• Join Home Gardening Forum

WR's 2014 Fall Garden

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Spent the day planning the fall garden since it rained this morning (prohibiting my working on the asparagus bed). The kohlrabi, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower & brussel sprout seeds were started last week in 3" pots so they should be ready for transplanting in early October. Potatoes, of course, will be planted around September 21st. The onion & garlic sets will be planted in early November.

2014_Fall_Garden_Plan.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Sorry, I forgot the 'lineup' so that you have an idea of what the legends represent:

Fall_Garden_Lineup.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Been reforming the rows in preparation for planting... Planted the fall potatoes today.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
That's a lot of food! I don't think I even eat 200 onions in a year! :D

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mike, we use a lot of onion here, both raw & cooked. We even dice, vacuum pac & freeze about 30 lbs for later use.

Yesterday I continued reforming the garden rows as it really close to planting time. Then I decided to start planting... Got 42 brussels sprouts (originally planed for 36) & 72 kohlrabi (of the 96) in before my back said stop.

Today I ordered 25 male 'Jersey Knight' asparagus crowns (3 yr old) from a specialty farm, so I will cut/install the wall liner/cap rock & order the soil mix. I'll continue planting tomorrow...

Last edited:

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
If you're planting the onion sets in November, when will they be done? The spring? Do you cover them to protect them from frost?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The onions are ready when the green tops lose their color & 'fall over', which is usually around Memorial Day.

Once all of the tops are fallen, I give the onions another 10 to 14 days to fully mature before harvesting & curing.,

Last edited:

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Thanks! So I need to not plant them where I'm going to need to plant something else in my spring garden.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Started forming a new row for the onions/garlic using the new soil & got a 30% done & then it started raining... oh well, at least I got some of it done.

E

ErnieCopp

Rahab, The switch from Onions to Spring Garden will depend on your climate. I plant onions as early in November as i can get delivery, and while i do not have time to let them mature after the tops fall over like Sam does, i am able to pull mine, and plant Spring garden in the same area.

About the only way you will know for sure is to just try and see if they are ripe in time. I think whether the winter happens to be mild or cold might also affect that harvest and replant schedule.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Everything is doing well with no fatalities thus far. Most of the potatoes have sprouted & the lettuce , chard, spinach & radishes were planted a couple of days ago.

Garden1_101714.jpg

Garden2_101714.jpg

I've finished the new asparagus bed/area & the additional row for the onions/garlic (both the asparagus crowns & the garlic is also suppose to be shipped this month).

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Bud, I built the base of the wall on a rebar enforced concrete foundation & then used PL-500 mortar adhesive to anchor each stone to the one below it. In seven days it is cured & only a fair-sized bulldozer will move it.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Lettuce, spinach, chard & radishes are up. Still awaiting the asparagus & garlic to be shipped...

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Bud, I built the base of the wall on a rebar enforced concrete foundation & then used PL-500 mortar adhesive to anchor each stone to the one below it. In seven days it is cured & only a fair-sized bulldozer will move it.

Really? My gosh thats a lot of work. I figured you just stacked the stones on top of each other and the lip on each stone kept it from pushing outward.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I did it this way as I knew I was going to exceed their height recommendation & the addition weight per square foot of going 9 high in places... I prefer to over-engineer everything than risk having to redo a project, especially one such as this.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Oh right, I didnt think about the height. Makes sense.

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
I share your fondness for working with brick, stone, or tile. I bought my first house in 1950, and every where i have lived since, including even on my boat, i have left my mark with some of the above. The boat work was tiling the galley and the shower, and neither a square or a level is of much use on a boat.
Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ernie, I too like stone's permanence... Hindsight being 20-20, I should have done this years ago, however I was too cheap & initially used landscape timbers. When they started to rot out, I saw the 'light' as they say.

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
I think most of us have had that same experience, but when it comes to deciding to save or spend our own money, i prefer the word, "frugality", and only use "cheap" for people that are trying to save their money at our expense.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Last edited: