• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

LONG week at work... Doing my design work, managing a novice doing documentation on my designs, and managing idiot assemblers building my designs. Spent about half my time managing the assemblers - keeping them moving and showing them basic things / processes - when it isn't even my role according to my supervisor or the assemblers supervisor, but it is expected of me. 61 hours logged on my time sheet in 5 days(exempt salaried - not OT) , task not done, can't / won't go in on the weekend.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I have mexican jumping beans in the house. Well sort of, lol. Those Pride of Barbados pods I harvested about 3 weeks ago are in a jar on a shelf in the kitchen. Over the past few days, the pods have been snapping open with explosive force, the wife has been picking seeds up off the floor. I can put the pistol away at 3:00 am now.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Warm (68 degrees) & drizzly here at the ranch this morning...

Made bread.

Continue pruning the Crape Myrtles (during breaks in the showers) & burning the 'trash' as I went.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Today, the boy and I will begin building his pinewood racer for Boy Scouts. I'll probably catch some chit for it from other parents, but we've designed his car on my CAD software, and I'm warming up the CNC mill right now and we'll cut it there after lunch. I don't have time for much else right now anyway.

pinebox2_2018-Jan-05_09-23-43PM-000_CustomizedView24338124375_png.png pinebox2_2018-Jan-05_09-26-11PM-000_CustomizedView7189176256_png.png

M

Mr_Yan

Today, the boy and I will begin building his pinewood racer for Boy Scouts. I'll probably catch some chit for it from other parents, but we've designed his car on my CAD software, and I'm warming up the CNC...

Did you account for the offset for the axle holes? I don't see that in the model.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Yan, we are going to drill the axle holes before we machine the body. Going to stretch the wheelbase as much as possible as there's nothing in the rules that says you can't. Also the rear wheels will have about 3 deg of negative camber and fronts 3 deg positive. This limits the surface contact between track and wheels.

M

Mr_Yan

Yan, we are going to drill the axle holes before we machine the body. Going to stretch the wheelbase as much as possible as there's nothing in the rules that says you can't. Also the rear wheels will have about 3 deg of negative camber and fronts 3 deg positive. This limits the surface contact between track and wheels.

I like it... But this is why some packs have a dad's league and a son's league. I'm the guy that will be building a pinewood car next to my son but will make him do all the parts of his on his own.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I like it... But this is why some packs have a dad's league and a son's league. I'm the guy that will be building a pinewood car next to my son but will make him do all the parts of his on his own.

Like I said in original post....I'll probably catch some chit. No matter, the kid gets some CNC experience. He has already learned X,Y,Z axis on the mill this morning.|

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
@wolffman that car looks slick man. Can't wait to see the finished result.

Been a lazy weekend for me. Taking care of the kids while the wife recovers from a cold. I did manage to get the garage door weather strip seal replaced so there's something.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished pruning the Crape Myrtles, then I burned the remaining 'trash' upon completion.

Finished my friend's computer - Linux is installed & all his files have been transferred. I'm in the process of cloning his main drive to his backup drive, so he should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Seasoned up a thick sirloin steak that I'll put on the smoker for supper. Mrs. Ranch made her delicous broccoli salad to go along with it. Also a backed potato that we'll split (it's huge).

Refilled the bird feeders.

Put out 3 rolls of hay for the cattle.

Got a pot of pinto beans seasoned up & soaking for tomorrow.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made the pot of pinto beans.

Went & paid the quarterly taxes, picked up 675 lbs of molasses for the cattle & got ranch fuel.

Picked up the seed potatoes & got them in the chitting box. They'll be planted next month.

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested about 20% of the carrots this morning. Then I got them prepped & started dehydrating.

New septic system guy came out & troubleshot the problem to a defective timer. Unfortunately he did not have one on the truck, so he'll be back Tuesday.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 64 degrees & drizzling raining here, which of puts most of my outdoor activities on hold...

I was able to harvest more carrots & get them prepped for dehydrating, so today wasn't a total waste...

Carrots_012718.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Another 62 hour work week - then I just finished 3 or 4 hours at home today. I was told by a supervisor I was too hard on one of the snowflake / idiot builders. Apparently it's wrong to be a little short with someone sitting there looking out the window when I am running at 90 mph and pulling 14 to 16 hour days. And I'm the millenial in this equation - the snowflake has to be 10 years older than I am.

My little basement hydroponic experiment is coming along nicely.

Had to replace another tire on the mini-van - $130 out of the car repair budget.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
The "Atmosphere Speeder" took 2nd place at the race yesterday. It was a close race, but the best car won. Also, I didn't feel bad at all about helping Luke as much as I did. I spied several cars there with illegal wheels/axles. The funny part was, first and second place both had wheels/axles provided in the kit supplied. Luke's car is in the outside lane in the GIF below.

DSC_0704a.jpg
20180127_104750_1.gif

M

Mr_Yan

@w_r_ranch Could you post a thread on how you prep for dehydrating then later use the dehydrated carrots? I bought a dehydrator but have only used it for fruit we eat dried.