• Join Home Gardening Forum

Pepper Question

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
My kids talked me into planting both a Trinidad Scorpion pepper plant and a Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) plant. I was secretly hoping they wouldn't do well but unfortunately they're thriving and loaded down with blooms. I have absolutely no idea what to do with these things and I'm even a bit scared to pick them. Anybody have any ideas as to recipes or handling instructions or possible other uses?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Wave them over a pot of chili to impart some of the heat... Seriously, other than making some type of hot sauce that would probably be unsafe/unedible, I have no ideas to offer you.

Habaneros are as hot as I go... While I have grown them in the past, I now just buy them when I need them. They are extremely prolific & it's difficult to utilize the quantity that they produced.

M

Mr_Yan

Can you plant them under a window or the like? They'd be better than any alarm system for stopping break ins. Call them a defensive planting.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Good idea, Mr. Yan. Maybe I'll plant some behind my fence on the bayou where thieves have been know to crawl over. This would beat the thorns of pyracantha I had in mind; which in our neck of the woods we refer to as, "The Devil Bush."

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Lucky you. My pepper plants are still tiny... like still only about 5-6 inches tall.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
I've picked all my peppers and used them already. I see very few flowers on my pepper and tomato plants now, as the heavy rains we've been having knocked most of them off. Boohoo... I'm going to fertilize again as soon as the rain stops.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
One of the guys at work took all of these things because his wife likes them. She made a big batch of salsa and he brought me some yesterday. It was actually delicious and not unbearably hot ( I have a pretty high tolerance though). Got a short video of my kid eating some - If I can figure out how to load it I'll put it up here.

I froze as many of the other peppers out of my garden as I thought I could use during the winter and I took the rest and made hot pepper jelly. Turned out great!