1. Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha grilling tonight?

Discussion in 'Grilling and Smoking' started by w_r_ranch, Jul 7, 2013.

1. w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch Master Gardener Moderator

Planting Zone:
    8b
    This morning I sectioned/prepped a beef brisket for smoking. The brisket was seasoned with salt, cracked pepper & a light dusting of our ranch rub. It went on at 1100 hrs (over post oak & hickory coals @ 225-240 degrees) so it should be ready at supper time... It's hard to maintain a constant temp due to it being pretty windy here today (15-22 MPH) but I'll get 'er done... They're at halfway point here:

[​IMG]

The side dishes will be scalloped potatoes, pinto beans, asparagus & homemade bread.

[​IMG]

Rockytop, RLwhaler and Mike like this.
  2. w_r_ranch

Planting Zone:
    8b
    We've had a hankering for some pulled pork, so yesterday I trimmed & seasoned a pork butt with yellow mustard & our ranch rub.

This morning I got the hickory/post oak coals ready, then put the pork butt on the smoker (225 degrees) @ 1000 hrs. I also made the eastern NC finishing sauce... Pulled pork is always excellent & can be used straight up as American BBQ or also utilized in enchiladas (which is what we will do later this week).

Pulled_Pork_042417.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    RLwhaler, Rockytop and whistech like this.
  3. Rockytop

Rockytop Well-Known Member

Planting Zone:
    8B
    Lawdy...

w_r_ranch likes this.
  4. RLwhaler

RLwhaler Well-Known Member

Planting Zone:
    8b
    From the garden to the wok.

18835296_1456862291037947_1987448805_n.jpg 18816780_1456862411037935_435902104_n.jpg 18485399_1440559482668228_1114050067189709325_n.jpg 18446665_1440559449334898_8017188771113449674_n.jpg

Mr_Yan, whistech and w_r_ranch like this.
  5. w_r_ranch

Planting Zone:
    8b
    Happy Birthday America!!! This morning I made a triple batch of my BBQ rub (I was practically out). Then I prepped the baby-back ribs that I'll smoked later (I got the kettle resetup for this task). The ribs were smothered in a coat of spicy brown mustard & then a generous coat of rub. They will be done over post oak & apple coals at 225 degrees & yes, I will be drinking during this cook. Mrs. Ranch is making her potato salad & we already have pinto beans to round out our 4th of July supper. Even though I'm retired, I still love holidays!!!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    RLwhaler and whistech like this.
  6. Mr_Yan

Mr_Yan Well-Known Member

Planting Zone:
    4b
    You have that wok over an open fire? Out door burner?

I've been thinking about how to burn under my wok outdoor without much cost. Right now I only have my Weber kettle (which I haven't tried) outside and the limitations of city ordinance for open fires.

7. w_r_ranch

Planting Zone:
    8b
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    RLwhaler likes this.
  8. Mr_Yan

Mr_Yan Well-Known Member

Planting Zone:
    4b
    @w_r_ranch I like the looks of the removable round grate. My wok will easily work it. Now I have to chase down the 26" version.

RLwhaler and w_r_ranch like this.
  9. ksk

ksk Active Member

Planting Zone:
    8b

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  10. Mr_Yan

Mr_Yan Well-Known Member

Planting Zone:
    4b
    Meatloaf burgers with grilled zucchini and black bean salad tonight. Man that 26" kettle has space on the cooking surface.

RLwhaler likes this.
  11. RLwhaler

Planting Zone:
    8b
    Ranch is absolutely correct ( below) I've bought this propane burner at Academy a while back ago. Used it for our crawfish boil and fish fry sometimes. Same set up as what Ranch showed below. I used that wok on darn near everything !! Super hot real quick ,especially when it comes to "Wok-ing" it! LOL! Wok cooking is in the sauce folks!!!

Mr_Yan and w_r_ranch like this.
  12. Mr_Yan

Mr_Yan Well-Known Member

Planting Zone:
    4b
    Sauces eh? Wok cooking is something I want to get much better at. What route do you go with? Lately I've been marinating my chicken in a mix of rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and corn starch but I have no real idea of what I am doing.

RLwhaler likes this.
  13. w_r_ranch

Planting Zone:
    8b
    Smoked the buck board bacon that I prepped 2 weeks ago. I'll slice it tomorrow.

These 2 shoulders were pretty lean. Here's the first one after slicing, along with the 'burnt ends' that I like to use in my pinto beans:

Buck_Board_Bacon_071117.jpg

Bacon_Ends_for_Beans_071117.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  14. Mr_Yan

Mr_Yan Well-Known Member

Planting Zone:
    4b
    Burgers for tonight. Onion and zucchini for tomorrow's pasta salad.

Still learning how to arrange this big kettle.

RLwhaler likes this.
  15. RLwhaler

Planting Zone:
    8b
    Yup! Just hold that thought Mr. Yan. When the weather cools off a bit.. It's just too darn hot outside for me crank that wok up ! I'll write up (With pictures) a recipe that I've leaned from my mother's employees( Chinese Chef) It's time for me to contribute. I keep bumming off of Ranch's recipe and everyone else.

Mr_Yan and w_r_ranch like this.
  16. w_r_ranch

Planting Zone:
    8b
    Put some of our rub chicken drumsticks & breasts for smoking this afternoon. I'll do them over post oak & hickory coals at 220 for about 3 hrs. they'll be served with stuffed japs & one other side that is yet to be decided...

RLwhaler and whistech like this.
  17. mattroj

mattroj Member

Planting Zone:
    9a
    I'll be grilling some Korean beef Kalbi tonight.

RLwhaler and ksk like this.