• Join Home Gardening Forum

Too Many Tomatoes

D

dashboardc33

We have an overabundance of tomatoes in our garden. I just can't believe how many we have gotten this summer. I blanched a bunch of them yesterday and froze them, but I'm not sure what I should do with the rest of them. We have been having tomatoes for snack everyday. What do you do with all of your extra tomatoes?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Go to the recipe forum... lots of ways to use them.

We had a lot too, I threw about a few hundred pounds of them in the 'hole'. We have a lot of everything canned/frozen for use over the winter.

L

LeahT

One of my favorite things to do with an abundance of tomatoes is to dehydrate them. I also can tomatoes, some plain some with basil or other herbs. From the dehydrated tomatoes I can make tomato powder to add to stews, soups or make tomato paste, and tomato sauce. Since tomatoes in oil don't last for a long time I can make small batches of tomatoes in olive oil.

I also donate some to my local food bank and give some to elderly neighbors that can't grow gardens anymore.

S

Susan

I either make bottles of stewed tomatoes or make salsa. We love salsa in our house. It is a great way to use up lots of tomatoes.
Donating some to the local food bank is always an excellent idea.

A

anders8

I am so super jealous! Most of ours were drowned out due to early season rains. I was able to save some and ate a lot of fried green tomatoes for a while.

When we get too many, I make a lot of salsa or pico de gallo. and keep that on hand. basically it's like snacking on tomatoes, but at least it switches the flavors up!

N

noodle

I've made tomato relish before with my extras. It lasts a long time and is always welcomed as a gift. The poster above who mentioned a food bank had a great idea too! I actually had never thought about that. The local places here usually only take cans and packet food, but I'm sure if I contacted them they would find a way to distribute fresh fruit or vegetables.

T

Treeca86

My son and I love 'mater sandwiches. Mayonnaise, tomatoes, fresh cracked pepper, and saffron salt. Yummy. Yummy. Love a tomato, basil, mozzarella salad, too. Or any sald with fresh tomatoes mixed in. My son is bananas over tomatoes, so we eat lot
of tomatoes on my house.

I

IcyBC

I would freeze them to use in making soup, or stew during the winter! You can make BLT sandwiches too on some days :) I love BLT with fresh tomato slices! After you have done what you want, donate them like @Susan has said to the food bank sounds like a fantastic idea too.

D

daisy

Tomato relish and salsa are my go-to's when I have a lot of tomatoes to use up.
I also love using them sliced on a homemade pizza or greek salad, or my favourite, caprese salad with mozzarella and basil.
Do you have any friends who might appreciate some fresh tomatoes? I've been the lucky recipient of a bushel of produce from someone's garden before and it was awesome, I'm sure it would be appreciated, plus you'd be lightening your load a little!

S

Susan

My mom use to make this awesome red tomato relish. It was so good. She would always give me a few bottles every year. I have never attempted to make it though. My mom passed away a little over a year ago and sadly I never did get the recipe from her.