• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Boiled a bag of mudbugs today. Pilfered through the garden for stuff to throw in the boil. Walked past the grapefruit trees and grabbed a few. Sliced them up and threw them in. Wow! They were a surprise ingredient that really did the trick.

craw1.jpg craw2.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

Working on a retaining wall along the south side of my garage.

Excavated 15' long, 2' wide, 1' deep. Half the wall (treated landscape timbers) in place and spiked down. Will finish tomorrow.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Didn't do much of anything... went to the Masonic Cemetery at 0600 hrs to lower the flag to half staff & pay my respects. I drank the last of the last of 'our brandy' & remembered my crew mates before going back at 1700 hrs to raise the flag back up.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Corn, garlic & spaghetti squash are total losses here... I'll pull them all out if if it ever stops raining... We have had a year's worth of rain in the last 5 weeks... it's raining right now, 0.65" thus far today.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I've got a total disaster going on here. Waiting for it to dry out so I can hook up the shredder and cut it all down-tired of looking at it. More rain on the way right now. I must have left about 300 lb of rotten potatoes in the garden.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
I've got a total disaster going on here. Waiting for it to dry out so I can hook up the shredder and cut it all down-tired of looking at it. More rain on the way right now. I must have left about 300 lb of rotten potatoes in the garden.

Sorry to hear that wolffman.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
13007149_1090723587651821_5322357175907875683_n.jpg 13139350_1098140123576834_1527928040252198381_n.jpg 13254364_1112338662156980_5628153182264152051_n.jpg 13239209_1112338608823652_6053129166735940772_n.jpg 13241146_1112338632156983_1548059283000344835_n.jpg We had more rain here in Cypress,Texas. Round two for us. Cypress Creek in over the top again.
Mint garden id doing good. Pear is looking good this year. Had a few US Marines over the weekend. I boiled a few sacks of mud bugs.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Corn, garlic & spaghetti squash are total losses here... I'll pull them all out if if it ever stops raining... We have had a year's worth of rain in the last 5 weeks... it's raining right now, 0.65" thus far today.

Wow...I sure hate to hear that Ranch! All this rain is doing more damage than good.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received another 0.61" yesterday & 0.82" thus far today & it's still coming down... The various frogs are singing up a storm tonight, lots of them joining in!!!

Picked 4 large cucumbers.

Cleaned all the toilets & gave Mrs. Ranch a pedicure today for entertainment.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I did nothing outside today... The thunder & lightning woke me up a 0600 hrs... Another 1.09" so far.

Spent the day researching the value of vintage watches (less than 100 yrs old) that we have...

Popped 2 squirrels & a rabbit in the garden.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

I tried to put a #2 square drive screw bit through my left middle fingertip. No where near a bad looking injury but I did a great job smashing it. 24 hours later and the swelling hasn't gone down.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Was still raining lightly here this morning... another 0.26". Forecast says there more coming around 1800 hrs... This is starting to become depressing.

Made bread.

Ran up to town to pick-up some groceries for the weekend, mostly because we were getting low on limes.

Made a batch of salsa molcajete that will be served with tortilla chips for supper tonight. We figured we eat kind of light since we're just sitting around on our butts due to all the rain.

Last edited:
E

ErnieCopp

I can understand the urgency of running out of limes, as I like them in my ice water. I could not locate a thornless Mexican Lime tree that i could get shipped into CA, so i went to a Nursery and carefully examined all of ones they had, and found one that was nearly thornless. That lack of thorns has held true, and it has had limes on it year around. It apparently does not have a fixed season for blossoming so it has fruit in different stages all the time. I much prefer the flavor to the larger, Persian limes that are most common, and i like them best as they just begin to yellow.

Just a wonderful tree it your micro climate does not have hard freezes. Mine has weathered 27 or 28 degrees with only minor damage.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We have 3 of them, however they are only big enough to supply us for a week or two. The rest of the time we have to buy them. And yes, the are much juicier when they start turning yellow... perfect for our daily margaritas!!!

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
Do yours have a specific blooming and harvest time or do they produce all year? I have one heavy crop with a lot to give away and waste, but the small steady production is what surprises me.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Here they bloom in May/June & the limes are ready between December-February... every year is different. I over-wintered them in the greenhouse to protect the grafts. Here they are a few years ago...

E

ErnieCopp

Those look much bigger than mine, so may be Persian Limes although they call them by different names. I do not recall exactly which month it was, but earlier this year mine set a million blooms, but only a very small percentage of them set fruit, and i have noticed a few blooms on them at different times since,, including yesterday, since the big bloom. I have them now from full size,which is about half the size of yours, down to the first discernable size, like an 1/8 or 3/16ths of an inch.

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

Just mowed the lawn. About to go finish pinning the retaining wall. I've got a laundry list of tasks this weekend.

Expecting rain late this afternoon and overnight.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Got another 1.04" last night with more expected... Sheesh...

Clean bird bath & put out another seed block.

Refilled the chlorine reservoir for the septic system.

Made a batch of guacamole. We have left over salsa & Mrs. Ranch is making casadia since I can't cook due to yet more rain...

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Rain,rain,rain. The river made it about 1/2 mile from my place of work which blows my mind. My wife's place of work is flooded out and she missed all last week and will likely miss next week too. I don't go out to the garden anymore, too depressing. Oil's at $49/bbl, jobs are shaky everywhere. Living the dream in Needville, TX.