• Join Home Gardening Forum

Preparing your yard before winter hits

O

Oscar Kane

Thanks for sharing! It's very informative info graphic about prepping your yard before winter.

O

Oscar Kane

Your lawn mower has been a faithful fair weather companion. So at the end of the mowing season, give it the attention it deserves. Spend just a little time prepping your mower for storage over the winter, and you’ll enjoy a happier reunion in spring.

Meadowlark

Planting Zone
This is the time of year around here that is critical to gardening in fall and winter and even into next spring. What is done now pretty much determines how the fall, winter, and next spring crops go.

Nature abhors a vacuum. I've read and experienced that bare garden soil is about the worst thing for the garden...weeds collect, soil nutrients disappear, and general decay sets in.

summer garden aug 2015 001.jpg I like to fill that summer vacuum with cover crops of peas...black eyes, cow peas, cream, zippers, etc. I have about 80% of my garden currently in peas, Some are first generation (first planting), some second generation (shredded and allowed to reseed), and some third generation (shredded reseeded twice).

I have already harvested about all we want to eat...and the remainder is for soil building, N2 addition, nematode prevention, weed prevention, insect control, and soil nutrients. I'll shred these probably in about Oct. and disc them in to get ready for fall onion planting.

M

Mr_Yan

I plan on spreading a cover crop on my in-ground bed about the time I pull my pumpkins and squash. Thinking just a fall cover crop mix - usually vetch, red clover, rye, and peas from what I have been reading.

My raised beds get covered in shredded leaves each winter.

I try to get the leaves off my grass and plants each fall as they'll smother domestic grass over the winter but about half the time we get a cover of snow while leaves are still falling. I do need to get grass seed on this lawn in about two weeks. My back yard lawn sucks.