• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I picked half of my onions yesterday. To pick or not to pick the last half now, hmmmm.

M

Mr_Yan

Temps topped out in the low 50's F today. The guys on the radio were reporting the wind chill as I was driving in for work. So goes spring in the midwest. Got some rain through the afternoon but it's too early in the season for me to have a rain gauge out.

Had the "staff" meeting for the church gardens tonight. Got 10# of Yukon gold seed potato for $5 from a friend. Brings my garden cost to almost $10 this year.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I've never seen a gopher around here. We have clay and they don't like to hang out here. That's not to say one didn't make it in my raised bed though. Never seen this before. I'll slice it open when I get home from work.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I guess the mystery of the onion nibbler will remain unsolved. It definitely wasn't a boring type insect, no holes inside. But, close inspection showed tiny chomp marks on the outside skin.

red onion.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

Would a vole do that to an onion? I know they will eat the stems of other allum or lily family plants. These bite marks look similar to the bite marks I had on potatoes a few years ago.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Absolutely nothing in the garden today... Got another 0.15" overnight, which was enough to keep me out of the garden at this point...

I went to town & got a haircut, then stopped at the grocery store... That was the highlight of my day, almost...

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
We lucked out on the rain again, only a light sprinkle this morning. Potatoes are still hurting after the flooding, some have damage to the foliage. Should have sprayed copper, but I don't think it will affect production a whole bunch at this point. Squash are doing well, we'll have more than we can handle next week. Good to see many honey bees around. Tomatoes are doing ok, still recovering from the flood. Cucumbers/beans/okra are slow, stunted. Corn is stunted, will be small ears this year. Have about 1/4 of the onions left to harvest. I'll leave them depending on the rain.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

Light rain and almost warming up to 50 F today.

Spent the morning at the community garden - general work day and getting things ready to go.

11 - 2:30 built a new raised bed using the stacked and staggered 2x4 construction again. My neighbor replaced his 5 year old raised beds and I scavanged the old ones. Ripped the 2x8s to 3.3 inches wide and discarded about 40% do to rot. I'll have pics when this is placed.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received another 0.20" sometime during the night...

Picked up 10 bags of dog food (on sale) to donate to a canine 'no-kill' shelter in Sheridan, TX (a few miles south of us).

Spent the afternoon drinking margaritas on the back porch & shooting snakes in the stock tank... 4 confirmed kills & 2 maybes. I don't like snakes.

M

Mr_Yan

Overcast and 50 F today.

Placed and filled the new garden bed. Will post pics when we have the computer turned on again.

Cleaned up the rotted and scrap wood from making the garden bed yesterday.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Clean & refilled hummingbird feeders.

Cleaned the bathrooms & then refilled the chlorine tank on the septic system.

Harvested some radishes.

Made bread & 6 deer sausage kolache (aka doe-in-a-blanket... it's a Texas thing) for supper. Mrs. Ranch made a bowl of coleslaw as a side.

050116.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We need a new guy for the Victory Garden on PBS anyway. Tired of the softies they hire these days. Tomatoes, potatoes, guns and killin. That'd be a real show.

Mrs. Ranch laughed!!! She said to call it 'Shoot, Shovel & Smoke' (a play on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives), LOL!!! I could use it for hawking my cookbook & maybe my own line of garden tools too...

E

ErnieCopp

Mechanized Cultivating.
When you youhg fellows get too old to walk and weed, here is some News you can Use.
Plant your melons and tomatoes far enough apart that you can drive your combination Garden tractor and wheelchair between the rows without compacting the ground near your plants.
Then sharpen a scuffle hoe. It does not need to be as sharp as a razor, but it needs to cut whatever it might touch,
Then drive along while the weeds are still small, and take them out.

Nights have still been cool here so some germination and growth has been slower than usual, but everything is doing okay.

Ernie

E

ErnieCopp

Yan,
I have Great Grand Kids, too, But each generation, it looks like my working genes have been more diluted. My Kids were good workers, About half of my grandkids like to work, and some of those started pretty late, and now my great grandkids do not seem to even know what the word means,.

I follow your comments and know you are on the right track, but keep looking over your shoulder because there are lots and lots of government workers that will throw your butt in jail if they see one of those kids working up a sweat because their jobs depend on keeping things going down hill.
Ernie.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went shopping yesterday for groceries & wall coverings. We found a book that we brought home to see how the colors/textures work...

Today I made bread & then made the adobe paste/marinade to use on the grilled pork chops that will be our supper for the next couple of days (they need at least 24 hrs). I can almost taste them already!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the entire garden.

Started spraying the fence line with RM43. I need to pickup another 2 cases to finish...

Received the new lamps for the front room & the towel racks & rings for all the bathrooms.that Mrs. Ranch wanted.

Grilled the adobe pork chops & made rice for supper.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked up some additional groceries this morning.

Hung Mrs. Ranch's new towel racks/rings/toilet paper holders... the woman's a slave driver, LOL!!!

Cleaned & refilled the hummingbird feeders & then hung 2 more. There is a herd of them this spring...

Clean & refilled the wasp traps.

Last edited: