• Join Home Gardening Forum

Security Camera

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Installed a security camera last night. Very easy to do. The hardest part was running the wires to the computer.

SEC4.JPG SEC8.JPG SEC6.JPG SEC2.JPG SEC7.JPG

Last edited:
E

ErnieCopp

I installed one a couple of months ago, had to run wire out to the fence. I used a heavy duty extension cord, and a junction box at the camera to protect the plugs. Too bad they cannot run the camera with wireless. I may mount a second camera and then go to a bigger monitor.

Ernie

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
I am not sure, but i think when they say wireless cameras they are talking about it being wireless from the camera to the monitor, as mine is, but you still have to plug the camera into an outlet to power it. But the wireless technology is advancing so fast, if they do not have it now, it will probably happen soon. They did not mention having to plug the camera in when i read about it before buying it.

Ernie

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
This one hooks up to the PC via USB hook up I think. Don't ask me how, my wife does all the technical computer stuff, I just install the part and run the wires to the PC....:confused:haha

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
@finkikin what kind of camera did you go with?

I've been thinking about getting the Samsung camera system for a while. I've read many good reviews about it.

My boss from work gave it to me. It says "DSP Day and Night Camera" on it. I am not to technical so I do not know if it is a good camera or not. I do know that it is in color though. But at night you really can't make out colors, that is something I do not like and may change to another brand. But hey, it was free!

E

ErnieCopp

Go on Amazon as they have a good selection and also provide a lot more information than you can get from the typical clerk in a big store.

Just remember when they say they are wireless, you still need power where ever you mount your camera to power the wireless. I have not had any trouble with mine since i installed it and it does not take any expertise. My camera found an open channel between itself and the monitor. so i did not even need to select the proper channel. The small monitor that came with it works fine, and mine are not hooked to the TV or the computer.

Things like this change fast both technicallhy and price wise, so read the reviews on each brand and then choose the one that works best for you and your pocketbook.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I don't have a recommendation for a specific unit. The unit I have was 'gifted' to me when my past employer upgraded their system 5 yrs ago (it was top of the line back then) & still works just fine for our needs. Some of the cameras will even pan & zoom (those are hardwired) with pretty good clarity.

Ernie brings up good points that you want to remember when looking at units for your application.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I'm wanting a nice wired unit. It's been my research that most all wireless camera's don't provide near the quality a wired does unless you spend an arm and a leg.

That's why I like the Samsung units, they appear to be pretty nice and is just one single wire to run which does power and data.

E

ErnieCopp

I remembering running a camera wire over 200 feet from the lambing barn to the house, in Idaho, and it was clear, but the wireless i have here is just as clear as that one was. I do not recall what i paid for this Defender unit i have here, but it has been satisfactory. It was not the most expensive, but there were no wired ones to compare the price to.

The one i had in the lambing barn needed to cover a wide area, so i built a scanning platform, with large and small vee belt pulleys, and some switches, so i could scan nearly 180 degrees, but the main benefit from it was not from being able to see the new born lambs or a ewe having trouble, but listening to the audio, we could tell from the sounds if we needed to go check on anything.

So that saved a lot of trips to the barn on those cold February nights, but this one down here has not caught any burglars for me yet.

Ernie

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
I'm wanting a nice wired unit. It's been my research that most all wireless camera's don't provide near the quality a wired does unless you spend an arm and a leg.

That's why I like the Samsung units, they appear to be pretty nice and is just one single wire to run which does power and data.

Send a Message to Badger on RCCrawler. He is the Guru when it comes to these things.