• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
It's a good day for growing onions and that's about it. Brought wood up to the house for the wood stove.

K

ksk

Talk about cabin fever Ranch ! We had the oldest daughter and family from Memphis here since Saturday night.Two grandkids [4 and 2].Could not take them around on the tractor because of the nasty weather.They left around 3 to go back to Houston.It sure is quiet around here and I already miss them.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Have you south Texas folks seen the weather that's coming Sunday, Monday & Tuesday??? It looks to be pretty nasty... mid to lower 30s for the highs, lows in the mid 20s & 17-20 MPH north winds!!! Looks like I'll need to put out extra hay, put the covers on the hose bibs, drain the irrigation system & turn the heat lamp on in the well house (just to name a few items). I hate winter.

Made bread.

Started perusing the 2018 seed catalogs.

Continued modifying the leg-hold traps.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Have you south Texas folks seen the weather that's coming Sunday, Monday & Tuesday??? It looks to be pretty nasty... mid to lower 30s for the highs, lows in the mid 20s & 17-20 MPH north winds!!! Looks like I'll need to put out extra hay, put the covers on the hose bibs, drain the irrigation system & turn the heat lamp on in the well house (just to name a few items). I hate winter.

Received three seed catalogs in the mail yesterday: Burpee,Gurney's, and Territorial.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Well, here's what the boy and I did this morning. With a splitting maul and hammer lol. I really need to invest in a log splitter but having a hard time justifying it considering the amount of wood we use each year. I hate the thought of another small engine sitting around.

DSC_0621a.jpg DSC_0619a.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

I finished modifying the leg-hold traps... the chains have been replaced & the file work is complete so later I'll treat them with the acid & let them dry before proceeding.

K

ksk

Did the weekly shopping.

I finished modifying the leg-hold traps... the chains have been replaced & the file work is complete so later I'll treat them with the acid & let them dry before proceeding.
How do you all like the new windows?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
So far, so good. We like being able to see out the windows gain. It's also nice that we can wash the outsides (including the tops) from inside the house. The windows themselves are first rate & the installation crew knew what they were doing, so that was a big plus.

M

Mr_Yan

Almost 2 inches of new snow since dawn. This brings us to almost 4 inches on the ground. 15 F, overcast, no wind and the snow is falling vertically. Just finished shoveling.

Built 90% of a small bookcase -- three 22" wide shelves -- for next to the couch.

Turkey in the oven for dinner with the in-laws.

Got my first seed catalog of the season (Johnny's).

M

Mr_Yan

I really need to invest in a log splitter but having a hard time justifying it considering the amount of wood we use each year. I hate the thought of another small engine sitting around.

Most people I know around here just rent one for a day or weekend. Even those that heat with wood (northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin). Own the chain saw to harvest and buck to length, then rent the splitter once a season.

If you do spring for one, even renting, make sure it is the type that spilts the round when vertical. The cheaper ones only work horizontally so you have to lift the round onto it each time. That sucks.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Most people I know around here just rent one for a day or weekend. Even those that heat with wood (northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin). Own the chain saw to harvest and buck to length, then rent the splitter once a season.

If you do spring for one, even renting, make sure it is the type that spilts the round when vertical. The cheaper ones only work horizontally so you have to lift the round onto it each time. That sucks.

I've rented before, but it's kind of a PITA for me because I have to drive far to get it. I'm thinking about making a mini setup for my tractor. The tractor has remote hydraulics, plenty of power, but the GPM is low so it would be quite a bit slower than a commercial unit. Maybe that wouldn't be a big deal considering the amount of wood I split.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b

Made bread.

Continued modifying the leg-hold traps.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the advance notice Ranch !
Had the propane guys come out to fill the tanks. Chop some woods to get a little exercise in.Trying to stay out of the house( Kids are sick)
Ran the Kubota around the property to mulch all these leaves. Gotta pot of chilli cooking.

M

Mr_Yan

@w_r_ranch's post got me to look at the local forecast. The snow we've been getting is cold, dry, and fluffy. Now the forecast is calling for a lot of wind - wind chill advisories through late Sunday chills of -15 to -25 F. With this dry fluffy snow and that wind there will be blizzard conditions south of here in the corn fields. I-39 will be a mess because of it.

Just another reason not to leave the house this week.

K

ksk

I love the cold but not snow,ice etc. that sometimes goes with it.I spent 13 months in Antarctica [US Navy] where the highest temp was a +20 and during the winter the wind chill got to a -179. Needless to say.there were not a lot of outdoor activities. Will wrap outside pipes and take down Christmas decorations on the gate later today.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Put out hay for the cattle.

Watered the garden, all the trees (both with the Lirope & without), the flowerbeds & everything in the greenhouse.

Drained the irrigation system ahead of the freezing weather & put the insulated covers on all the hose bibs after draining the hoses.

Checked the heat lamp in the well house (I'll turn it on tomorrow).

Sprayed the leg-hold traps flat black.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Roasted a turkey for dinner yesterday. As my father in-law was carving it the juices were running off the cutting board, dripping off the counter, and right on to the back of my dog. I just gave the dog a bath.