• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Primed the steel window lintels with oil-based primer. I hope to get one finish coat on them before the replacement windows get installed.

Made stuffed jalapenos & soybean succotash to go with our grilled strip steak dinner.

Watered the 5 areas where I planted the Lirope yesterday & the remaining flats that are still in the greenhouse.

M

Mr_Yan

Dog walk.
Pot of soup on the stove.
Loaf of bread (soon to add skillet of cornbread) in the oven.
New sleeping bag (with corner tie downs that I had to sew on) put in the youngest kid's bed.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I raked all the leaves in the front yard yesterday evening. Got up this morning and the yard looked like I didn't do a thing to it, leaves everywhere again. :)

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
M

Mr_Yan

Dawn as I was driving to work - at mu desk about 7 a.m. Sun setting as I drove home from work - got to my car at 4:30. I hate the shift from day light saving time.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We went to town to get our haircuts.

Cut the grass ahead of the cold front... it suppose to hit a high of 54 tomorrow...

Watered all the trees, flowerbeds, garden & asparagus bed.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
K

ksk

Finished trimming trees in the pasture.When I started a week and half ago,it was cool.This past week it feels like summer again.Cool weather tomorrow as Ranch stated above.Plan on doing some mowing in the cooler weather.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town to pickup the paint for the lintels. Also got the onion sets...

Since it's kind of cold here, Mrs. Ranch decided to giving me a break on cooking supper (she made a big pot of chili). I contributed some by making jalapeno/cheese cornbread.

Cornbread_110817.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the 5 areas where I planted the Lirope & the remaining flats that are still in the greenhouse. Also did the garden & asparagus bed.

Made bread.

Did the weekly shopping.

Armadillos have been digging in the yard... I've seen 2 armadillos (Dieter went after the big one, but it got away from him), so I set leg traps at the 2 points were I believe they enter. Hopefully I'll get them quickly. And 'no', Dieter doesn't go near that area...

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Left for work at dawn. 12 F out but 4 F with wind chill. Chicago O'hare Airport set a daily record for cold.

Kid 1 just getting over being sick - stayed home yesterday with them.
Kid 2 just starting to get sick(er) - hope these symptoms present different.
Kid 3 so far oblivious to the illness around them
Wife and I moderately sick, or just worn down.

M

Mr_Yan

Sent my wife to get a cutting board and groceries. 2.5 hours and 200+ dollars later she came home with a cutting board and new car battery. Then I had to go out and get $40 worth of groceries.

• Up Vote
K

ksk

First Robins of the year showed up this morning.The cold weather up North pushing them down early this year?

M

Mr_Yan

First snow of the season.

Stayed home from work. My throat feels like someone took a wire brush to it.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I still don't feel good, although better than a couple of days ago. Today I caulked the lintels above all the doors & painted the first finish coat on all the window lintels. We are almost ready for the new replacement windows.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the the garden, asparagus bed, the 5 areas where I planted the Lirope & the remaining flats that are still in the greenhouse.

Made bread.

Made a pot of pinto beans.

Applied the first finish coat of paint on all the door lintels.

Sprayed the fire ants in the yard, especially around the trees so I can continue planting the Lirope.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mr. Ranch, glad you are feeling better.

Thanks Whistech. I not a good 'sick person'... I only wished I knew how to avoid these bugs, but at least this time was not as long in duration as the last one.

Today I continued planting the Lirope around the trees in the front yard (2 of 4). Then I fertilized the trees, pots, garden & asparagus bed, then watered it all in.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Well this cold is making it's rounds through my house. I have officially moved from the cold to bronchitis (fancy word for "your lungs are irritated but we don't really know why").

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered all the hanging baskets (since I have to take them down due to a 'Norther' blowing in at noon time) & porch pots.

As the wind has picked up, I hand watered the 7 areas where the Lirope has already been planted. Also watered the stuff in the greenhouse.

Cleaned & refilled the water tanks for the birds & threw in 'mosquito dunks'.

Cleaned & refilled the wasp traps.

Made a batch of stuffed (cream cheese) jalapenos to accompany our supper.

Made a batch of oatmeal/raisin bars for dessert.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote