• Join Home Gardening Forum

Neglected cherry trees...help please :-)

S

simontown

Hi guys....new to the forum but wanted some tips on tackling the pruning of two cherry trees which I am ashamed to say have been neglected...they are I believe on dwarf stock....but are probably 20' tall now....I really don't know where to start....any ideas?

Best wishes Simon

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

M

Mr_Yan

Welcome simontown.

I'm just in the learning stage of "orchard" management. We have a peach tree and a second year transplant northstar cherry. So far we've been getting fruit and haven't messed up too much. Anyway from what I have read fruit trees are really more forgiving to bad pruning than a lot of people want to say. Back in highschool I did two seasons working the harvest on a cherry farm outside of Traverse City Michigan but I was only doing grunt work pulling tarps and didn't learn anything about the trees.

1) do you know if this is a sweet or tart cherry? Sounds like they may have slightly different pruning techniques.

Take a look at this Michigan State extension office webpage on cherry trees. I think they also have some youtube vids too.

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/topic/cherries/horticulture/pruning_and_training

S

simontown

Thanks Mr Yan the cherries are the sweet variety... although to be fair the birds are better placed to know than me [emoji23] will check out the video.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk