• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the grass ahead of the predicted rains (tropical storm 'Cindy'). Winds will be at 15-17 MPH this afternoon. We need some rain so hopefully 'Cindy' provides it.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Over the weekend I refinished about 400 square feet of original oak floors in my house. This place was built around 1920 to 1925. I'm still a little sore. Tomorrow we can move furniture back into our living room and dining room.

M

Mr_Yan

Went up to my church garden to find that some jackass harvested and stole my whole 25 foot row of broccoli. From what the heads looked like on Monday I estimated that there was close to 30 pounds of broccoli there. I can handle animals, weather, my own planning stupidity but this was theft by some scumbag.

Not sure if I should put up a trail camera or quit this garden.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I can handle animals, weather, my own planning stupidity but this was theft by some scumbag.

It's a common problem with community gardens... I hate thieves as well.

Not sure if I should put up a trail camera or quit this garden.

If they see it, they'll steal it as well. That too is a common problem on hunting leases... I had a $300 corn feeder stolen a few years ago.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered everything this morning as we didn't get a single drop of the predicted rain. So much for the "life threatening flooding" that was hyped here...

Harvested the rest of the soybeans, pulling up the plants as I went. Then processed & vacuum packed/froze them.

Harvested another 2 tubs of tomatoes,green beans, eggplant & some cucumbers.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

It's a common problem with community gardens... I hate thieves as well.

I'll go a little further than you and say theft at community gardens is universal. Until this year the theft here has been minimal but this year it is getting ridiculous. At least 50 pounds of broccoli has gone plus several kohl rabi and a lot of onion. From the sounds of it I think this is one or maybe two people doing their grocery shopping and stocking their freezer.

We've been working with the security team at church and looking at expanding the CCTV that the church already has going. There's a good chance that any cars entering or exiting the lot are being recorded. With how the church is located there's almost no other way (bike or walk) of getting in there safely.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made rolled wheat bread.

Did the weekly shopping. As they were on sale, I stocked on baby back ribs & pork shoulders (2 of which will be de-boned/cured for buck board bacon).

Also picked up 6 ears of sweet corn. I stripped the kernels off of the cob & mixed them with fresh soybeans (that I held back from yesterday) to make succotash. It's so hot, this is all we are having for supper along with sliced tomatoes & cucumber spears...

Succotash_062317.jpg

My God is it hot!!! It's 98 degrees on the covered back porch & the fan doesn't help at all... heat index is 107.1 degrees. I'll be watering for sure at sun up tomorrow...

Last edited:
K

ksk

Made rolled wheat bread.

Did the weekly shopping. As they were on sale, I stocked on baby back ribs & pork shoulders (2 of which will be de-boned/cured for buck board bacon).

Also picked up 6 ears of sweet corn. I stripped the kernels off of the cob & mixed them with fresh soybeans (that I held back from yesterday) to make succotash.

My God is it hot!!! It's 98 degrees on the covered back porch & the fan doesn't help at all... heat index is 107.1 degrees. I'll be watering for sure at sun up tomorrow...
Same here Ranch,I'm showing 99 on the front porch at 6:30 pm.Will be watering early also.Made a run to HEB in El Campo for weekly shopping.Soaking cucumbers over night to can dill spears tomorrow.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Been busy this spring.. I've put up the following so far:

95 Pints of stewed tomatoes
12 Quarts and 8 Pints Jalapeno dill sauerkraut
18 Quarts jalapeno dill pickles
11 Quarts of sweet pickles
8 Quarts jalapeno bread and butter pickles
2 Quarts hot salsa
1 Quart pickled jalapenos
15 half pints of tomato sauce
1 Gallon of frozen jalapenos

The whole counter is full of ripening tomatoes and the squash and green beans are just starting to really put on out in the garden. Got a late start on the garden this spring but it's been really mild here so far this year and things are doing great. Picked 20 lbs of blackberries today at my buddies place - going to make a big batch of jelly and put the rest up for making that crazy good pie that Ranch posted up in the recipe forum. Checked on the stash of mustang grapes that we found down at the end of the neighborhood this morning and they're ripe and ready to pick too. That'll be tomorrows task - along with mowing the dang grass - AGAIN.. seems like it's twice a week now with all this rain.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered everything.... And as luck would have it, it's now raining (2.35" thus far).

Made Dieter's 'sweet potato jerky' in the dehydrator. He likes these almost better than meat jerky...

Roasted the tomatoes for the last batch of spaghetti sauce.

Trimmed/boned out 2 pork shoulders & put them in the curing solution. They'll be ready in about 2 weeks. I saved the bones & will throw them in the spaghetti sauce tomorrow.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Watered everything.... And as luck would have it, it's now raining.

Made Dieter's 'sweet potato jerky' in the dehydrator. He likes these almost better than meat jerky...

Roasted the tomatoes for the last batch of spaghetti sauce.
I was walking out to the garden to water when the the rain hit.I'm close to two inches.

M

Mr_Yan

The cost of disorginization.

I just spent three hours walking around my house looking for tools:
Roller pan - logically hanging from the basement ceiling
roller handle extension - part in a toy box, part in the mud room, part on the basement floor
drywall mud knives - under the sand paper on an out of the way shelf
T15 driver bit - in with the switch plate covers

Projects take at least 4x longer with kids around

K

ksk

We ended up with 2.9 rain.Nothing standing,all soaked up.Canned 10 quarts crushed tomatoes and 12 pints dill pickle spears.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished making the last batch of spaghetti sauce & canned it in pint jars. Ended up with 12 pint jars (one jar lid didn't 'plink' so Mrs. Ranch froze it)...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested the green beans for the last time, then pulled up the plants.

Harvested a couple more cucumbers & the 1st spaghetti squash (there are a number of them that will be ready within a week).

Harvested another 1 1/2 tubs of tomatoes. I going to dehydrate a batch & then give away the rest.

Killed the fire ant mounds that popped up in the yard after the last rain.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mrs. Ranch & I went to town to get our haircuts.

Dropped off a tub of tomatoes for the women that run the L.U.C.I.E.S. Project & to say hi to all the dogs.

Made a 2nd trip to town to pick up a replacement battery for Mrs. Ranch's Jeep as it was dead this morning. Also got one for the garden tractor as it was going bad as well. After putting them on the charger to top them off, I installed them.

Received 0.71" of rain this afternoon...

Last edited:
K

ksk

Had the jalapeno popper dogs for the second time.This time I wrapped the poppers with a strip of bacon.Thanks again Ranch,these things are addictive.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cleaned/refilled the hummingbird feeders.

Cleaned/refilled the wasp traps.

Watered the hanging baskets & replace a broken 'hanger' on one of them.

Killed more fire ant mounds in the yard.

Harvested 13 more jalapenos for stuffed japs. I'll also make our version of Spanish Rice using diced jalapenos, onions & tomatoes (all from the garden) to accompany the stuffed japs.

Harvested another half tub of tomatoes that will go in the dehydrator.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Prepped the half tub of tomatoes & got them in the dehydrator. I don't normally count, this time I did... 95 tomatoes, LOL!!!

Cut the grass.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Yesterday we got 5.4 inches of rain - got to test my new rain gauge. Weather radio went off several times for T-storms and flash flood warnings. Two tornado warnings issued and the county tornado sirens went off twice. Several trees down between here and work.

Starting to rain again and I hear some rumbles of thunder.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping with Mrs. Ranch (she said she needed a break from Dieter).

The tomatoes are finished dehydrating (we'll vacuum pack/freeze them tomorrow.). We'll start another batch tomorrow, because Dieter likes them as well!!!

Dehydrated_Tomatoes.jpg

Last edited: