• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yesterday was still nasty so we did our weekly shopping & then all I did was bake bread & make the pot of pinto beans.

Today I made a batch of stuffed jalapenos, dressed with our 'buckboard bacon'. Then since today was warmer (56 degrees & sunny), I figured I'd get started replacing the porch lights with the new LEDs. It took a little longer that I anticipated due to the fact that the wasps are still alive (although somewhat sluggish due to the cold). After removing the old bulbs, I sprayed copious amounts of wasp spray into each enclosure & let if sit for an hour before proceeding (I hate, hate, HATE them dang things - especially the red ones). After that, cleaning & installing the new retrofits was a snap. While the new 13 watt LED retrofits only produce 1030 lumens vs 1310 for the old 90 watt incandescents, we will save 85.55% on electricity.

Next up will be building the custom LED light strips for the kitchen & other built-in cabinets/display cases.

LED_Front.jpg

LED_Back1.jpg

LED_Back2.jpg

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Today was a pretty good day. Took the family to cut down our Christmas tree then spent the evening at a state park then dinner with the in-laws.

M

Mr_Yan

Cleared out the bedroom upstairs and bought carpet for it. Being installed tomorrow.

Milled an oak door sill for the transition from carpet to wood floor by hand.

Cut a few dovetails by hand in poplar.

Mostly designed a woodworking hand tool cabinet for my shop.

Had my dad and his wife over for the weekend.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Weeded half the garden.

Ordered basil seed & 'Imperial Star' artichoke seeds. My grandpa used to grow artichokes in his garden & I've always want to grow them (for spinach/artichoke dip)... The artichokes will be a new addition to our garden & are perennial here. I'll need to get them started ASAP if we want to harvest some this coming summer.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Finally got all the onions planted. Ended up with almost 500 in the ground. We planted 5 different varieties, including 2 types of red onions. I'm not real confident with the outcome of the red ones, but even if we can get some small ones I'll be happy.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Baked a loaf of bread.

Got a 'Boston butt' thawed out & seasoned up for tomorrow's smoke.

Did an artichoke 'how-to' for those that are interested.

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
Be sure and keep Ants completely away from your artichokes. They petals form a perfect hiding place for them down in the fruits, and very difficult to get rid of, once they get a foothold.
I do not grow them anymore, but they are a wonderful vegetable to grow.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Good tip Ernie!!! I can imagine that they will be a pain like they are with okra...

Today I fed the cattle & put out more hay. Thursday we have to deliver 5 bulls to their new owners (tax management).

Smoked a Boston Butt that we will eat off of for the rest of the week.

Decided to cut the grass (ahead of the rain). We had a heavy ground fog this morning which is a good indication of rain 3-5 days out...

Water the plants in the greenhouse while Mrs. Ranch harvested some radishes.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did our weekly shopping & picked up cattle feed.

Refilled bird feeders.

Made a pot of fresh cranberries.

Mrs. Ranch vacuum packed the slabs of smoked pork roast from yesterday.

Since I'll be busy most of tomorrow, I went ahead & made the bread dough for tomorrow.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Delivered bulls yesterday & fed the remaining cattle (we have a few more bulls that will be delivered after the first of the year) The baked bread.

Today we went to town (bank, groceries, feed store & haircut). Replaced 3 'hose hangers' & made a pot of pinto beans for supper.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Starting to rain here early this morning & has gotten heavier this afternoon). Me & the dogs are are spending some quality time together watching movies while Mrs. Ranch continues working on a hand-stitched lap quilt for Christmas gift.

Made a loaf of bread.

M

Mr_Yan

Working on cleaning my shop again and built two stools for the "helpers" to be at a proper height for the work bench.

Made dough for gingerbread men - soon to be rolled out, cut, and baked.

Pot of soup on the stove now.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Still raining here... there's water everywhere. We got 1.50" yesterday & 1.92" thus far today & it's still raining intermittently.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Got a flat of 3" pots ready for the artichoke seeds (they should be here today or tomorrow).

Picked up another load of cattle feed & then put out more hay.

Hung a Stratus RG202 Rain Gauge.

Got a beef shoulder roast seasoned up with our spicy Italian oil, cracked pepper & additional rosemary for tomorrow.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finally received my seed shipment, so the artichokes will be started tomorrow.

Made 'rolled wheat' bread.

Harvested some more radishes to snack on & 5 kohlrabi that will be added to tonight's pot roast.

Kohlrabi_121515.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's much cooler here today... yesterday was shorts & flip-flops, today is sweatpants & socks...

Watered the stuff in the greenhouse & turned the heater back on. Planted a flat of artichokes. I only want 6 plants, so if anyone 'local' would like some, let me know...

Artichokes_121615.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

Isn't there a point where there's enoughStar Wars? Seems that every other song on the Amazon prime classical channels is Star Wars and every third news feed story online is a press release about the movies. Enough all ready, we know the movie is coming out this weekend and I'll even watch it, eventually.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ranch chores this morning: Brought 12 more rolls of hay home so I don't have to mess with it during the holidays. Then I fed them & put 3 rolls of hay out which should last them for 12 days.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
After eating off the pot roast for 3 days, I turned the remains into beef/barley/vegetable soup. Home-grown kohlrabi, potatoes, corn, carrots, tomatoes, green beans, okra, onions... even the bay leaves were grown here!!!

BeefBarleyVegetableSoup_121815.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

got about 1/2" of snow over night. Woke up and it was 8 deg F outside.

Playing in my woodshop more. Cutting more dove tails and working on a tool cabinet plan

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yesterday, I only made bread & then did computer maintenance chores.

Today I refilled the bird feeders, harvested some more radishes, removed the lower leaves brussel sprouts plants & cleaned the dogs ears (such a fun chore).

Mrs. Ranch is working on finishing up the hand-stitched 'lap quilt'.

Lap_Quilt_122015.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Starting to think I should have left winter kale and collards going. We were 58° F yesterday and will be above freezing for the five day forecast.