• Join Home Gardening Forum

Stink Bugs?

R

Royiah

Ok I've been trying lots of things in order to get rid of these skink bugs. Nothing has worked so far. And then I started thinking did I get the wrong kind of bug. So just to make sure is this really a stink bug?
Its on the tomato.

Also what do Ya'll suggest I do about them?
Any help is appreciated.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Try a product called 'Surround'... its an organic product made of kaolin clay that was originally touted for preventing sunscald, but supposedly either repels bugs or "masks" the fruit with the thin white film it leaves.

If you don't care whether its organic or not, Carbaryl (Sevin) works quite well on stink and leaf footed bugs. If you decide to use it, use the spray (not the dust). Be aware that there's a 'withholding period' on days to harvest after treatment (read the label). Also be aware that it is a non-selective insecticide and will kill any beneficial insects as well.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
It's a stink bug. I HATE these. I was trying to grow organically last year, but in May I got this HUGE infestation of stink bugs on my tomatoes and peppers. My brother told me to use Sevin Dust and I had about one day worth of qualms about this until I saw how badly they were scarring all my fruits and realized what a plague they had become. My brother covered everything so heavily with the Sevin Dust, it looked like it had snowed. This did nothing to deter them, nada. They move in as the tomatoes were starting to show just the slightest tinge of pink. Bottom line, I've attended several classes presented by the Harris County Master Gardeners and learned there is nothing you can do to repel/kill these except pick them off by hand and drop them into a container of soapy water (and let me tell you, they bite!) Some gardeners said they have handheld Dust Busters they use to vacuum them off. This year, I bought some sticky strips from Jung Seeds to hang by the tomatoes when they start to turn pink in hopes of catching some that way. We'll see. Other than that, I guess I'll be buying myself a Dust Buster soon. Master Gardeners said to inspect your plants in the morning to catch the greatest number of harmful bugs still munching on your plants from the night before. This week, I've been hand picking pill bugs out of my strawberry box as they are having a picnic on the berries that are ripe. I read on another site that Sluggo Plus also kills pill bugs, so I guess I'll be down at Home Depot tomorrow buying some. I was also told to pick my tomatoes when they are one quarter pink and let them finish ripening in the kitchen window. MG's said the flavor is no different this way than if you let them ripen on the vine; but helps prevent damage by wild life and other pests. I think I'll have to do this in 2014, as I lost about half my crop last year to stink bugs scarring my tomatoes/peppers, birds pecking holes in them (and yes, I have two bird baths for them), raccoons, squirrels, and opossums.

M

majorcatfish

after blowing up the photo it does not look like any stink bug i have ever seen, so dragged out my books imho its a squash beetle...
google..... neem oil

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Royiah

This is probably really late but I have found Marigolds to be very effective at deterring the darn bugs. I still have them but not nearly as many as the swarm that hit me the first year I got them. I'll be planting them again this year.
Also like you Rahab222 on the advice of my dad I did use Seven dust as well. It doesn't work and I believe it never will. All poison does is make the bugs stronger and more likely to be immune to said poison later down the road. Plus I don't like the idea of eating the very foods said poison is put on. It's meant to kill living things; it's bound to affect us sooner or later.
The Sticky tape sound interesting I may try it.
While true about the taste it's not true about the nutrient's Veggies and Fruits gain all their Nutrient's as they ripen Picking them while their green takes away that benefit. Though I can understand one's want to pick them before an animal gets them so I can't really say no to that. :/
As for the birds I used some old CD's by linking them on a string and hanging them in my garden. Though I had to move them every so often because the birds got used to them. But it worked so you may want to try it.
Sorry to say I can't help you with the Rodents the only advice I have for that is to get yourself a dog breed that was bred for hunting them. I have Scottish Terriers and I have never had a problem with rodents. Can't tell you how many time's I've found a dead opossum, Rabbit, Squirrel ect... But you'll have to train them not to dig in your garden because they will do so.

