• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Did not get to stick around long to enjoy the snow as we had eye doctor appointments in Sugarland.No problems with the roads getting there.I do have a question,before I left [8am] I checked my garden and of course,everything was covered with snow.I checked this afternoon and my lettuce,mustards,etc.look ok.My concern are my onions.Anyone have experience with onions being covered with snow?

Worst case, the onions will get stunted a bit. I've had them covered in ice before which is probably worse than snow.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled the bird feeders & put up another suet block.

The new windows have arrived & the installation is scheduled for next Monday.

Troubleshot the Gator's overheating problem. It looks like the water pump is bad as I ran it until the overheat light came on & both the inlet/outlet hoses were cool. This will be another expensive repair as the part alone is $479. Oh well, I have to have it ASAP...

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town to pickup ranch fuel. Then brought the trailer over to the house so I can load up the Gator tomorrow morning.

Checked the traps - another skunk, one tripped but no animal & one that got carried off in spite of it being staked down (GRRR). I'm going to order 4 more.

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

3" of snow at home yesterday but just rain at work (15 miles north of home).

15 F when I left for work this morning.

I have not worn my sun glasses since Thanksgiving weekend. 9 days to the winter solstice.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Took down the deer feeding station closest to the house as the 'neighbor' thinks he is entitled to hunt off of it. Maybe it's time to start stacking hog bodies/gut piles on the fence line just upwind of his 'camp'... Some people got to learn the hard way.

Filled up the tractor with fuel as tomorrow I need to move hay rolls into the hay barn.

Watered the all the trees, garden, asparagus bed & the stuff in the greenhouse.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Took down the deer feeding station closest to the house as the 'neighbor' thinks he is entitled to hunt off of it. Maybe it's time to start stacking hog bodies/gut piles on the fence line just upwind of his 'camp'... Some people got to learn the hard way.

Filled up the tractor with fuel as tomorrow I need to move hay rolls into the hay barn.

Watered the all the trees, garden, asparagus bed & the stuff in the greenhouse.
I understand your problem Ranch with the hunter.First,I was a big,big deer hunter back in the day.I am not anti hunters but some guys just don't get it.The young man that was bow hunting a mutual fence fence line and told me I was disturbing his hunt as I was mowing,is now throwing corn on my side of the fence.A friend was hunting the other day and later checked my fence line after hearing a 4 wheeler on the other side.Corn was thrown on both sides of the fence for 50 yards.I cut my feeder off.I like the ideal of stacking hog guts. lol

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I had to quit deer hunting about 8 years ago due to the same kind of mess you guys are dealing with. Grown men lose their minds over wild animals. I had been on a few different leases, and it was the same BS. It got to the point where it just wasn't fun anymore. And I got tired of listening to morons who thought they were going to 'game manage' 150 acres that was adjacent to many properties much smaller than that.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Moved hay rolls from the pastures into the hay barn. Also brought 26 rolls over to the barn by the home site for convenience during the cold weather (these will be used first).

Did the weekly shopping as I was out of limes.

The repairs to the Gator are complete so I will go pick it up tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread. Also did pizza dough & the sauce for tonight's supper.

Picked up the Gator from the JD dealer.

Been raining very gently but steady since noon (1.29"). Chilly here too... only in the low 50s.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Take down all the drapes & shades in preparation for the new window installations tomorrow.

Made a batch of stuffed jalapenos for tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
K

ksk

Same here.
I did 90% of my online but the wife insist on going shopping.I try to go during the week,as early as possible,it seems to help.My regular mail lady was on vacation this past week and we had a sub.The sub twice threw packages across my gate as it was locked.Nothing was broken but I don't understand why one doesn't just slide them under the gate or leave them inside my cedar fence.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The new windows are in (YEA!!!). They finished in the nick of time, as it started raining as they were packing up.

Made a pot of pinto beans... meager supper tonight.

Went to let Dieter out before going to bed & saw a cotton mouth 4' from the porch door, so I dispatched him with the shotgun. I thought that they'd all be hibernating for the winter (I guess I thought wrong)...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Rainy (1.13" thus far) & 72 degrees here...

Hosed the back porch off as there was 'snake meat' all over from last night.

Mrs. Ranch & I went to town this morning to get our haircuts.

Cleaned the windows (on the insides) & rehung the drapes/shades.

K

ksk

Last night around 11,I heard two shots on the road in front of our place.I could hear voices and later a ATV crank up and go down the road.This morning after opening the gate I drove down the road to investigate.I found two sets of footprints and ATV tracks leading into my southern neighbors place.These are the folks that hunt our mutual fence line and throw corn across the fence.Thinking about it,college finals are over and students are out for Christmas.I think it is the owner's son doing the hunting on the fence line and now at night.