• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha grilling tonight?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Smoked a 'chuckie' (aka chuck roast) over hickory for supper tonight. Also made some corn/jalapeno/cheese cornbread to go with the leftover pinto beans to round it out. Delicious!!!

Chuckie_1.jpg

Chuckie_2.jpg

Cornbread_1.jpg

Cornbread_2.jpg

Supper_051114.jpg

Last edited:
M

majorcatfish

our son is home from college for the summer he has requested a couple meals bbq,fried wonton soup,gumbo,beef stew just to name few.
you can never go wrong with a good chuck roast....

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Time to smoke another pork roast & thought I'd try something different... I stuffed this one with a pound of extra spicy homemade Italian sausage & onion. Also made a batch of stuffed japs to go with it & Mrs. Ranch said she wanted corn-on-the-cob to round out our evening meal!!!

That's our plan for supper tonight & it's a beautiful day for cooking outside!!! Got everything ready to go this morning & I'm going to relax until she tells me different...

Last edited:

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Sounds great! It is a beautiful day today, and supposed to be nice all weekend.

We are however staying off the grill this weekend and doing a crawfish boil tomorrow.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The meat came out perfect & the raspberry/balsamic glaze was very complimentary. On the negative side, the sausage/onion stuffing didn't work for me at all... The flavor profile was not a good match in my opinion, but I had to give it a try. I'll try something else on the next one.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes... LOL!!!

Supper_051614_A.jpg

Supper_051614_B.jpg

Supper_051614_C.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Pretty simple recipe Whistech...

In a pyrex bowl mix the following
  • 3 Tbs. of butter
  • 4 to 5 Heaping spoonfuls of seedless raspberry preserves
  • 2 to 3 ounces of balsamic vinegar
Microwave it just enough to get the butter melting & whisk it all together. I've also done this with peach preserves & it was very good as well!!!

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Tonight I ordered oven baked, Mediterranean pizza for the nephew and I:)

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Busy day here, so I just grilled steaks on the propane grill to go along with some leftover 'twice baked potatoes' & steamed veggies.

Supper_051914.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Smoking another 'chuckie' & made bread. Mrs. Ranch made a big bowl of macaroni salad... Not sure what else, maybe some vegetables.

Supper_1_053014.jpg

Supper_2_053014.jpg

Last edited:

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
That looks awesome, Sam. All I did in the garden today was pick a couple of tomatoes, some green beans, strawberries and blackberries (which never made it to the house because I ate them.) Today was a very busy day with lots of errands, so I stopped at Chili's and ordered a dinner salad with black beans.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
I made a wonderful, veggie pizza tonight for dinner guests. I bought the thin, wheat crusts, but piled them so high with three kinds of onions, peppers and sliced tomatoes from my garden (plus mushrooms from the store) that it actually turned into a pizza pie that had to be eaten with a fork. I also put venison and pepperoni slices on it and it was great; except that the oven filled the house with smoke. I sort of burned the first one, but went again with two more pies. Maybe I'll look for a pizza crust recipe that cinchy. I plan on making a lot of veggie pizzas as long as the garden lasts:)

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finish the leftover 'chuckie' last night, so I need to do something for today's supper... That 'something' is another smoked pork roast & this time I stuffed it with just a link of jalapeno deer sausage. After slathering on a coat of spicy mustard & then my general purpose BBQ rub, it is resting in the refrigerator. It will be smoked using straight post oak.

We have enough macaroni salad left for a side & Mrs. Ranch can execute whatever else she wants.

Supper1_060114.jpg

Supper2_060114.jpg

Supper3_060114.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Smoking another rack of baby-back ribs tonight, rubbed with spicy brown mustard, a lot of pepper & some onion/garlic (they will be smoked over post oak & hickory). Also some homemade garlic bread.

Mrs Ranch is going to prepare the fresh green beans/potatoes & whatever else her lil' heart desires.

Supper1_060814.jpg

Supper2_060814.jpg

Last edited:

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Sam, I'm gaining speed. I made some of the best salsa I've ever put in my mouth tonight and canned it. I'm going to post it in the canning site.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Going to grill a 1 1/2" thick sirloin steak for supper tonight. It will be accompanied by fresh corn-on-the-cob, stuffed japs & homemade bread. Mrs. Ranch made a big bowl of cucumber/onion/tomato salad. We love harvest time!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
No briskets on sale around here for the 4th of July... Heard the situation is the same in Houston... I guess there will be a lot of Texans settling for something else for our traditional smoking sessions this weekend (pork shoulders, ribs or sausage). I personally just bit the bullet, picked up a 15 pounder & paid the price. I'll probably smoke it on Saturday weather permitting..

Also picked up 4 racks of baby backs, one of which I will smoke for tonight supper. Picked some green beans & japs (that will stuffed) & made a loaf of bread. Mrs. Ranch made some tomato/onion/cucumber salad.

Ribs are seasoned with spicy brown mustard, cracked pepper & some of our rub. They went on at 1500 hrs. over post oak & hickory.

Ribs1_070314.jpg

Bread_070314.jpg

I hit them with the mop sauce around 1630 hrs & will do them again in another hour.

Ribs2_070314.jpg

It's 1630 hrs. & we're ready to apply the glaze... 30 minutes to chow time!

Ribs3_070314.jpg

Finished!!!

Ribs4_070314.jpg

Salad_070314.jpg

Supper_070314.jpg

Last edited:
S

Slowngreen

Well I made some chicken for my first smoker break in and it tasted great. But, today I tried some pork and it just tastes like burnt wood. Im using apple chips, tried some soaked peices but they wouldnt smoke so I read online and everyone says to not soak them for an electric, so I added them next to the burner but they kept catching fire. Tips? Should I get chunks instead? Theres not much room for chunks unless they can sit directly on the element with out problems.

M

Mr_Yan

@Slowngreen In my electric smoker (no longer mine thanks to some scumbag) I would use soaked chips that were placed in an old can. I liked the low wide cans like a large tuna can.

Try the rub posted by @w_r_ranch on chicken next time it was great. He listed it off here.

After I used the last of my chips I bought some of the smoke pellets that you put in a foil pouch. I didn't like these at all and don't think they'll make it into my smoker again.