• Join Home Gardening Forum

Fun Harvesting

I

IcyBC

Yesterday I was at my mom's house, and I harvested three bitter melons, and some cherry tomatoes for her in the garden behind her garage! This area has the best soil and get plenty of sun.

My mom loves bitter melons, and my brother grows them for her! There are so many health benefits from these bitter melons, but I can't tolerate them. Can you?

IMG_1916-1.jpg

D

Destiny

Those are some nice looking melons and tomatoes! I grew some cherry tomatoes but they didn't turn out that well, hopefully next time!

I've never tried bitter melons, maybe I should. I'll pick a couple up next time I'm at the market if they have some, I've never seen them there but I didn't look for them either. I'll be back to let you know!

S

Susan

I have never tried bitter melons either. I never really noticed them at the local market
but I am sure they are there. Next time that I am in, I am going to look for them and give
them a try. I am not sure what to expect from the taste but I am willing to try anything once.

The veggies looks great though. Nice size and nice coloring!

I

IcyBC

@Destiny and @Susan They sell bitter melons here at our local fruits and vegetables market at $3.99 to $4.99 a pound depending on the season. I love fruits and vegetables that are free of chemicals, and since we live in Michigan, we only have three good months to grow anything.

These melons and tomatoes are free of pesticide spray!

D

daisy

Those are beautiful! I've never seen bitter melons at the local markets here but I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for them, I love trying out new produce.
We're so happy this year to have a little watermelon growing. We've also got peppers and a few little tomatoes that are actually starting to turn red! For a first time gardener it's so exciting!

I

IcyBC

Those are beautiful! I've never seen bitter melons at the local markets here but I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for them, I love trying out new produce.
We're so happy this year to have a little watermelon growing. We've also got peppers and a few little tomatoes that are actually starting to turn red! For a first time gardener it's so exciting!

My mom and brother love bitter melons. They don't mind the bitter taste of them. The bitter melons help lower their high blood pressure. At the moment, my brother is trying to harvest the leaves to make tea to drink for the winter months.