• Join Home Gardening Forum

Lion House Yeast Rolls

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
First off, this is not one of my recipes (although I did tweak it to use the ingredients we have here). It belongs to the Lion House, a place rich in history & a mecca for great food. It was built in 1856 by Brigham Young & the home derives its name from the stone lion sculpture resting over the front entrance. "Lion of the Lord" was also a nickname of Brigham Young, who served as President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1847 until his death in 1877. The home now houses The Lion House Pantry Restaurant, which has published numerous cookbooks.

These yeast rolls are fantastic & dead simple!!!

Lion_House_Yeast_Rolls.jpg

2 Cups warm water
2/3 Cup powdered milk
2 Tablespoons IDY
1/4 Cup sugar
2 Teaspoons salt
1 egg
1/3 Cup butter (about 5 tablespoons)
5-5 1/2 cups AP flour

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water & the milk powder, stirring to dissolve the milk. Then stir in the yeast & a tablespoon or so of the sugar. Let this rest for 5-10 minutes to allow the yeast to 'bloom'. Now add in the remaining sugar, salt, butter, egg & 2 cups of the flour.

Mix on low speed until all of the ingredients are wet, then mix on medium for 2 minutes. Stop the mixer & add 2 more cups of flour, mix on low until combined, then on medium for 2 minutes. The dough will be getting stiffer at this point. Continue adding flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough is soft & tacky, but not sticky.

Place the dough in a greased bowl & turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap & allow to rise in a warm spot until doubled in size.

Sprinkle a work surface lightly with flour. Divide the dough in half. Roll out one half of the dough into an 11x14-inch rectangle. Brush the top of the dough with half of the melted butter. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into rectangles about 2x4".

Roll the rectangles (buttered side in) & place on a greased baking pan with the seam resting on the baking sheet. Repeat with the second half of the dough.

Cover with a towel or plastic wrap & allow to rise until doubled.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Uncover the rolls & bake until they are browned, which takes about 15-20 minutes.

Brush the tops with melted butter while they are still hot. Enjoy!!!

M

Mr_Yan

Look great.

Any thoughts on how skipping the powdered milk will work. I'm borderline lactose intolerant and have been avoiding dairy. (I am being lazy and asking not going and reading my good bread cook book for how milk affects baking bread - sorry)

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Milk is added to bread for flavor, a tender crumb & softer, more golden-colored crust. I do know that dry milk is used because it easy to store & easy to use in bulk. In addition, regular milk also contains an enzyme (glutathione) which can weaken gluten (resulting in a poorer quality loaf)... the drying process destroys this enzyme, as does 'scalding' regular milk.

Other than that, I can't help you. Sorry