Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled the hummingbird feeders.

Cut & vacuum packed 27 steaks (about 14 oz. each).

Cut the grass.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Home depot and garden store run. Hope to over seed the lawn this weekend. Also bought some winter rye for use as a cover crop on my in ground bed.

Cantaloupe in the dehydrator.

K

ksk

Came back from church yesterday evening through Columbus,all gas stations were empty.

M

Mr_Yan

Our church has a partner church in Houston - we've teamed up on things a few times in the last few years. Looks like we're sending a team of workers down Sept 20 to 24. The thinking is this will be after the main surge and after many locals have to return to work but still with much work to be done. I'm toying with the idea of going too but it's hard to leave my wife back here with three little kids and no other help.

Now to watch hurricane Irma. At least two of the models have that one making landfall right at my mom's front porch.

Just placed 4 pounds of strawberries in the dehydrator.

Off to over-seed my lawn and top it with some compost.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Our church has a partner church in Houston - we've teamed up on things a few times in the last few years. Looks like we're sending a team of workers down Sept 20 to 24. The thinking is this will be after the main surge and after many locals have to return to work but still with much work to be done. I'm toying with the idea of going too but it's hard to leave my wife back here with three little kids and no other help.

Now to watch hurricane Irma. At least two of the models have that one making landfall right at my mom's front porch.

Just placed 4 pounds of strawberries in the dehydrator.

Off to over-seed my lawn and top it with some compost.

Thank you !

M

Mr_Yan

Dishwasher just started leaking. Looks like the inlet valve assembly is the cause. This appears to be an easy replacement, if we had the part. Naturally this happens on a Sunday night before a national (fake) holiday. Just ordered the part on Amazon with expected delivery Tuesday. I would have preferred to go to the local appliance repair place but that would also be on Tuesday and there's only the hope they have a Frigidaire dishwasher inlet valve in stock.

M

Mr_Yan

Irma will not be a threat... It looks like it will just spin off & die without making landfall.

You think it will just spin off? The track looks eerily like Hugo from 1989 - not that that means anything.

The models and spider web pic has it going all over the place. There is little to no convergence in the forecast.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I think Irma will turn north before reaching Florida or the US East Coast. I could always be off on where the high/low pressure systems will be & it hit Florida. We'll see over the next couple of days...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b

Brought up the last of the spring potatoes & washed them.

Prep the beef fajitas for tonight's supper, then cut up the green peppers & onions. They will be served with Spanish rice & guacamole.

Picked 4 late season cantaloupes (Mrs. Ranch cubed them up for dessert). I was very surprised that they tasted very sweet, given that they received 22" of rain last week!!! I expected them to taste 'washed out', LOL!!!

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Nothings ever easy...

First trip to Lowes - plumbing parts to add a shut off for just the dish washer. Out of Lowes at 6:30 a.m.

Finished the plumbing change - PEX is easy - and moved on to replacing the light over the back door.

Second trip to Lowes just because I needed longer 8-32 screws to mount the light fixture. Out of Lowes the second time at 9:30

Finally got the light mounted and working. The mechanical mounting part was the difficulty.

On to over seeding the lawn.

K

ksk

Powered wash chairs on porch.Stewed tomatoes and okra,corn on the cob and grilled extra thick pork chops for supper.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b

Start pruning/cleaning the backyard flower bed. The mosquitoes are voracious, I'll need to hose down with deet to finish tomorrow. God, they are absolutely terrible, even Dieter is getting eaten up!!!

Started my 'begining-of-the-month' inside chores.

Called in my liquor order & they'll call when their deliveries resume (hopefully soon as I'm overpaying buying locally).

Made a dozen blueberry/buttermilk muffins for Mrs. Ranch.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Went to Columbus and found some gas.Will start mowing around the house tomorrow.Put a coat of linseed oil on the furniture I powered washed yesterday.Ranch is right about the mosquitoes.I wish the love bugs would eat them.

M

Mr_Yan

High of 66 here.

Sun and moon were blood red last night. Sun from about 7 to sunset and moon around 8:30. Lots of smoke in the atmosphere from wildfires in the US west coast and Canada.

Replacement valve for the dishwasher came today.

No new ground squirrel kills since Thursday.

M

Mr_Yan

Repaired the dishwasher.

While I was laying on the floor working under the dishwasher my two year old decided to lay on my back. I did half the repair with a 25 pound kid on my back.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread. Then made pizza dough & sauce for tonight.

Refilled hummingbird feeders.

Watered hanging baskets & pots on the porches.

Finished my monthly chores.

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Gutted my folks home. Two of my facility got hit. They sent me an idiot( insurance adjuster) I'm flying in a guy from Florida to deal with them.
I just hate the insurance companies !

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Sorry to hear that Whaler, but what can you do, you've got to keep the $$$ coming in...

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
You are absolutely correct Ranch ! Gotta keep it flowing. I'll just let loose " The Hounds" (Attorneys) on em.They(insurance) seems to dragged their rear end if you don't have someone keeping them on track. I/WE all do our parts( Paying our premiums) they need to step up.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished cleaning the flowerbed in the backyard. Then burned all the 'trash'.

Start cleaning the garden as the potatoes need to go in between the 15th-21st.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Caught a vole in a rat trap today. Makes the body count 13 ground squirrels and 1 vole.

My mom is prepping to evacuate the South Carolina low country barrier island area tomorrow early.

K

ksk

Did the weekly shopping. Fuel is still very scarce & overpriced when you can find it.
Ranch I found gas at Buccee's in El Campo for $2.38 [unlead].Diesel was $2.49.Valero stations in Columbus was $2.54.Did our weekly shopping also.