• Join Home Gardening Forum

grill repair or replace

M

Mr_Yan

I have a classic Weber 22.5" black kettle grill - now the one-touch silver - that is in need of some help but the black kettle is in good shape. We use this several times a week in the summer and at least weekly during non-snowy time of the year. Anyway the tripod base is getting wobbly and at least one leg will fall out when moved, the ash tray is gone but replaced with a galvenized bucket which works great, and the bottom air louver cover is rusted out and gone. With this both of the grill grates are in need of replacement.

Do I replace or repair?

The tripod base is the primary thing that concerns me and will be the hardest for me to work with as I don't know how to work with steel. Any thoughts on how well drilling and pinning the legs into the kettle will work? Any thoughts on how to steady the base?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
the tripod base is getting wobbly and at least one leg will fall out when moved

Is it just loose??? If so, drill it & secure with a screw & nut. Cost $.15/leg

the ash tray is gone but replaced with a galvanized bucket which works great

If it works for you, just keep it as is. If you want to replace it, you can buy the part from Amazon for $12.99

Weber 7407 22.5-Inch Replacement Ash Catcher

the bottom air louver cover is rusted out and gone. With this both of the grill grates are in need of replacement.

You can buy these 3 parts from Amazon for $55.13

Weber Smoker 22 1/2" Smokey Mountain & Kettle 3 Pack Damper Kit

Weber 7436 Replacement Hinged Cooking Grate (this is an 'upgrade', but well worth it if you 'smoke')

Weber 7441 Replacement Charcoal Grates

Do I replace or repair?

Depend on how 'attached' or thrifty you are. Cost of all replacement parts is $67.57 if you want to go that route.

The cost on a new Silver 22.5" is $99.00

Weber 741001 Silver One-Touch 22-1/2-Inch Kettle Grill, Black

Or you can get a 'Gold' 22.5" for $149.00, which includes a number of nice to have upgrades such as the hinged cooking grate, built-in lid thermometer & integrated tool hooks in addition to the enclosed ash catcher.

Weber 1351001 One-Touch Gold Kettle Grill, 22-Inch, Black

If I was looking to replace mine, I would go with the 'gold' version, but that's just my opinion. Either version will serve you well for years to come.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I currently have the "silver" 22.5" model and it serves me just fine, even more so since it was given to me. I'd really like to have that "Gold" version though, just for the sheer fact it has a much nicer ash catcher.

M

Mr_Yan

That's my grill, and for you guys in the south that is snow on top of the grill - we got a dusting today. If you look closely where I have the red circle there is a slight kink in the leg that I just noticed. My mom bought this grill when I was in high school and I have moved it across 4 states at this point. Never once has it been covered or protected from the weather either. I think I just set myself up for this grill being struck by lightning now.

The bucket ash catcher works great and I have not had a problem with rain getting in it for the 6 years I've used the bucket.

I think I will go with Mr. Ranch's way of bolting down the legs. I hope this tightens it up because it is getting bad. At least the kids are trained - as well as a toddler can be - not to go on the patio when the grill is being used.

I am also planning on upgrading to the hinged cooking grate. I don't currently smoke with the kettle but want to try soon. I will try making a coals basket out of an old steel coffee can but have been slow going though coffee (only drink coffee at home two days a week and Mrs Yan doesn't drink coffee).

I'd love to jump to the Performer Silver and get away from the tripod base all together but at $227 it's not worth it. Or someday I will stop drooling over the big green eggs.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
@Mr_Yan in addition to Sam's suggestion of bolting the legs, you could also replace them using metal pipe of the same diameter and drill holes for both the bolts at the top and then the wheels at the bottom. Would likely be much stronger than you have now and could be bought at any Lowes or Home Depot.