Vegetable oil (for frying)
Eggplant
All-purpose flour
Eggbeaters or eggs well beaten
Italian breadcrumbs
Spaghetti sauce
Mozzarella cheese. Grated
Romano cheese, grated

This recipe is really a 2 person job, at least till the frying is done…

Start by peeling the eggplant and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices.

Preheat your deep-fryer to 350 degrees.

Coat each side of the eggplant with the flour and dip the eggplant into the eggbeaters (better than well beaten eggs) to coat both sides. Then take your bread crumbs and do the same to coat each side.

Once the oil is hot, put the eggplant in the hot oil and fry until golden brown.

Once all of the eggplant has been fried, get a rectangular baking pan and start the layering by adding the spaghetti sauce to the bottom of the pan, then the eggplant, more sauce, then a layer Mozzarella & Romano cheese. Continue to build layers until you have reached the top of the pan. Top off with more sauce, mozzarella and grated Romano

Place the eggplant into a 350 degree oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese on top just starts to brown. Enjoy!!!

Egg_Plants.jpg

Eggplant_Parmigiana_Before.jpg

Eggplant_Parmigiana_After.jpg

S

sreece

Wow! That's enough eggplant parmesiana to feed an army! Two years ago I had enough eggplant to make some and I used fresh tomatoes from the garden for the sauce. What flavor! I'm the person who goes to an Italian restaurant and orders this almost every time. But once I made mine with fresh tomatoes, all the others I've eaten since have been a disappointment.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Wow! That's enough eggplant parmesiana to feed an army!

reece, we like cook in large quantities & then freeze it (it freezes very well BTW).

With foods like eggplant parmigiana, or lasagna for that matter, we simply allow the finished product cool/chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours... this allows it to 'set up' for near-perfect slicing. My wife then freezes it overnight & then the next morning we vacuum pack the individual servings.

When needed, simply drop the bags into boiling water for 40 minutes or so & enjoy a 'fresh' Italian meal at home!!! Best of all, cleanup is easy - just your dinner plates & silverware!!!

S

sreece

That sounds like a fabulous idea. I think I'll try that. I have picked my first eggplant and the plants are loaded with more so hopefully I'll get enough to do a big batch. Thanks for the details of how to do it.