• Join Home Gardening Forum

Rain

M

MR. L.

last 24 hours 8.7 inches zip 77435 nice. now for the influx of mosquitoes

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Yes, Houston has been under a flash flood and tornado watch since Monday, May 26, 2014. My section has gotten a total of 8 inches of rain, as of Tuesday evening. There are traffic snarls all over the city and three, surrounding counties, due to flooding and bayous/streams out of their banks. Thankfully, it has let up Tuesday evening, but they are expecting the deluge to continue through the weekend. This evening, I made a mad dash to harvest any root crops that are ready, as I'm concerned about them getting water logged or rotting by the weekend from all the rain. I went around this evening dumping out any water that has collected, but I'm already seeing mosquitos. Stay safe!

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Seems to be coming in waves, nice for a week and then the following week will rain a few days. In face it just rained this morning and a small rain just an hour ago. Working good for me as my rain barrel is getting me by for about a week, then needs filled again which the rains have been doing.

M

Mr_Yan

Seems to be coming in waves...

Waves of three days on and one or two days off. We got almost 2 inches Tuesday and 1 inch Monday. Just less than half an inch fills my 62 gallon rain pig.

E

ErnieCopp

If any of you folk want to trade some of that rain for a brush fire, be glad to trade you. Not sure if it made the news where you are but i was five miles from the San Marcos fire and about 15 from the Camp Pendleton fire. This whold country is just a tinder box waiting for a spark.

Ernie

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Whistech; So the Sugar Land/Katy side was 2.25 inches ahead of you on the rain as of Tuesday night. Did Spring get the pounding we did Weds. morning, starting around 4:00 a.m.? This added another 3 inches of rain to our previous 8 inches. So 11 inches total in 3 days for us. This system has been really noisy - lots of rumbling thunder and lightening here. I love the term, "Miracle Water." And I, too, am thankful for the rain we've been getting this spring, as well as the cooler temperatures.

And Mike, we've had the same - rain one week, none the next. I've had to water my garden very little this spring. It's nice to know we are all sharing the rain considering all the drought conditions across the nation.

Ernie; I am concerned about California and our food chain. It may sound strange, but I was reading last night how California is one of the seven states that is, literally, almost out of water. It said a lot of farmers didn't plant this year because they didn't have the water supply they needed to make a crop. I don't think this bodes very well for consumers at the grocery stores; considering so much of the nation's fruit and vegetables come from your state. I'll pray the Lord will dump a lot of rain on those fires. I am seeing this on the news.

E

ErnieCopp

Rahab,
Half of the problem is the drought, and the other half are the regulations. I just saw the other day on TV that the EPA emptied several big reservoirs back into the rivers up North to save some small fish by flushing them down the sloughs, instead of allowing the water to be used for irrigation. The regulations rank the little fish and frogs that no one ever sees over the humans. Our world has been turned upside down.

Ernie

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Ernie; Sounds like your water is going to have to come from the sky. I'll keep this in my prayers for you:)

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Rahab, we got rain Tuesday and Wednesday here in Spring. On Tuesday we got about 2 inches and on Wednesday we got about 3.75 inches. I thanked The Good Lord for every drop of it.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Amen, Whistech. You'll never hear me complaining about the rain unless it comes in the house. Thankfully, the bayou behind the house held while others all across Houston were overflowing or topping their banks. I did notice today that some leaves on my tomato plants have turned yellow. I'm sure it's from all the rain. I've got to get out and fertilize. We're supposed to be looking at more heavy rain Saturday and Sunday, so that and planting my purple hull and pinto beans may not happen until Monday. It sure was HOT and HUMID today! I think summer has finally arrived in Houston. Bleh... I've really enjoyed out extended spring temps. I could live with those all year.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
You are right about the humidity. This morning at 9:30 am the temperature was 81 degrees and the heat index was 93. About 1130 am it started raining again. I had about 1.7 inches of rain yesterday (Friday).

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Our rain is suppose to be coming... I really rushed to feed the cattle & cut the grass today, just in case.

Special Statement as of 8:51 AM CDT on May 31, 2014
...Threat of flash flooding this afternoon...

Storm motion will be slow during the day today which will allow relatively small downpours to produce localized rainfall amounts of 2 to 4 inches. This could result in flash flooding due to already saturated grounds. Stronger cells will also be capable of producing 20 to 45 mph wind gusts and frequent lightning. The tropical atmosphere in place will also be somewhat favorable for a few funnel clouds to develop. Most of the time these features do not extend all the way to the surface...however they can and sometimes do with little warning. Precipitation should wind down this evening with the loss of heating.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Oh, no, Sam - 20 to 45 mph winds? I hope you didn't get those, as that's what damages my garden the most.

We got another 2 inches of rain today (Saturday) with a lot of thunder and lightening. They had to close the SummerFest in Downtown Houston due to lightening. They had to call the police in to disperse everybody, because this is an annual music fest and people were refusing to go home. That would be the majority of 200,000 attendees. I hate crowds, so I wasn't there.

Ernie, Yeah, that Houston humidity. I went out and worked in the garden this evening for about an hour after we got another 2 inches of rain. 1/3 of my back yard is now underwater, but none of where my beds are. Guess I'll have to build these areas up next year if I decide to expand. It was only 80 degrees here, but I was pouring sweat and absolutely miserable from the humidity. The back yard feels like a Louisiana swamp. Welcome to summer, Houston style.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Winds were not near as bad as what they forecast... we only had 9-15 MPH here (heck, we have better than that on a sunny day).
The storm as over in less than 20 minutes, during which we received .42 inches.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, glad you didn't get the wind that was predicted. The rain will sure help your garden and flowers. We got another .7 inch of rain yesterday, which brings the total for the week to about 8 inches.

Last edited:

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Whistech, 14 inches of rain on the Sugar Land side in a week. No rain today. I went out and pulled what remained of my red onions and 1014 onions, so I now have space to put some more pepper plants and one, Texas Wild tomato that I kept back as replacements.

My red potato plants are starting to look bare of leaves, but they haven't fallen over yet. Do they need to fall over or the potatoes are ready and need to be harvested? I see Sam has red potatoes on the drying racks. If they're ready, should I wait a couple of weeks to let the soil dry out (since you're not supposed to water two weeks before harvest) or go ahead and pull them if they're ready?

M

MR. L.

have had so much rain my tomatoes are starting to split ( in a raised bed) oh well beats the alternative. snap beans going great cucumbers 3 plants putting out more than me and the cook can eat.
enjoying what we have.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Mr. L, I've got a few of my larger tomatoes with splitting problems from all the rain, also. The small to medium sized tomatoes are fine.