• Join Home Gardening Forum

Holes in Potato Plant Leaves

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Now I have holes in the leaves of some of my potato plants that just showed up today. I've posted a picture to see if any of you know what may be causing this.

I still have tomato and pepper plants to bathe from my spider mite infestation, but this has been delayed due to multiple, consecutive days of rain. I read that spider mites like dry conditions, but in Houston, we've had an abundance of rain this spring with cool temperatures. So I've decided spider mites just like to be under any and every condition.

I hope to get this taken care of this weekend, as well as finish planting my garden expansion.

I keep having these "suddenlies" in the garden. This afternoon, the rain stopped, so I went out to pick some lettuce and check my strawberry boxes. As soon as I opened the backyard gate, I was set upon by a wall of insects - gnats, mosquitoes, whatever comes in a Gulf Coast blend of bugs. I saw the holes in my potato plant leaves, crushed a couple of dozen pill bugs chomping on my ripened strawberries and found and smushed the first green, horn worm I've ever seen with my own eyes as it munched away on my lettuce. My backyard garden has suddenly become a literal smorgasboard for insects; not to mention whatever else is running through there at night.

I climbed up in the mulberry tree to look over the 8' ft. back fence and saw that with all the rain we've been having, the weeds and grass that parallel the bayou behind my house have grown to be 8' - 9' tall. Somewhere in all that growth is the walking trail.

Does anybody know what's eating on my potato plants and the best way to get rid of them? This looks different from the damage the spider mites are wrecking on my tomatoes and peppers.

Many thanks.

PotHole.jpg