• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Same area or somewhere else? Out of state is easy, just get the wife on board, start job searches & do it. Lots of better paying jobs out there & much lower taxes as well. Illinois is as bad as California & NY, IHMO.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a pot of pinto beans.

Refilled 2 more hummingbird feeders.

Did the weekly shopping.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Started the day off by getting the crap scared out of me... I picked up the lid of the Weber Kettle (I had left it on the ground to allow the coals to burn out) & there was an aggressive 3" thick cottonmouth under it. It came after me & I maneuvered for the shovel, then the fight started... NOT a good way to start my day... I guess I'll sit on the back porch with the shotgun today & thin them out as they swim across the tank. I hate them things.

Made bread.

Helped Mrs. Ranch make 3 batches of pulled pork enchiladas, some for supper & some that will be vacuum packed/frozen for later use.

Enchiladas1.jpg

Enchiladas2.jpg

Last edited:
K

ksk

Dang Ranch,not a good start.I have killed 2 copperheads this past week.No cottonmouths.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
While we also have copperheads & rattlers here, they are somewhat benign in the fact that they prefer to slither off to avoid a confrontation... not so with cottonmouths. They can be aggressive & will chase you if they feel threatened... They are always around, as one of the tanks is 25-30' from the back porch.

K

ksk

I have a tank about the same distance from my house and killed a couple cottonmouths the first year we moved here[2 years ago].Have not seen one since.Can you believe the wind? My potatoes and corn are laying over.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Continued mulching the garden. Almost done, maybe 1 more day.

Watered the garden (lightly), the asparagus bed & the Crape Myrtles.

Did the computer maintenance (updates & backups).

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Started cleaning the onions that are sufficiently dried. We diced, vacuum packed & then froze for future use (we normally do about 33 lbs this way). Later in the week, we'll start slicing more onions for dehydrating.

Seasoned up some strip steaks that I will grill for tonight's supper, along with some baked potatoes & garlic bread. Mrs. Ranch is making a bowl of tomato/onion/cucumber salad.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Started cleaning the onions that are sufficiently dried. We diced, vacuum packed & then froze for future use (we normally do about 33 lbs this way). Later in the week, we'll start slicing more onions for dehydrating.

Seasoned up some strip steaks that I will grill for tonight's supper, along with some baked potatoes.
Ranch I could use some rain.After mowing my pastures,I'm dry.How are your potatoes looking? The wind keeps mine blown over.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The potatoes will be ready for harvest (weather permitting) in the next week or two, as the tops are starting to die back... I imagine yours are almost ready as well.

K

ksk

The potatoes will be ready for harvest (weather permitting) in the next week or two, as the tops are starting to die back... I imagine yours are almost ready as well.

I think I planted mine a couple days after you.It would be nice to pull some around Mother's Day where as I can give away a bunch.

M

Mr_Yan

frost warning posted for tonight. I should be fine. Forecast low is for 35 and I've read that peach and cherry blossoms are good to about 28 F.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We didn't get the amount of rain that was forecast yesterday (just lots of lightning), so this morning I watered the garden, asparagus bed, flower beds & trees.

Cleaned & sliced another bucket of onions, then put them in the dehydrator. Here's a picture of yesterday's:

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Started another task / project with "This isn't a good idea". I tried using my little Toro leaf shredder vac to shred the left over trimmings of my privet. It didn't work well.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Sicker than a dog last night & today...

You too huh? I've been down and out with bronchitis for the last few days. Feeling like hell, haven't slept in days. That strong North wind the other day made a terrible dust storm out of the cotton field across the road and started all this.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I'm still not feel great, but I need to get stuff done... so I bottled up the previous batches of dried onions for storage & then cleaned & sliced another bucket of onions, then put them in the dehydrator.

Watered the hanging baskets & pots.

Refilled 2 of the 6 hummingbird feeders. Starting to feel better after moving around some...

Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Clean the dehydrator in preparation for the potato harvest.

Cut the grass at the home site, along the roads/entries & around the barn.

M

Mr_Yan

Built two trellises for my new garden yesterday and applied a coat of water seal to each of them today. I suggest you paint on the sealer then assemble a trellis as painting these this was ridiculous.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled 2 more hummingbird feeders... we still have about 20-25 entertaining us here.

Made bread.

Watered the garden, asparagus bed & the Crape Myrtles.

Received my new 5 blade mandolin slicer & 'Red Dragon' pear burner (the gas tube was starting to get pitted after 8 yrs). Now I need to go get all the propane tanks refilled.

Got a pot of pinto beans soaking for tomorrow.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a pot of pinto beans.

Refilled 2 more hummingbird feeders.

I was going to start spraying the road, but it starting to sprinkle here again (was not in the forecast)... Had I known, I wouldn't have watered the garden yesterday.

Decided to process (diced) the rest of the onions for vacuum packing/freezing rather than risk them going bad in storage. This has been a weird year for onions here...

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Sick kid on the couch yesterday and today.

Took half a day vacation yesterday and:
  • hung my two new trellises
  • moved an old trellis to a different garden
  • got talked into trimming my large maple bush / tree
Trimming the tree should allow much more light to get to my lawn.

-------

Today after work I finished cutting up the maple branches and mowed the lawn