• Join Home Gardening Forum

first time pickler

C

Canesisters

This weekend I'm going to make my very first batch of pickles from my very own cukecumbers! SO EXCITED!!! And pretty nervious too.
Question - how do you store your cukes till you have enough to make a big batch of pickles? Or, do you just have so many producing at once that a single picking will do it?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
You can put them in the frig for a couple of days if you're expecting to harvest enough to do a single big batch.

I normally have enough to do single batches, although most years we do a number of small batches of different types of pickles (dill, bread & butter, salt, garlic, etc) so we have a variety & don't get sick of eating the same thing all the time.

Cukes_1.jpg

Cukes_2.JPG

C

Canesisters

Great thanks. I've got about a dozen in the fridge now (adding a couple every day, all week long) and I've been hoping they would stay fresh till I could get them going. Is that a single day's haul in that box!!! Oh my goodness! How many plants do you have?

S

Slowngreen

Good luck! Im a pickler too, I pickle eggs mainly but will be doing pickles this year.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Too bad you don't live close by, I would have fixed you up... here's todays' pickings

Cukes_063013.jpg

I'm in the process of cleaning up the garden and the cuke plants are coming out tomorrow... as are the last of the tomatoes.