Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
T

the1honeycomb

Mine keeps expanding when I buy new buckets at Goodwill!! LOL:shame:

J

Jal_ut

My little veggie bed is 66' x 165'. 10,890 square feet.

M

mountain man

A couple 1000 sq ft in two locations.
jal_ut, You do plant a lot.
valley

N

Northernfox

Jal_ut not only plants a lot but he does it at a high elevation I think!

J

Jal_ut

Yes, my plot is at 5000 feet elevation. On a good year we get 120 consecutive frost free days.
It is always a gamble on that one. I have actually seen frost every month of the year except
for August. I remember one July it was 95 on July 4 and froze the corn on the 7th.

I have half of my big plot in corn.

N

Northernfox

Jal_ut sounds like we have similar troubles ;) we can get 120 frost free days however it is always a gamble all year :D

T

the1honeycomb

the squash got a little big while I was under the weather!!

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
My main garden area is 25' X 140', with Asparagus, Onions, Peppers and some veggie containers under drip, but mostly planted in Squash, Cantaloupe, Persian, and Watermelons. [Melons are much easier to give away than Zucchini squash} lol, Also contains a Peach, Fig, and Apricot tree, with Grapes and Raspberries along the fence. Then I have a separate Hotbox/Windbreak for tomatoes and winter veggies, and a 10 X 12 Grape Arbor, plus Lime, Avocado, Navel Orange, Kumquat, 2 Tangerines, Jap Persimmon, Fig, Apricot, and Loquat trees, two Nectarines, and a BlackBerry patch.

I am still learning, but like what i see of putting veggies in containers under drip tubes in the garden area. So, may do more of that and less containers watered individually.

I do not have any raised beds, but i do think 100 sf of raised bed would equal 2 or 300 sf of normal garden. Less wasted space in a raised bed. What do you think?

Ernie

Last edited by a moderator:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I think I'm envious of your selection of fruit!!! My original peach trees died after 4 or 5 years & I had to start over. I do have a couple of fig, pear, lime & orange trees as well as a number of pecan trees but that's it. I pulled up all our blackberries a couple of years ago to make room for the ongoing expansion. On the plus side, I am getting ready to add an asparagus bed though... I meant to have it ready to go last year, but I didn't get it done in time. Still hope to find some 3 year old 'Jersey Knight' crowns...

I only wish we could grow some of the stuff you can... I'd especially love to have fresh avocado, as well as fresh apricots, grapes & raspberries (my wife's personal favorite)!!! I remember seeing some pictures of your garden & it was beautiful!!!

I also want to say 'thank you' for joining us here. Your depth of experience will help us all and will be sincerely valued!!!

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
If I lived anywhere else and knew soil could grow things like this does, i would be envious myself. Can you imagine sticking a Himrod grape cutting in some potting soil in February, and by July 8th, having 9 feet of growth from it? It has a hard crust that makes it very diffucult, nearly impossible, to start seeds in it, but once somethings is above ground, it really produces.

Peach trees died young in Idaho for me, too, but Apricots and Pears and Apples did very well. I have a Babcock peach, so soft and full of sugar they will not ship, so only way to get them is to grow them. Not many around here that i know of, so maybe the canker and such will give me a few years with this one.

A suggestion for your Asparagus. I did not have any female plants that produced berries in my patch in Idaho, so when i bought these, I did not know to specify. Now about half of my plants are female and produce thousnds of berries which sprout in unwanted places. So, when you order your crowns, try to buy only male plants, since the best way to propagate is by root cuttins or crown.

Pecan trees are very rare out here, but there are several huge forty footers along a drainage ditch on my property line. Beautiful Trees, but the pecans are the old fashioned small hardshell type, that are not worth cracking. Some people come to pick them up in the fall, but not many people will do that.

I am about out of room here, and the only way i can plant more trees is by taking out something.

I am glad you told me about this site, as i do not surf around much and would not have found it on my own.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
A suggestion for your Asparagus. I did not have any female plants that produced berries in my patch in Idaho, so when i bought these, I did not know to specify. Now about half of my plants are female and produce thousnds of berries which sprout in unwanted places. So, when you order your crowns, try to buy only male plants, since the best way to propagate is by root cuttins or crown.

I will do that, thanks!!! I have been overwhelmed in the past with 'volunteers' from the likes of dill weed... jeeze what a battle that was, LOL!!!