• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

K

ksk

Watered the onions[saw they same report Ranch].Want to trim some trees in the back of the property.[I'll hack off the deer hunters].Ranch,glad your feeling better.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Spent the last couple days messing with the septic system. Anyone who has an aerobic septic system probably hates it. One of the problems is the irrigation pump. These systems use a submersible irrigation pump that sends water to the spray heads in the yard. It's inevitable that the inlet screen on the pump gets clogged and burns up an otherwise good pump. So, I came up with this plan to use an above ground, centrifugal pump. My septic guy said it probably wouldn't work. I ran all the numbers and it looked good on paper. Finally was able to test yesterday and......success! This pump puts out about twice as much vs the submersible, is cheaper than the submersible and is re-buildable. The only drawback is that it takes about 1 minute to self-prime, but I don't care. Now I just need to build a wooden box to cover it for freeze protection. Hopefully this setup will last me a good 15 years.

pump.JPG

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It was rather brisk here this morning (45 degrees) so I made a pot of pinto beans.

Disposed of a big possum & reset the traps.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
M

Mr_Yan

Both older kids decided to wear shorts and tee shirts to church today. This was even after we made them stand on the back steps for a minute or too to see if they decided to change when they realized how cold it was. Neither was happy walking from the car to the building. It was 28 F. Neither mommy nor daddy had sympathy for them being cold.

• Up Vote
K

ksk

Wife and I did our Thanksgiving shopping this morning hoping to beat the crowds today and later in the week.Got out of the store before the church crowd showed up.Bought a ham for Christmas and got a 11 lb. turkey free.Plan on smoking a brisket Tuesday and will cut up pecan tomorrow.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Weed the garden.

Harvested 3 kohlrabi & a 1/2 bucket of 'new potatoes'.

Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked up my 2018 insecticide order at the feed store this morning.

Planted a 2nd wave of cilantro, green bunching onions, as well as green & red lettuce.

Watered all the trees & Lirope areas.

Mrs. Ranch harvested some more radishes for our dinner salads.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Pulled the brisket points out of the curing brine (they are now corned beef) & started soaking them in fresh water. Later I will season them up for smoking & then they will pastrami.

Made bread.

Made another batch of stuffed jalapenos.

Mrs Ranch is making a pumpkin pie.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden asparagus bed & all the Lirope areas.

Smoked the 2 corned brisket points to turn them into pastrami.

Prepped the beef fajita meat for tonight's supper... we aren't fans of turkey & dressing.

Ordered Dieter's Christmas presents per Mrs. Ranch's request.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made another pot of pinto beans.

Made more Spanish rice to go with the beans & leftover fajitas.

Sliced/vacuum packed the pastrami that I smoked yesterday.

Last edited:
K

ksk

The wife has some beef short ribs in the crockpot along with some duck drippings from yesterday and a Shiner Bock beer. What do y'all think about that?

Edit... And lamb shank too, lol! Vegan nightmare!
I had left overs today and am stuffed,but that sounds good.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus, all the Lirope areas & flowerbeds.

Planted the Lirope around the last 2 trees in the front yard.

M

Mr_Yan

Just wrapped up a trip to western Michigan and back. About 750 miles with three little kids in the van.

• Up Vote

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the Lirope areas & the stuff in the greenhouse.

Finished shredding the front pasture.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Took Mrs. Ranch's Jeep in for it's yearly inspection & routine maintenance, then went to pickup her new license sticker. Afterwards I did the weekly shopping & did some other errands.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus, all the Lirope areas & flowerbeds. Also watered the hanging baskets & pots.

Made bread.

Made a batch of stuffed jalapenos.

Clean & put up the last 2 hummingbird feeders... the stragglers have finally departed for warmer climates.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Watered the garden and fruit trees.I have had .1 rain in the month of November.Putting hog panels around a deer feeder.I no longer hunt but enjoy watching the deer come to the feeder.Hogs are eating all the corn before the deer can,

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Seasoned up 2 pot roasts for tonight's supper. After browning them on the grill, they went into a roaster pan along with some red wine & beef broth. Later I'll toss in the veggies (carrots, celery, potatoes, kohlrabi, butternut squash & onions.

Harvested 3 kohlrabi.

Start the 'beginning of the month' chores.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus, all the trees/Lirope areas, flowerbeds & stuff in the greenhouse.

Shredded 2/3 of the middle pasture.

Started a review of our investments.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote