• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Did yard work for most of yesterday. Cut my yard, the neighbors yard who is out of town and the house across the street since the bank rarely sends anyone over since the owner passed away about 6 months ago. Lots of cutting, weed whacking, and edging.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
We now have 14 hummingbirds, so the bird lady asked me to put up 3 more feeders. With this increase in birds, I am now pretty certain that there is going to be an early winter.

Refilled the regular bird feeders as well... the red birds & woodpeckers are hitting the sunflower seeds pretty heavy.

Jeeze it's hot today, even Dieter doesn't want to go outside... it's 106 right now. We miss being in Panama at this time of year, sitting around the pool & sucking down beers...

I think you might be dead on about an early winter this year.It feels cooler than usual (At night) all of a sudden.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The number of hummers continues to increase so I put up 4 more feeders (2 on both porches).

Start my 'begining-of-the-month' chores.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

I...an early winter this year...
Hasn't been that hot of a summer at all. Friday's forecast high is 69 F.

I hope I still have time to get another crop of carrots. My squash look terrible for three reasons (1) so wet around here for the summer (2) not very hot (3) I failed to thin my dwarf sunflowers enough

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked 12 more watermelon... 1 for us today, 2 more for the mail lady, 5 are in my truck for the ladies at L.U.C.I.E. Project & the 4 biggest ones I put over in the guest house (they are in excess of 40 lbs each). There are still a number of them in the patch, I just hope the rain doesn't split them tonight...

K

ksk

Picked 12 more watermelon... 1 for us today, 2 more for the mail lady, 5 are in my truck for the ladies at L.U.C.I.E. Project & the 4 biggest ones I put over in the guest house (they are in excess of 40 lbs each). There are still a number of them in the patch, I just hope the rain doesn't split them tonight...
Ranch if you don't want any rain,send it toward me.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received 0.125" of rain yesterday, suppose to get more later today.

Made bread.

Installed the custom made pet barrier for my Jeep Liberty (aka the 'Dietermobil'). It fits perfect so he's ready to roll!!!

Dropped the watermelons off at the L.U.C.I.E. Project.

Went out to the melon patch & snipped all the stems... I hope to keep them from splitting due to the rain.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Started fall garden seeds:
  • 12 Flat Dutch green cabbage
  • 12 Red Acre cabbage
  • 40 beets (random mix)
  • 4 Green Magic broccoli

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The last couple of days have been spent piddling around the house doing some chores & computer maintenance. I did download the latest version of Linux (both 32 & 64-bit versions) & burning the images unto DVDs.

Today I made rolled wheat bread, upgraded the oldest computer (32-bit) to Linux Mint 18.2 & smoked a sirloin for supper.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Coming home from church yesterday,the Columbus[Texas] area had some good rain.We got nothing.Watering the yard this morning.

M

Mr_Yan

watered my carrot seed.

Need to fertilize the lawn and start more beet seeds.

M

Mr_Yan

For the last few weeks I've been working on a machine that packs pistol ammo into it's trays for packaging. I'm building this for a local ammo manufacturer.

So line up the package treys under the plastic part you milled and dump a bin of cartridges in then the milled plastic funnels each round into place? Lift up the plastic guide and slide the finished filled trey out and send that down to boxing?

M

Mr_Yan

Peaches starting to come in. Again I have that peach scab problems but not as bad this year as past years.

Cut up a few peaches and made a cobbler filling that was tossed in the freezer. I used this recipe

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
So line up the package treys under the plastic part you milled and dump a bin of cartridges in then the milled plastic funnels each round into place? Lift up the plastic guide and slide the finished filled trey out and send that down to boxing?
That's pretty much it Yan. There will be a vibratory motor that shakes the entire machine to get the ammo to jump. I've done quite a bit of testing, and it works surprisingly well. Not perfect though, I see about 3-4% of the cartridges landing upside down. This machine handles 1800 rounds per cycle. Currently, it takes the customer about 40 minutes to package that. This machine will bring it down to about 4 minutes.

M

Mr_Yan

So really the idea is not that far off of how primers are flipped over with a primer trey. Only you also have a funnel capture method too.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We received 0.25" of rain yesterday, which is better than nothing...

Took Dieter to the vet this morning.

Continuing to install stuff on the old computer after the Linux upgrade (legacy Window programs that run in 'VM VirtualBox').

M

Mr_Yan

Watered carrot seeds
Sprayed Roundup on the empty 12x4 raised bed (don't tell anyone) - killing off some fescue and several wild morning glory (bind vine) before I plant beets and carrots in there.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

I put up the rest of the hummingbird feeders (26 total) & cleaned/refilled the ones that were empty.

Cut the grass.

Harvested 3 more watermelons & gave them to a neighbor.

K

ksk

No wonder I don't have any hummers over here. lol Watered the okra and spread gravel over the caliche in the pole barn.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished all the customizations to the old computer so it's finally done. I also made a backup (clone) of the disk. I'll start the upgrade of my main computer next week.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Finished all the customizations to the old computer so it's finally done. I also made a backup (clone) of the disk. I'll start the upgrade of my main computer next week.

Both of my 2016 CNC machines run on Linux. I have no idea what Linux consists of, but out of the millions of lines of code I've thrown at them, they've never made a single hiccup.

M

Mr_Yan

Cleaned up one 12x4 bed. Sowed three 12' rows of carrots. Hacked more sunflowers out.