• Join Home Gardening Forum

Critter eating our garden

T

tmartin78

We have two raised bed gardens. One that we use for all of our leafy greens including romaine, lettuce, kale, etc... Every year this one gets cleared out by some animal as soon as it gets above ground. We have another raised bed about 20 feet away with snap peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, and zuccini. The critter waits for the zuccini and cucumbers to come up and nibbles on those. We have tried traps as well as a strobe light with a buzzer. We have chicken wire around our entire back yard. Can anyone help us keep this critter away from our garden? What is a good strategy? We've tried trapping and "it" manages to get in and out without being trapped. We did see a possum late one night in the back yard (outside fence) as well as a beaver run across the back yard. Thanks, Tim

M

Mr_Yan

I've had trouble with voles and chipmunks around here. Chipmunks get taken out with a snap rat trap very well. Voles are mouse size and have no tail so a rat trap goes right over them but a mouse trap got it the first night. At our church garden we have ground squirrels doing damage.

Chipmunks, squirrels, and voles would go over or through the chicken wire. What traps have you tried so far?

If you want a little therapy go to youtube and search "mousetrap monday"

M

mattroj

I heard that critters don't like the smell of vinegar. You can hang rags soaked in vinegar near your plants.

M

Mr_Yan

Well I need to find an option when lead is not an option. I have either a mouse or chipmunk causing trouble again. Guess I'm back to traps - but I have to protect them from my 2 year old, or is it protect my 2 year old from the traps...