• Join Home Gardening Forum

Potted lime tree

M

Mr_Yan

So in college about 9 years ago I was having a gin with a wedge of lime in it and that lime had a seed in it. I planted the seed to see what would happen. It grew and actually got rather large over a few years. Large enough that I no longer had space for it and I gave it to a buddy of mine (he's in north east Iowa). Over the last few weeks I've gotten these photos in my email:

When I give it to him it stood about 6 feet tall with pot and over 32" in diameter. That is when I carried it inside the branches would brush the door frame. Now the thing is flowering and possibly set a fruit.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Looks good to me. I'm surprised it took it 9 years though to just now start producing fruit.

M

Mr_Yan

From what I've read typically citrus take 7 to 10 years to first blossom when started from seed which is a major reason most are grafted. Really I'm surprised this flowered at all. The farthest south it has been is Terre Haute IN and for the last several years it's been around Wisconsin's southern boarder and it has always been growing in a pot.