• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled the last 2 hummingbird feeders.

Harvested the potatoes... somewhat disappointing as we had only about half the yield that we normally have. Reformed the row & re-mulched it. Everything else in the garden seems to be doing well.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Harvested the potatoes... somewhat disappointing as we had only about half the yield that we normally have. Reformed the row & re-mulched it. Everything else in the garden seems to be doing well.
I'm still several days from harvesting potatoes.I did cook my first pot of mustard greens.

K

ksk

What do you attribute to the smaller yield?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Probably the weather. Everything else was exactly the same. The ratio of large/medium/small is consistent with past harvests, just not their numbers.

While last year was wet, it was also warmer... This year is wet, but the temperatures are much cooler (we are still experiencing morning temps in the 50 & low 60s & it's May).

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, sorry your harvest was not up to par. Are you planning on growing a fall potato crop? If so, when do you usually plant your fall potatoes?

M

Mr_Yan

I was "upgraded" to Win 10 at work this week. This is the second round of computers being transitioned to 10 in the engineering department and it's not going well. I'm really glad we didn't change from 7 at home and chose to go with Chrome when we bought a new laptop.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Are you planning on growing a fall potato crop? If so, when do you usually plant your fall potatoes?

I normally do, however I won't this fall as I don't have enough small potatoes (it takes 90 of them) to make it worth the effort... As you probably know, feed stores only carry seed stock in the early spring. Had we had a sufficient number of small potatoes to plant a row, they would have gone in around Sept. 21st here...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town & got the propane tanks refilled, then assembled the new 'Red Dragon' pear burner & leak checked it.

Took pictures of the garden's progress.

'Dieter' is 19 weeks old today & now weighs 62 lbs. so we will again adjust the amount he receives at each meal. He isn't so little anymore...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
They are cured in trays that allow for separation & constant air circulation in our 'party barn' next to the garden.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping... scored a real good deal on 15 lbs of beef fajita meat!!! Also got a whole eye-of-round to make more jerky for Dieter this weekend (he likes his lean meat).

Clean & refill the wasp traps.

Burn the trash.

Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Spent a quiet afternoon drinking margaritas with Mrs. Ranch & playing ball with Dieter (a tired Dieter is a good Dieter). Life is good!!!

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

I have something I suspect to be a chipmunk digging up my garden. Time to start trapping.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Removed the fat cap & silver skin from the eye-of-round. I'll throw it on the smoker when I do our supper just to give it a hint of 'seasoning'. Tomorrow morning I'll slice it & put it in the dehydrator.

Cleaned & vacuum packed/froze the beef fajita meat.

Beef_Fajita_Meat.jpg

Mrs. Ranch is making her Potato Salad to go along with tonight's supper.

Harvested most of the radishes. I'll replant more tomorrow.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Spent three hours at the community garden.
  • Mounted a hawk roost in hopes it will give the raptors a better perch and they can keep the ground squirrels in check.
  • Planted another 25' row of potatoes. These are a mix of kennebec, youcon gold, and magic molly purple left over from my co-worker's garden.
  • Seeded three rows of dwarf single flower sunflowers which will share the area with my butternut squash and pumpkins.
  • Set up my tomato trellis.
  • Got a mild sun burn.
Bought some petunias and strawberry plants for back home.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus bed, flower beds & all the trees. The next few days will be in the 90s...

Sprayed RoundUp around the home site.

Sliced & dehydrate the eye-of-round for Dieter's jerky.

Dieter_Jerky.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Gave Mrs. Ranch a pedicure as a belated Mothers Day present this morning. Sounds weird, but old wives like them kind of things...

Then I prepped tonight's supper... smoked pork chops & almond stuffed dates (wrapped in bacon) will be served with Mrs. Ranch's potato salad for supper tonight.

Supper_051517.jpg

Got a pot of pinto beans soaking for tomorrow.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We went to town this morning & got our haircuts.

Continued weaving the squashes & cucumbers (all of which have set fruit) up unto the bull panel trellis'. Harvested some jalapenos for use in the pinto beans.

Made a pot of pinto beans.

Mrs. Ranch is making another batch of potato salad.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Last week we were in the mid 60s F for daytime highs. This week we're in the upper 80s F for highs.

Last night we had a nice T-storm roll though with quarter size hail about 5 miles from here.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made rolled wheat bread.

Refilled the salt reservoir for the water softener.

Start prepping the cast aluminium porch furniture for painting (wire wheeling & sanding). This is going to take a while...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to the store to pick up some limes & green peppers for this afternoon. Seasoned up beef fajita meat for supper tonight.

Sprayed the 2 coats of paint on 2 of the porch chairs so we have something to sit on tomorrow... I still have to finish prepping the rest of the set.

Watered the hanging baskets & pots on the porches.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Well I have a pair of cardinals building a nest in my lilac bush. That wouldn't be a problem except for their territorial nature and the lilac is within arms length of the gate in and out of our yard. I've removed two nest starts since 4 p.m.