• Join Home Gardening Forum

Fishing

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Anyone here into fishing?
Today is Stream Trout opener here in Minnesota. I was going to head over to lake superior this weekend and fish the rivers that dump into the lake however they are still sorta frozen lol.

I mostly fish for Walleye, Musky, Big Pike and crappies, trout and salmon in the spring time. Just upgraded all of my Fly fishing equipment and am eager to give it a try. If only mother nature would cooperate lol.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We love to fish, although we haven't had time to go yet this year (heck, I haven't even prepped the boat yet). Mostly for bass, perch & catfish nowadays.

We used to do a lot of fishing on Lake Wissota (Chippewa County, Wisconsin) for both walleye & muskies (almost daily during the summer). Man, those walleyes were tasty!!!

Good_Day.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Man I used to be when I lived in northern Michigan but here in the people's republic of Illinois it sucks.

I threw a 5/6 weight Cortland on the Boardman river for rainbow and browns and, with my grandpa, trolled in Lake Michigan just south of Ludington for salmon and steelhead.

Growing up, literally, across the street from a trout stream was great.

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
W_R Nice Pile of Eyes!!! We are just under a Month away from main fishing opener here. I have a bad feeling the spawn will be very late again this year and limits will be capped for a couple of weeks. Weather is just crap still 40's highs and 20's for lows looks like another 10 days or so of that sort of weather. Hopefully I can get some trout and salmon for the smoker next week!

M

majorcatfish

here is how i came about being called "majorcatfish"
back in 2005 me and my fishing partner were fishing at buggs island we just anchored up casted the bait out, and one pole went to screaming, set the hook and the battle was on it went left, it went right, reeled it in it stripped line after what felt like a life time we finally netted it took both of us to get in the boat. only had a scale that went to 75 lbs it bottom it out the last foot before the fish was off the boat, so we guessed it was 82 lbs + and almost 5' long blue catfish
needless to say my partner said you know thats one major catfish you caught..!!!!
so ever since then i have had the handle of majorcatfish.....
001 (427x640).jpg
003 (640x422).jpg
heres a photo of a 49 lbs blue cat
002 (640x432).jpg
and one of a smaller flathead 22 lbs my best was a 51 lbs flat
004 (427x640).jpg
so now you all know the story behind the name......

and so you know the fish were cpr <caught, photoed , released...>

Last edited by a moderator:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Now that there is what I'd say is a 'major catfish'!!! My personal best was a 26 pound yellow from the Colorado River... far from a record. We routinely catch 20 pounders, but that's life (they all taste good seasoned & fried).

I had a friend that was a Harris County deputy that was a member of their dive team that used to tell stories about 300 pound catfish at the bottom of the Lake Livingston dam... said they scared the crap out of him when he saw them, LOL!!!

Last edited: