spend over a week dusting a single application. That was considered the easy part of the crop. She said the picking was the worst. They picked it all as a family, dawn to dusk until it was all done. All the horse drawn equipment is still in its place on the farm, cool stuff to look at.