• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

0.5 inches of rain yesterday.

Got a 55 gallon blue barrel I will make planters out of.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Got a pot of pinto beans going & we vacuum packed/froze the dehydrated tomatoes.

After that, I picked 25 jalapenos. 18 will be stuffed as a side dish for tonight's supper & the remaining will be used in Mrs. Ranch's 'pico de gallo' & the pinto beans.

I also picked another tub of tomatoes.

Replaced the UPS battery & did the monthly maintenance on my primary computer.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Replaced the batteries in all the smoke detectors. Ya'll ever notice that they always seem to tell you it's time in the middle of the night??? GRRRR!!!

Burn trash & garden debris.

Start my 'beginning-of -the-month' chores.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

That reminds me I need to test my smoke and CO detectors this weekend.

Don't just change the batteries the detectors themselves have a finite lifespan. Remember smoke detectors only have an effective life of 10 years and CO detectors only have an effective life of 7 years.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished my monthly chores.

Start dehydrating another batch of tomatoes.

Watered the hanging baskets & pots on the porches.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
K

ksk

Pulled pork for tomorrow.Daughter came by and leaving with squash,tomatoes,cucumbers,egg plant and bell peppers.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered the garden/asparagus bed, all the trees & the flower beds.

Made a triple batch of BBQ rub as I was practically out. Then prepped the baby-back ribs that I'll smoked later (I got the kettle set up for this task). Mrs. Ranch is making her potato salad & we already have pinto beans to round out our 4th of July supper.

Finished up dehydrating the tomatoes that we started yesterday.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Was up at the community garden at 7 a.m.

• Finished weeding
  • Pulled the rest of the row of kale (donated 9.3 pounds split into 4 bags)
  • Pulled out my broccoli
  • Mulched - spread about 4 yards
  • Sowed two rows of kale and one row of beets
  • Got a mild sunburn
  • Finished off two large water bottles and a travel mug of coffee
Mid way though my wife and kids joined me for a little work:

She's helping the beet seed germinate

This one is aerating the garden

M

Mr_Yan

And I broke my boot lace. These were WAY too long. Remove 24" from it and it will still tie the boot.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Took Dieter to the vet for his 'snip-snip' procedure... boy is the house quiet without him here. Update: Dieter is back home & somewhat hungover... he isn't very happy right now.

On the garden side, I harvested 18 more jalapenos to accompany our supper tonight. I also harvest the first cantaloupe & it's almost a biggie!!! I still holding out for a 6 pounder...

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Got about 0.2" of rain at home. Much more at the community garden but don't have a gauge up there. There was several inches of water in the wheelbarrow that I was using yesterday.

I got up to the church garden just as the scumbag thief was caught harvesting again.Told off and yelled at but then she took the position of victim - the low life scumbag. Her name and such was collected along with license plate number. She was caught in the act with a large garbage bag being loaded. She was indiscriminate in what was being picked - nice large cabbage, zucchini that hadn't even opened the flowers, carrots smaller than my finger, tomatoes that are green and rock hard, and more broccoli.

Got home in time to read more of The Hobbit to my kids as the before bed book.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cleaned the racks & Teflon mats for the dehydrator.

Harvested 7 more cantaloupe this morning & put them in the dehydrator. Candy from the garden!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Made bread.

Cleaned & tenderized 16 lbs of beef fajita meat. Mrs. Ranch willl vacuum pack/freeze it... Guess what's for supper tonight, LOL!!!

Cut the grass.

Grilled the fajitas & the onion/green peppers. Also made a batch of our Spanish rice to go with them.

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Was up at the community garden at 7 a.m.

• Finished weeding
  • Pulled the rest of the row of kale (donated 9.3 pounds split into 4 bags)
  • Pulled out my broccoli
  • Mulched - spread about 4 yards
  • Sowed two rows of kale and one row of beets
  • Got a mild sunburn
  • Finished off two large water bottles and a travel mug of coffee
Mid way though my wife and kids joined me for a little work:

She's helping the beet seed germinate

This one is aerating the garden

Looks like everyone is having a good time!

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Took Dieter to the vet for his 'snip-snip' procedure... boy is the house quiet without him here. Update: Dieter is back home & somewhat hungover... he isn't very happy right now.

On the garden side, I harvested 18 more jalapenos to accompany our supper tonight. I also harvest the first cantaloupe & it's almost a biggie!!! I still holding out for a 6 pounder...

I recon I wouldn't be happy either Ranch LOL!! Hope he's (Dieter) doing better!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I recon I wouldn't be happy either Ranch LOL!! Hope he's (Dieter) doing better!

He doesn't seem to miss the 'boys' although he really didn't like the stitches at all. We are amazed at the almost immediate change in his behavior, as his aggressiveness practically vanished overnight (he was very aggressive & was similar to my male Dobermans in that trait)... At 80+ lbs, with a full set of teeth, he was somewhat dangerous... even with us. He snapped at me a few times & ended up getting a whooping each time.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees & pots.

Refilled the bird feeders with sunflower seeds for the red birds & woodpeckers.

Harvested a bunch more cantaloupe this morning. Got 9 of them cleaned & sliced before putting them in the dehydrator. I hope to do another batch started tomorrow after this one is finished.

Pulled the pork shoulders out of the curing solution this morning & soaked them in fresh water (changing the water 2X). I'll truss them up & get them seasoned (honey & cracked pepper) before letting them rest uncovered in the refrigerator overnight. I plan on smoking them tomorrow morning...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fired up the smoker & got the 'Buck Board Bacon' started this morning over post oak & hickory coals.

Finished yesterday's batch of dehydrated cantaloupe & got the next batch going. I picked up another 9 of them as they are self harvesting (they fall off the vine), LOL!!! May be time to start give some away.

Got a pot of pinto beans soaking for tomorrow.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

1.3" of rain. It started around 3 a.m. and continued until 6 a.m. then opened up hard again around 10 a.m. Thunder constantly from 3 to 6 also which means the weather dog was going off.

M

Mr_Yan

Oh yeah, carrot seed I put in the ground 8 days ago is up and green. Never had carrot germinate that fast before. I don't think I'll ever have it happen again either.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus bed. trees & flowerbeds again... It's been in the high 90s here & dry as a bone.

Made the pot of pinto beans.

Finished up the last batch of dehydrated cantaloupe & vacuum packed the batch from yesterday.

Harvested 30 jalapenos, mostly for stuffing, although 5 were used in my pinto beans.

Sliced the buck board bacon & got it vacuum packed. These 2 shoulders were pretty lean. Here's the first one after slicing, along with the 'burnt ends' that I like to use in my pinto beans...

Last edited:
K

ksk

No measurable rain since June 25.Watering the garden every other day.I have turkeys eating under my bird feeders and have never had that in the summer time.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Picked about two dozen serrano pepper's this morning. This might be the best year yet for this pepper plant, they've came in early this year and in full force. Almost can't keep up with them all.