• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

Cheapest gas I saw on my way home was $2.49. Price went up but we don't have shortages around here.

My mom spent a least a few hours in the car today getting away from the Atlantic coast in South Carolina. No word on their progress but she's terrible about answering her phone.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled the hummingbird feeders.

Made bread.

Trimmed one of the oak trees in the back yard.

Continued cleaning the garden & then burned all the 'trash'.

Made our version of Spanish rice to go with our enchiladas.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Planted out beet seedlings (soil cubes)
Plated out cabbage seedlings (soil cubes)
Harvested some kale (cleaned it up too)
Cut off heads of several sunflowers -- will hang for a week or two then remove seeds

Took the 2 year old and dog for a walk - 2.5 to 3 miles and the kid slept in the stroller for most of it

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b

Cleaned/refilled the wasp traps.

Cut the grass.

K

ksk

Too my surprise,I was able to mow my front pasture after 27 inches of rain two weeks ago.Taco soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for supper.

M

Mr_Yan

About 2/3 of the cabbage seedlings I planted out last Saturday have been eaten. My gut reaction says it has to be a rabbit.

Got another ground squirrel - body count 14 ground squirrels, 1 vole.

Looks like high tide and storm surge combined and flooded much of my mom's town. She just posted a vid of a neighbor driving a boat through a residential street. Picks of the waterfront park about waist deep in places where we were walking. During a king tide waves may break onto the sidewalk along the breakwall.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Refilled humming bird feeders. They've consumed a lot of sugar this fall (I just opened the 4th 25lb bag).

Received our Texas flag order, so I replaced the one at the entry as it was ripped up from 'Harvey'.

Trimmed another oak tree.

Continued cleaning the garden & then burned all the 'trash'.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Got the truck inspected,oil change and tires rotated.I also need to trim trees,as I found that out while mowing.Added it to my Fall/Winter to do list.Tacos for supper.

M

Mr_Yan

Watered my beet seedlings. Lost the rest of the cabbage seedlings in the ground to a rabbit.

I think I got a rabbit in my snap rat trap in the garden then a dog got the rabbit. It was a mess (put it this way the dog didn't eat the spine, back leg, or head) but after they ate 40+ cabbage seedlings it feels good.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled humming bird feeders.

Continued cleaning the garden, burning the 'trash' as I went.

Prepped/seasoned a pork butt for 'Bayrischer Schweinebraten' (Bavarian Pork Roast) for tomorrow's supper.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Relocated another ground squirrel. Well it was relocated from sleeping in the trap to tossed into the tall grass field near the garden beds.

Body Count:
15 13-lined Ground Squirrels
1 Vole
1 Rabbit

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b

Roasted the 'Bayrischer Schweinebraten' for supper (after browning it on the gas grill). I added the vegetables (onions, kohlrabi, butternut squash, celery, carrots & potatoes) at the 3 1/2 hr mark. We'll be eating off of this for days, LOL!!! Mrs. Ranch is making the dumplings.

The damn 'love bugs' are back with a vengeance... For those that have never experienced these utterly worthless things, count your 'blessings', these things are a public nuisance!!! God, I hate these things!!!

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Pulled the first ear of popcorn as a test. Kernels look developed but needs much drying still. The ear is currently hanging in the basement.

M

Mr_Yan

If we could just hook electrodes to a 5 year old boy we would solve all energy generation problems and electric cars would have infinite range. I swear my son has enough energy to power a small city.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
K

ksk

If we could just hook electrodes to a 5 year old boy we would solve all energy generation problems and electric cars would have infinite range. I swear my son has enough energy to power a small city.
So true! Wait when you're grandfather of two, five year olds.I feel like I have been on the tractor all day when they go home.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping at daybreak to beat the bugs...

Made rolled wheat bread.

Watered the hanging baskets & the pots on the porches.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Did the weekly shopping at daybreak to beat the bugs...

Made rolled wheat bread.
You're right Ranch.The bugs seem to get worse as the day go on.The wind kicks them up.I was mowing yesterday and ended up putting a bandanna over mouth to keep from inhaling them.The goat weed is full of them.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Bought 3 new feeders for the redbirds & re-rigged them for use on our feeder station (the skinny lil' steel cable that they come with are useless here).

Pruned another oak tree (I use the branches to get my fire going).

Continued cleaning the garden & burning the 'trash'.

Received the last of the direct sown seeds for the fall garden.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

• Planted a row of beets where the cabbage were that a rabbit ate - we'll see if rabbits like beets.
  • Sowed some winter rye and diakon radish as a cover crop trial.
  • Harvested four 25' rows of black beans. Plan on spending some of the evening with a beer removing the pods from the plants and maybe shelling the beans.
  • Caught a chipmunk in a mouse trap. The trap just snapped on it's leg so I had to deal with that.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled the hummingbird feeders as they were all bone dry this morning.

Picked 3 more late season cantaloupe.

Hose down the back porch as the love bug bodies were getting thick.

Last edited:
K

ksk

First day of Fall is Friday! Bring it on.My ''weather bug'' is showing 78 degrees at 8:30 am and 95 % humidity.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Raining here today, so I won't be working on the garden prep...

Made 2 loaves of bread this morning, one Italian & the other sourdough rye.

Fabricated 26 staggered-length hooks that will be used to store the hummingbird feeders in the closet when the season is done.

Last edited: