• Join Home Gardening Forum

New smoker build

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
I finally got caught up enough to start my new smoker build. Got fed up with my thin walled cheapy smoker and decided to build a heavy duty one. Been messing with it off and on for about a week and now its starting to actually resemble a pit. Its made from 24" pipe with a 3/8 (.375) wall thickness. Main chamber is 52" long with double doors and will have 4 slide out racks. Fire box is 24" long and will also have a slide out cooking rack for burgers, fajitas, or whatever I want to cook over an open flame. Will also have an adjustable heat baffle between the CC and FB.

Im only able to work on it here and there so progress is not going real fast, but I plan on having it close to finished by next weekend. I can not wait to get this beast home and fire it up. The 3/8 thickness should hold heat exceptionally well, which is my main reason for this build. The goal is to have more time drinking and less time tending the fire. ;) Here's a few pics of the progress so far.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Looks good so far! Have you considered adding a full length baffle to it??? I only ask because when I had an offset, I found that the area closest to the firebox was unusable due to the high heat... It would be much easier to add at this point.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Are you talking about making it a reverse flow? I considered that, but decided against reverse flow.

The baffle is 3/8" thick, so it should greatly reduce the hotspot near the firebox. I am also going to have tuning plates and that should help even the temps across the CC even more.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
No, I wasn't talking about a reverse flow, as I saw where your exhaust was located, LOL!!!. Glad to hear that you have already planned on installing the baffle/tuning plate. We were talking the same thing. Have you pick out you temp. gauges yet???

Keep posting pics of your progress in this project!!!

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Haven't picked out any temp gauges yet. Is there a particular brand that you would recommend?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Depends on the accuracy you want... I personally use Ashcroft... They're not cheap (about $50 each), but neither is a custom smoker. They are built industrial tough - all stainless construction & accurate (+/- 1 degree).

Add a 1/2" NPT flange for each gauge & you are set for life.

M

majorcatfish

sweet looking smoker...let me know when you get it done........ i will bring the beer and we can go over how i would like mine built....
till then will keep smoking with my old brinkman.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

majorcatfish

yup ashcroft are proud of their gauges, but they do hold up.
have been replacing the old pressure gauges with ashcroft when they die. have replaced with liquid filled gauges
on our chambers.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Made a little bit of progress. Got the racks framed and installed. Still need to finish the top racks. Started making the legs and frame for the wood rack but ran out of time. Wouldn't you know it, I bought 20' of 2 x 2 angle for the legs and wood rack and ended up 2" short of angle on my last leg...LOL.

Got the main doors all strapped with flat bar. Im waiting till Im done working on the inside of the pit before I weld the hinges on and install the doors, but they are pretty much ready to go. Also got my adjustable baffle fabricated. You can see the round bar, which sticks out the back of the pit and will control the positioning of the baffle. As I said before, I will also have tuning plates inside the pit to help even out the temps across the CC.

I think I should have it done mid next week and then ready for sandblast and paint. Wont be long before I can fire it up and pile meat on.

E

ErnieCopp

ACP. I sure admire your welding. There were always welders working with me or for me, so i never needed to learn myself until i moved to the farm when i was 56. I taught myself, and enjoyed working with meta,l fabricating equipment attachments for the Nursery equip, but i would have liked it a lot better if my work had looked as good as yours does.

Ernie

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Man that thing is looking great already. Can't wait to see more picture and the finished product.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Got the doors on yesterday. I have a pretty good seal around the edges. Got the legs and wood rack tacked on as well. Probably wont get much done today 'cause its cold and raining outside and I need to catch up on other stuff anyways. Still hoping to have it done and painted by the end of the week.

M

majorcatfish

45 that is sure turning out to be a really nice looking unit .......
when it is completed how much do you think it will weigh?

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Majorcatfish, my best estimate is that it will weigh in the neighborhood of 950 lbs once completed. Everything on this pit is heavy duty and all the little stuff adds up..... box for smoke stack, smoke stack itself, (4) 3/8" ends plates, 2x2 angle, wheels, front shelf ect ect. Taking it off the trailer at home should be fun.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
So I think I'm pretty much done with fabrication. Got the Ashcroft gauges on today. There's a couple tiny things to finish tomorrow but shouldn't take much time at all. The front shelf frame is fabricated. It folds down out of the way when not in use. The shelf itself will be stained wood with clear lacquer and will be screwed on after paint. My handles are going to be hatchets that will be welded to the door to look as if they are sticking in the door in a horizontal position. They will be welded on right after sandblast, just prior to paint.

Heres a few quick pics I took. Lighting isn't great on the pics but I'll get better ones once its all done. I included a pic of the handle that sticks out the back of the pit and controls the baffle position. I grinded little groves in the bar and the handle just clicks in place in whatever position you want.

M

majorcatfish

i'm not worried have a boom truck to get it off once i get home with it......:sneaky:

you should be very proud of all the hard work you have put into this build....congrats

ever thought about marketing them?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did you get the baffle/tuning plate installed under the grates in the main chamber???

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Truly impressed with your work. I would only dream of having such skills.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Thanks again for the comments. Its been a lot of work but I'm very happy with the results.

Sam - there is a permanent "baffle" inside the pit. It is adjustable, but its always in there. The "tuning plates" that you posted a picture of will be placed inside once its all completed. I need to get some 6" flat bar and cut them to length for the tuning plates. The plates are not critical at this point since they can simply be laid in there at any time. I'm just trying to get it all ready for paint right now.

I need to borrow a small spray gun from a friend but he wont be around till next week. Was hoping to get it home this weekend but looks like it wont quite be ready.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Project is done. Got sand blasted to bare metal and painted yesterday. Im not much of a painter so my yard foreman did the paint. I think everything turned out great. All that's left is for me to sand and stain the front shelf and handles, then screw the shelf on.

We're about to load it on a trailer and I'll take it home after work. Gonna get it good and seasoned up tomorrow. Ribs were on sale here locally so I'll probably throw a few racks on and possibly a pork butt. Cant wait!

M

majorcatfish

45 that's one sweeet looking smoker!!!! the axes as handles are very nice. congrats once again.

oh by the way what times dinner?