• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I'm building this custom branding iron for a customer. It's going to be pretty fancy. I wonder if there would be a market for these?? Maybe Sam knows.

JRW Brand 1 RevB.png JRW Brand 3 RevB.png

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Oh hell yeah, branding irons are a huge market. Post your business cards in every rural vet office that works cattle. Also network or get a table at the Houston, San Antonio & Fort Worth rodeos (bring samples because people WILL want do see them). This is how I started out selling our bulls & semen (after 3 yrs, I had enough sustainable business).

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a loaf of Italian bread. Also made the dough for old school sourdough rye bread, which I will put in the refrigerator for an additional day to allow it to ferment more. I love a sandwich of pastrami with Swiss cheese on homemade rye bread!!!

Put out 3 rolls of hay for the cattle as it is suppose to be much cooler & rain for the next 5 days. I don't want to get sick again...

Replaced the ignition system on the Weber 330 grill again. I gave it a good cleaning while I was at it (so that is one springtime chore off my list).

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

I'm building this custom branding iron for a customer. It's going to be pretty fancy. I wonder if there would be a market for these?? Maybe Sam knows.

View attachment 2845 View attachment 2846
There's another market for these with steak eaters. I've seen small branding irons in several cooking catalogs to brand steaks, roasts, and the like.

There's another market with frats and cults. Some of them brand their pledges. Probably not a market you want to target though.

M

Mr_Yan

Early trip to the grocery store to re-stock the pantry. $310 in non-perishable groceries.

Replaced the batteries in the smoke alarms.

K

ksk

Finally got a load of gravel yesterday afternoon. Finished spreading it on my drive in front of the house.Cut mustard greens and lettuce for the mail lady.Stay well Ranch.We really need the rain.Our area went on Burn Ban Thursday.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Clean my work boots in preparation for 'winterizing' them (leather conditioner, waterproofing & then beeswax).

Ordered 2 sets of Gator G5 blades for the garden tractor.

Baked the Sourdough Rye bread that I made the dough for yesterday.

Watered the stuff in the greenhouse.

Made an old-fashion buttermilk pie for dessert.

Buttermilk_Pie.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Warm sunny day here - almost hit 60 F
  • Did three exercises in "Learn Python 3 the Hard Way"
  • Cleaned the gutters
  • Shredded fall leafs
  • Worked on cleaning the house (a little)
  • Baked bread and corn bread
  • Made a pot of soup
  • Got a flu shot

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finally got some rain last night (0.26").

Today I thoroughly cleaned the garage & the green house. Then put the heater & the oscillating fan in the greenhouse, ops check good.

Made beef/barley/vegetable soup out of the remaining pot roast. Added carrots, corn, soybeans, green beans, kohlrabi, onions, tomatoes & some Bok Choy. We will eat off this big pot for a week of chilly weather, LOL!!!

Last edited:
K

ksk

Finally got some rain last night (0.26").

Today I thoroughly cleaned the garage & the green house. Then put the heater & the oscillating fan in the greenhouse, ops check good.

Made beef/barley/vegetable soup out of the remaining pot roast. Added carrots, corn, soybeans, green beans, kohlrabi, onions, tomatoes & some Bok Choy. We will eat off this big pot for a week of chilly weather, LOL!!!
Ranch I got whole .1 last night.Better than nothing.

M

Mr_Yan

Played around with the kids-code Google doodle with my kids. Programming a bunny to hop around and get carrots. Drag and drop blocks - froward, turn right, turn left, and for-loops.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Crazy weather, LOL!!! At 0600 it was 70 degrees, an hour later the norther blew through & it was 59 degrees (we got another 0.19" of rain). The next couple of days the highs are forecast to be in the low-mid 40s & windy.

Went to the store for limes & ice, regardless of the weather I still have to have my afternoon margaritas...

Finish 'winterizing' my work boots.

Work on my cook book.

Made Buttermilk Biscuits to go along with our soup supper. We love comfort food on chilly days like this!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Raining (0.62") & 43 degrees today. Needless to say, Dieter is not happy due to his lack of outside playtime & when he's not happy, neither are the rest of us.

Made a batch of stuffed jalapenos.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
K

ksk

Rainy day plan [inside] put into play.Canned 16 jars of blueberry jam and 16 jars of strawberry jam.All will go for Christmas gifts.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
A chilly 42 degrees & rainy still here (1.09" thus far). This has been a nice gentle penetrating rain, no runoff which is good for the pastures.

Made bread.

Installed the insulated window covers on the greenhouse & moved the plants from the porches into it. Forecast says the next 2 nights are close to freezing so the heater & fan will be turned on at night. Hell, it's currently snowing just NW of San Antonio!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I'm glad I got everything in the greenhouse yesterday... When I took Dieter out before going to bed, we were kind of surprised to see snow flurries. This morning we were even more surprised when we saw an accumulation of 2". Dieter had that 'What the heck is this???' expression on his face, unfortunately I was unable to capture a picture of it. The last time it snowed here was 12/24/04...

Snow_1_120817.jpg

Snow_2_120817.jpg

Dieter_Snow_1_120817.jpg

Dieter_Snow_2_120817.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping after the roads dried. Also picked up some salt blocks & 4 tubs of molasses (900 lbs) for the cattle.

Made more buttermilk biscuits.

K

ksk

Did not get to stick around long to enjoy the snow as we had eye doctor appointments in Sugarland.No problems with the roads getting there.I do have a question,before I left [8am] I checked my garden and of course,everything was covered with snow.I checked this afternoon and my lettuce,mustards,etc.look ok.My concern are my onions.Anyone have experience with onions being covered with snow?

M

Mr_Yan

Currently 32 F. Foercast calling for a low of 22 and about 1.5" of snow overnight. Tomorrow's high forecasted at 26 F.

I still have leafs that need to be cleaned up.

M

Mr_Yan

Working on setting up the Christmas tree and the stand broke. I get to rebuild or fix this one - hope to not buy a new one. Oh yeah the star for the top of the tree broke this year too.

My wife said the hot water wasn't as hot as normal. It's been years since I have done the preventative sediment (partial) draining of the water heater tank. Now the drain valve is clogged. I'm going to try back flushing it with my air compressor.

Need to clean the basement this weekend too.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Put out 3 more rolls of hay. Also out out salt blocks & the molasses tubs for the cattle.

Brought the Gator over to the house so I can look into why it's overheating (it's not the coolant).

Last edited: