1. Join Home Gardening Forum

Squash and Zucchini Plants

Discussion in 'Pests and Disease' started by TheGAGardener, Jun 25, 2017.

1. TheGAGardener

TheGAGardener Member

Planting Zone:
    7B
    Hello Everybody!

Thanks for helping with the corn pests. The squirrel is no longer eating the corn stalks. (y):hungover:(y)

I do have another question. Please see attached pictures for my squash plants. I don't think there is a SVB, it looks like they somewhat broke under their own weight? Also, they have mildew on them. I've been using a mixture of milk, baking soda, and dish detergent, to raise the basicity of the plants to make the mildew die off. Any suggestions on what to do with this and why the plants are looking horrible?

Also, I accidentally let my zucchini get slightly scorched. Any idea on how to fix them? It looks like they are attempting new growth, but thought I'd see if you had any suggestions.

Thank you so much for your time and response!!

Attached Files:

2. Mr_Yan

Mr_Yan Well-Known Member

Planting Zone:
    4b
    One of the pics clearly shows powdery mildew. This generally isn't a problem until it blocks enough of the leaf that photosynthesis is greatly reduced. Powdery mildew is hard to impossible to control. Baking soda pretty much won't do anything once the fungus is established and the jury is out if it would ever do anything against powdery mildew.

The pic of the stems is hard to tell what that is. It does look like something mechanically damaged the stem and you're seeing the crystallized dried sap as the yellow / brown chunks. Again this is hard to see in a photo. This could be vine borrer or something else damaged the stem.

As for the sun burn those leafs are gone. Trim out the dead and clean up the garden to control pests / problems.