• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

K

ksk

The hummingbirds were spot on as far as the TX winter goes. I trust them over any weatherman. Another round of cold weather headed our way, burning more firewood than I want. I'm about to replenish my wood pile though. I've been doing a little side work for a real nice lady out in the country, and she gives me farm eggs every time I visit. She's going to have duck eggs in the spring. I'm not sure if any of you pastry chefs know what duck eggs are good for (Sam excluded, haha), but they make some of the best recipes you can imagine!

View attachment 2896
My oldest daughter prefers duck eggs over chicken.I can't believe what she pays for a dozen.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Well, that philodendron that survived the last freeze is officially toast, lol! That's ok, I'll cut it back...it grows like a weed. Onions are about to get thumped a little bit, getting covered in ice and more on the way. I guess I'm laying low today, I'll crank up the shop heater and work on a quote I owe a customer.

K

ksk

28 and light sleet.Have the fire place going strong.I have not checked out the garden but will try later.Plan on making vegetable/ground beef soup for supper/lunch.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's brutal out there!!! It's 25 degrees here (and still falling), windchill is 14 degrees... Everything is coated in ice, even the grass is slippery. Dieter tried running this morning & wiped out on a turn. He then went down again on the edge of the porch...

I had harvested some stuff yesterday... Mrs. Ranch was planning to make cole slaw this morning & needed a carrot... I had to get a shovel because the top 3" of soil is frozen solid!!! I ended up filling 5 gallon buckets with the remaining cauliflower & broccoli (which are also frozen solid) so I'm processing them right now... It looks like we're eating vegetarian for the next several days. I hope the 45' of carrots make it & the onions too.

K

ksk

It's brutal out there!!! It's 25 degrees here (and still falling), windchill is 14 degrees... Everything is coated in ice, even the grass is slippery. Dieter tried running this morning & wiped out on a turn. He then went down again on the edge of the porch...

I had harvested some stuff yesterday... Mrs. Ranch was planning to make cole slaw this morning & needed a carrot... I had to get a shovel because the top 3" of soil is frozen solid!!! I ended up filling 5 gallon buckets with the remaining cauliflower & broccoli (which are also frozen solid) so I'm processing them right now... It looks like we're eating vegetarian for the next several days. I hope the 45' of carrots make it & the onions too.
Same here Ranch [I'm about 10 miles East of Ranch].I was telling the wife that if the onions survived I would be surprised. They survived the snow in December and the freezing weather since but if the ice stays around for the next day,I have serious doubts.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Well......Houston's road is bad. I'am fixin' to take out "Big Bertha" and see what she made for. 14 months build and she's back in Texas! Might as well have a little fun. LOL!!
2003 / 7.3 4x4 by U Joint Off road .
6" 4x4 leaf conversion, Stage2 front axle with 4.10 gears and the RSC upgrade, rear axle is a Sterling 10.5 with an ARB, NV271, Swamps Diesel built 7.3 with 435hp. Ujoint OBA system, sPOD wiring system, fully powder coated frame and axles, Fox 2.0 res shocks with duals up front, UJ rear skid system with a Deka 8A4D house battery, BTS transmission.

26913674_1678262585564582_1087014804_n.jpg

K

ksk

Forecast is now down to 18 tonight with the windchill in the single digits... it's been 25 degrees since I got up. BRRRRR!!!!
Everything frozen here.Walked to the gate and lock is frozen on it.Garden is the same.I would be surprised if mustard greens,cauliflower, spinach, cabbage and broccoli survives. I have my fingers crossed for my onions.

K

ksk

Got to 18 here this morning with a strong North wind.Harvested the remainder of cauliflower and broccoli.Refilled bird feeders.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Currently 28 degrees, with a windchill of 19. The low last night was 18. BRRRR!!!

Went to town & bought a new lock set for the house door leading to the garage as the original one was acting up & I was unable to fix it. I installed it upon getting home.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Had to run out to Sugarland's office this morning. Pipes were frozen. No water...water leaks...Rest rooms were a mess.
Got stuck on 59 Freeway watching folks "Ice-Skate" on the freeway. Had to use my winch to pull out a kid that went into the ditch.
It's 32 degrees in Cypress,Texas right now. Party is over...Kids are heading back to school in the morning.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Still cold here (32 degrees & a windchill of 26). The low last night was a balmy 30 degrees.

The ice maker died again (installed on Sept 1, 2017), so I ordered another. The bad one will be sent back under warranty so I'll have a 'spare'...

Made bread.

Also made a Kieffer Pear/Oatmeal Crisp for dessert tonight.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping. While I was out, I picked up 15 bags of shredded pine bark mulch so I can get the asparagus bed done before they start popping up.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
K

ksk

Bought lumber yesterday for new planter boxes.Dodged rain showers as I'm doing my cutting outside the garage [no room].I gave up at 1:30 [13:30 Ranch's time.lol].