M

majorcatfish

five o'clocks work great as a trap plant as well.
as for opossums raccoons skunks have live traps for them. depends on my mood either they go for a ride or a 22.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
like you Rahab222 on the advice of my dad I did use Seven dust as well. It doesn't work and I believe it never will. All poison does is make the bugs stronger and more likely to be immune to said poison later down the road. Plus I don't like the idea of eating the very foods said poison is put on. It's meant to kill living things; it's bound to affect us sooner or later.

Like I said, use the liquid spray, not the dust.

Sevin (carbaryl) was first introduced commercially in 1958. It remains the third-most-used insecticide in the United States for home gardens & agriculture. BTW, it is also widely used as a flea power for dogs & cats. It is also the active ingredient in Carylderm shampoo used to combat human head lice. When used according to the label, it is totally safe.

Of course it's your choice whether to utilize it or not as part of your IPM system.

E

ErnieCopp

We had a completely different Stinkbug in Idaho, that would come lnto the woolshed in the Autumn looking for a warm place to winter over. I do not know what the younger stages looked like but these were brown flying bugs just over an inch long with slender bodies. They smelled terrible, I did not try to control them, i just stored the fleeces in plastic bags and they did no harm.

Ernie

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Roylah, Yes, I plant plenty of marigolds and herbs throughout my garden to help deflect pests. I hung bird netting last year to protect my tomatoes from birds, but after an adult Mockingbird from a nest in my backyard hung himself on one, I waivered. Then, a fledgling Mockingbird got caught in a different net and five, adult Mockingbirds were SCREAMING for its life when my nephew and I went out to turn the compost - because the noise of the adults had drawn my cat's attention and he was stealthily making his way towards the fledgling caught in the netting. Those adult Mockingbirds really put up a ruckus to try to save this one baby. My nephew grabbed the cat and threw him in the house and then came back bearing scissors to help me cut the baby out of the netting. Baby Bird scooted under the fence and into some brambles along the bayou on the backside of the fence. My whole front yard is established for birds, butterflies, hummers, etc. I feed them there and also provide water in the backyard garden. After this incident, the nephew and I immediately cut down all the netting because it wasn't worth saving my tomatoes at the risk of killing or injuring the birds; which I pamper.

My garden dog, Lily, is part of my family and goes where we go. In the house, the car, the truck or the garden to hang out with me. Chasing the birds and squirrels away from the feeders is her delight. We had lots of outdoor dogs where I grew up on the farm - mostly for security. But these days, I can't just leave a dog in the backyard, all alone. In my older, wiser years, Lily goes with me. The only thing she doesn't get to do is sleep on the bed:)

I bought some wire on a roll with squares too small for the birds to get their heads through. I just need to find time to assemble these, as I'm still in planting mode due to our really strange winter weather. Though I must admit, I'm enjoying the extension of the cooler temperatures on the Gulf Coast and I'm not in any hurry for it to get hot:)

M

majorcatfish

here on the east coast this is a stink bug
DSC_0002.JPG
it was first found in pa years ago, they determined that it was brought over from europe in cargo containers. and ever since migrating south.
the first year we had them they roosted by the hundreds in the walls of our house during the winter, it was a on going battle to remove them
it was not uncommon to remove 20 per day. this year we have only have had a handful, hopefully this winter killed off a good portion of them.
found that neem oil insecticide works on them as well...
by the way this stick bug was on my ceiling and when the flash went off it let loose a fart had to open the windows.

once a bug bites something that has been sprayed with neem it stops eating, so it starves to death...

E

ErnieCopp

The Idaho stinkbugs look like that but not as wide. Maybe you feed yours better than they do in Idaho. lol.
Looks like they are related, and we were a long way from any harbors but of course the containers go everywhere.

Ernie

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
On the Texas Gulf Coast, mine were light gray or light tan last year. The younguns started out as red. I saw the babies first and wondered what they were? Unfortunately, I found out as they took over my tomato and pepper plants. This year, I'm trying the sticky paper strips I ordered. I'm also buying a Dust Buster to suck them off my tomatoes. Yes, I really did have that many.