• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

K

ksk

Canned 4 pints of banana peppers. Scatterd showers in the area.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled the regular bird feeders.

Treat fire ants in the yard again.

Picked 13 more jalapenos (for tonight's supper) & some of the fresh soybeans (for edamame). I also harvested a few cucumbers & a few tomatoes to give to friends.

1st_Soybean_Harvest_060617.jpg

Tomato_Cuke_Harvest_060617.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested more cucumbers, green beans, tomatoes, peppers & eggplant. Mrs. Ranch took them to the gal in town that does our haircuts. While she was gone, I 'pinned' the watermelon vines to the ground to keep the wind from rolling them around.

Harvested more soybeans that I'll boil & hull prior to freezing/vacuum packing. Between yesterday & today, we now have 10 - 8 ounce bags put up.

Soybeans_Processed_060717.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finally had a day with very light winds, so I sprayed the all roads & fence lines with RM43 to kill all the vegetation on them.

Watered the hanging baskets.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cleaned & refilled the regular bird feeders.

Killed remaining fire ant mounds in the yard.

Harvested tomatoes for canning. Got 9 quarts, not a bad start.

Also harvested another bowl of green beans (we'll process them tomorrow).

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Up at the garden and going by 6 a.m. Weeded and ran a sprinkler and spread mulch. Turned a white tee-shirt into a blotchy tan tee-shirt which really stinks.

Oh yeah my new pitch fork all fits together just need to wait for the handle to finish oiling before I drive it all home and post more pics.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Prepped the green beans. Some were set aside to be served with tonight's supper & the rest were blanched, vacuum packed & frozen (4 more 1 lb bags).

Seasoned up 3 strip steaks for supper. They'll be smoked over post oak & hickory coals at 225 for about 25 minutes. Mrs. Ranch has got the green beans & potatoes ready & will make a salad of tomatoes, onion & smoked provolone cheese (drizzled with olive oil & balsamic vinegar).

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Bands of rain moving through here today, but I managed to harvested another 5 lbs of green beans, 6 cucumbers, 5 lbs of tomatillos/tomatoes & some peppers (all for our mail lady). Then picked 14 more jalapenos for stuff japs to go along with of beef fajitas that will be served for supper tonight.

When we got a break in the rain, I ran out to picked 60 more jalapenos so I can make a double batch of 'Holy Jalapeno Sauce'. Bear in mind, this is a 15" bowl to give you a perspective of the size of the peppers this year.

Jalapenos_Harvest_061317.jpg

Time to start making the sauce!!! Notice how thick the side walls are... this is an extremely good year!!!

Jalapeno_Sauce_1.jpg

Jalapeno_Sauce_2.jpg
After pureeing & running it through a fine strainer (to remove the seeds/skins) we have the final product. The essence of jalapeno!!!

Jalapeno_Sauce_3.jpg
Ended up with 6 pints, which should be enough to last us until next season!!!

Jalapeno_Sauce_4.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

75 when I woke up, 94 forecast high, no rain for about 13 days

hilled potatoes
watered
weeded onions that I didn't finish on Saturday
seeded a row of pole beans
mowed with the tractor but it looks like we need a hay rake now - the grass was seat high on the tractor

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Since we didn't receive all that much rain yesterday, I watered the garden & asparagus bed. Also watered the trees & flowerbeds. Summer has arrived 2 - 3 weeks early this year... temps are in the upper 90s for the next 10 days (I wouldn't be surprised if we see 100 degrees this weekend).

Dump some older canned stuff so Mrs. Ranch could sterilize the jars.

Moved all the hay from the pasture into the hay trap & the rest of it into the hay barn.

Spread gravel in all the low spots of the roads.

Moved the cattle to the front pasture.

Made Spanish rice with tomatoes & peppers as a side for our supper per Mrs. Ranch's request. All-in-all, it was an extremely busy day.

Spanish_Rice_061417.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus bed, trees & flower beds. It will be 98 degrees in the shade today & the heat index will be well into the 100s.

Did the weekly shopping. Mrs. Ranch also told me to get a kiddie pool for Dieter (he does not like this heat).

Replaced the monitor on my computer.

Replaced another garden hose.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Cleaned out the living room and dining room. Started edge sanding the 90 year old oak floors. I'll rent a floor sander tomorrow. Hope to have coats of finish going down Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. Using the water based Varithane brand floor finish that has held up far better than the typical poly.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested more jalapenos for supper tonight (and no, I never get tired of stuffed japs).

The 2nd wave of eggplant is maturing, so I harvested a 5 gallon bucket full. These were prepped & put in the dehydrator for later use. We'll vacuum pack them upon completion.

Then I picked another tub of tomatoes. Tomorrow we'll start roasting the 'Health Kick' romas for spaghetti sauce & then can the 'Heatmasters'. You Texas boys really need to try these 'Heatmaster' slicing tomatoes, the flavor is fantastic!!!

Filled up Dieter's new swimming pool but he has yet to get in it... He does seem to like it as a Texas-sized water bowl though!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden & asparagus bed at sun up. It's HOT here!!!

Prepped the tomatoes for roasted spaghetti sauce. After roasting, we skinned & pureed them. It is simmering now, so we're almost done.

Spaghetti_Sauce1_061817.jpg

Spaghetti_Sauce2_061817.jpg

Going to try something different tonight for supper. A gal from Arkansas turned us unto these & since we gave an abundance of jalapenos...

Last edited:
K

ksk

Watered the garden & asparagus bed at sun up. It's HOT here!!!

Prepped the tomatoes for roasted spaghetti sauce. After roasting, we skinned & pureed them. It is simmering now, so we're almost done.

Going to try something different tonight for supper. A gal from Arkansas turned us unto these & since we gave an abundance of jalapenos...

Wow.We are trying those tomorrow night.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Vacuum packed the dehydrated eggplant from the other day.

Laddled out the roasted spaghetti sauce into containers (meal-sized proportions) & put them in the freezer. When frozen solid, we'll pop them out of the containers & vacuum packed them. We do it this way as they are easy to stack like bricks in the freezer.

Canned the 'Heatmaster' tomatoes. Got 9 more quarts done.

Harvested about 4 gallons of green beans, a tub of tomatoes & 4 more cucumbers.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus bed, trees & flower beds.

Made bread & wiener buns.

Harvested half the soy beans, pulling the plants up as I did. One heck of a crop, they were loaded!!! We finally got them all processed...

Made jalapeno popper dogs on the grill again for supper. Mrs. Ranch made macaroni salad to go with them. Next time, I want to wrap them in bacon.

Last edited: