• Join Home Gardening Forum

WR's 2015 Spring Garden

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's almost that time!!! The garden layout is complete & the variety selection is in progress (I plan on placing my seed order by this coming weekend). We still have enough of somethings from last year, so this space will allow us to try some new stuff this year. While I await the arrival of the seeds, I can get the flats ready.

I'm so ready for winter to be over!!!

2015_Spring_Garden_Plan.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I finished perusing the seed catalogs & now have my selection for the spring garden completed. I started placing my orders, although I still have 1 more order to go. Here is the spring lineup:

2015_Spring_Lineup.jpg
We are going to try some new varieties this year as we still have plenty of eggplant, sweet green peppers & tomato related sauces in the pantry/freezer. We are also going to scale back the tomatoes about 20% as a couple of our neighbors have passed away...

This year we will plant a different variety of bi-color sweet corn & a 'baby corn' (the type you see on salad bars).

We will also be planting a full row of Mexican Poblano peppers (most of which will be dried into 'Ancho' & stored. We are also going to try a row of 'Biker Billy' jalapenos (which are suppose to be a hotter than normal variety).

The melon patch will reflect the most changes... watermelons this year will be heirloom 'Georgia Rattlesnakes', the cantaloupes will be the heirloom 'Israeli Ogens' (complements of my good friend Meadowlark) & the honeydew will be a hybrid called 'Bodacious'.

There are a few other substitutions like one of the green beans & the cucumbers that I got at a better price.

Note: The asparagus, garlic & onions were planted during the fall & all are doing well.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, where do you purchase your Italian Romano beans? I am going to try them this spring. I tried growing the bush variety last year and I was late planting them so they did not do too good. I am trying to do less stooping picking the garden this year.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Whistech, I saved the seed for these from last year (as these are heirlooms). At the end of each season, I simply leave a good number of them on the vine to mature & dry before shelling/storing them. I do this with all heirloom vegetable varieties to cut my seed costs.

Having said that, this year I ordered most of my seed from R.H. Shumway as they are substantially cheaper (about 1/3 less than Burpee). In addition, they seem to have a good selection of both seed & other products. I ordered the granular inoculant from them as well (a 'must' for any bean, IMO).

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I placed the last seed order this morning. I then cleaned/sanitized 13 flats & the 3" starter pots to minimize the risk of any spores or pathogens infecting the new plants.

I'll pick up the potting soil next week when we go to town.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The last of the seeds arrived today. I'll get the tomatoes, peppers & merrigolds started in about 2 weeks. Everything else will be direct seeded in March.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Started planting the seeds, got the marigolds, basil, jalapeno & poblano peppers done. Will do the tomatoes tomorrow. All the flats are in the greenhouse & the heater turned up to 72 degrees.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted the tomato seeds this morning (both the 'Health Kick' & the 'Big Boy') & put them in the greenhouse.

Seeds_Started.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the flats in the greenhouse... Believe it or not, the basil is breaking the surface already (4 days).

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Wow that is one heck of a setup you have there Sam. I'm super jealous of the greenhouse!

Can you tell me about what you did for your initial soil prep? I apologize if this has been covered previously.

E

ErnieCopp

Wolfman,
Your setup is only second to Sam's as none of the rest of us can even come close. So maybe we can stir up some competition between the two of you and then we can just set back and enjoy your hard work.

Ernie

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Wolfman,
Your setup is only second to Sam's as none of the rest of us can even come close. So maybe we can stir up some competition between the two of you and then we can just set back and enjoy your hard work.

Ernie

Ha, ha thanks Ernie. I throw a lot of hail mary passes, so I'm not sure how good of a competitor I'd be.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Can you tell me about what you did for your initial soil prep? I apologize if this has been covered previously.

For the main garden, I started with having our dirt guy mix up a blend of compost, sand & topsoil as it was too wet at the time for me to get the amount I needed from the river bottom. The main garden took 140 yards & the asparagus bed took an additional 14 yards. I further amended the soil with a pallet mushroom compost & gypsum. After planting, I always apply a heavy layer (28 yards) of finely shredded pine bark mulch to suppress weeds & retain moisture. After it breaks down (over the course of the year), it is tilled in to further enhance the organic content. I also applied some beneficial microbes to the soil early on & continuously feed them with a low level of humic 'tea'.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked up the seed potatoes this morning... Mrs. Ranch 'suggested' that we plant 2 varieties... so we will be planting my 'Red Pontiac' & her 'Kennebec', LOL!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The Red Pontiac' & 'Kennebec' potatoes have been 'chitting' for about 2 1/2 weeks & they have nice fat buds now so this morning I got them cut & coated in sulfur. I'll allow the a few days to scab over & get them planted this weekend. I fertilized the potato area & will till it tomorrow morning. Also weeded the onion & garlic row.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the 2nd till of the potato area & formed the row. I'll try to plant them tomorrow.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Potatoes are in!!! Glad I beat the front that is coming through, this coming week is supposed to be cold & wet.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
WR; I KNEW I would regret checking out your 2015 garden. You're so efficient! Why do you cover your potatoes with sulphur?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I treat the potatoes with sulfur powder before planting to protect them against rot in cool, wet conditions.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I noticed that the potatoes are breaking ground today!!!

Still way to wet to till, hopefully this weekend.

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
Are your onions as big as they were last year at this time? Mine were late because of rain wherever Dixondale is located, and they seem to me to be about a month behind now. As i plant my summer garden where the onions are, I am going to be in a squeeze. I tried some a couple of days ago, about 1.5", which is smaller than we like to use.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
They look to be the same size Ernie, which is good since this years onions were planted 3 weeks later than 'normal' for the same reason.