• Join Home Gardening Forum

it has arrived

M

majorcatfish

looks like the weather forecasters were on the money this time.
started to snow at 1 pm with just a couple flakes, 30 minutes later opened the door outside my office
holy compost pile the ground was covered and coming down hard. punched out and jumped in the car.
even with the nc dot brining the interstate it was already a cluster, finally made it to my exit, yup coming down even harder fender benders everywhere,cars in ditches, what takes 45 mins took little over 3 hours to get home.

they are calling for around 10" tonight with maybe .01" of ice and tomorrow another 2-4" of snow and more ice...
just in case bathtub full of water and 2 buckets of water for cooking, 2 tanks of propane if the power does go out.

for some reason theres not a loaf of bread, milk, toilet paper, beer and rock salt to be found in any store...:rolleyes:
dw got the last propane tank and was the last person the abc store allowed in.

heres a couple photos after i finally got home....
DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0008.JPG
had time to kill why sitting on the highway
68.jpg

will post up more sometime tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr_Yan

Ice is the worst.

Coincidently today is the first time since early December we have not had temps below zero in our 7 day forecast.

M

majorcatfish

was watching the weather this morning north carolina got hit hard all the news channels are saying stay at home, they are showing pictures of abandoned cars everywhere, big rigs jack knifed and if you need a tow truck better be ready to wait 3-4 hours till they show up....
further south they mainly got ice ....

as of now we received 6" of snow and 2" of sheet and to compound it .01 of ice which made a crest which makes it very hard to walk in.
and they are calling for more to come in later today mainly sheet and freezing rain... oh joy joy
thinking about taking the deck off the garden tractor and putting the box blade on and see if i can plow the driveway...

heres a couple photos from this morning.....

front door glazed over very interesting pattern.......
was able to get out, but had to get the dw to let me back in the button was frozen...lol
DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0022 - Copy.JPG
looks like a great day to stay home and burn up some vacation time.....

praying we do not lose power, stay safe everyone

M

majorcatfish

well scratch the idea of using the g/t to plow, even with the tractor tires on all it did was spin with all the sleet it was like trying to drive on ball bearings. oh well....

M

majorcatfish

well today is a completely different day blue bird skies and 45*.....yupeeeeee
earlier this morning walked up to the main road and shoveled the berm left by the plow truck, the main road was dry
as soon as i got the berm cleared a person in a backhoe stopped and asked if i would like to have the driveway cleared, asked how much
he said 150.00 right then the mail man showed up and went down our driveway and a minute later he came back up. politely said no...

heres a photo from the house up to the main road the 3rd power pole is the main road.
thats what i call government assistants
DSC_0005.JPG
of course did some digging out later on...... melt baby melt
DSC_0003.JPG
and my girls where egging me on
.DSC_0002.JPG
near is nola boxer/ boarder collie mix,far ava lab/ lab mix both are rescues and both bed hogs.

oh yes back to why the mailman went down our driveway, he delivered our stokes and johnny seed orders and the county tax on the truck..grrrrr
you know when seeing this , i don't worry about taxes.....
DSC_0004.JPG

M

Mr_Yan

a person in a backhoe stopped and asked if i would like to have the driveway cleared, asked how much
he said 150.00

Your market is messed up. We pay $20 for a plow to run down our alley which is about 500 feet long and that includes two berms of snow plow junk There's about a 30 foot elevation change from one end of the alley to the other also. We've only deemed it worth $20 a few times in the 7 years I've lived here. (OK it was my neighbor's wife that wanted it while pregnant and I repaid the neighbor with a six pack of homebrew each time)

M

majorcatfish

Your market is messed up. We pay $20 for a plow to run down our alley which is about 500 feet long and that includes two berms of snow plow junk There's about a 30 foot elevation change from one end of the alley to the other also. We've only deemed it worth $20 a few times in the 7 years I've lived here. (OK it was my neighbor's wife that wanted it while pregnant and I repaid the neighbor with a six pack of homebrew each time)
Yup there are people who would pay that, this is not my first rodeo dealing with snow removal what he was asking
Is what I would pay for a whole season while living back at Lake Tahoe. Then there are people who try to profit

E

ErnieCopp

Well, it is not cold enough to snow, but we finally have a strong forecast for a real turd floater. As much as an inch of rain per hour sometimes, and lots of dire warnings about Flash Floods and Mudslides. Also Wind Warnings from now until Saturday night. So i hope we do not get all they are promising, but we do need part of it.

Ernie

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
They are calling for lots of ice and snow here in the next hour until tomorrow afternoon. If you're in or around this area hope you stay warm and safe!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The front came through here at 1400 hrs. It went from 72 to 48 in a matter of minutes. It's 34 right now & suppose to hit a low of 26 tonight. I'll be glad when this winter is over.

M

majorcatfish

YIPPEE .....more snow <just a bit of sarcasm>
interstate was good, once i got off the roads closer to home they were getting slick.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
quick update for storm that was to barrel though and only leave less than a 1/2"
the doghouse has over a inch on it and still coming down hard.
DSC_0004 - Copy (2).JPG

M

majorcatfish

started the car this morning, we had 2.5" of snow ....

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Got a 1/4" of ice on everything here this morning. Dogs didn't know what to think when they stepped into the grass & it crunched.

M

majorcatfish

well we got it again last night .2" ice and 4" of sleet, yup you guessed it stuck like chuck in the driveway.
plus received a phone call from work, they lost power called that into the power company, 15mins later work called back and told me that the transformer on the street blew up,so everyone is going home. glad that the power went out when it did otherwise there would have been 4 chambers loaded with tires. that would have been 100 tires of mis-cures figures out to about $12.000 down the drain...

needless to say will have to go in once power is restored and make sure all the equipment starts mainly the boiler and air compressors.
on a happier note checked the 10 day forecast it's going to be nice..
might even get some onions planted sunday

M

majorcatfish

looks like the power will not be up till monday at the earliest from what news said it's city and county wide they say theres 61k without power. have been there a couple times out here before.
did finally make it up to the street.... before they plow the street going for a beer run it's getting critical here.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
The weather here is finally starting to make a turn for the better. Was up to 55 yesterday and cloudy last night. Mostly cloudy here now and low 50's expected. Funny thing is now that all the bad weather seems to be mostly behind us (hopefully) I've actually got a generator coming my way - a Honda EU3000i.

M

majorcatfish

went to work yesterday just to check it out lots of trees down everywhere, the power was being restored quite rapidly but it was still out once i drove up to the plant. had 1 line down and 2 fuses blown on the pole and a street light line down.
while there the g/m called of course she was freaking out, we had to get 100 mounted tires to go out monday, told her would be able to get the mounting area up and running, used a otr service truck for the air and a small generator for lights and to run the smart air system.

this morning we went in got them going unload and reload trucks, the power company showed up repaired the line, replaced the fuses and trimmed the street light line back, about a hour later we had power everything spin back up except the boiler, finally figured it out one of the stepdown transformers was single phasing shut it off turned it back on took care of that, fired up boiler back up all good except the bearings on the motor are on their way out they started sqell, going to either rebuild it or replace it soon. the motor is the original motor and the boiler was built in 1966, heck almost 50 years old something has to give. shame that things are not built like that anymore..

oh yes today was bluebird skies and 70.
come on spring................

M

Mr_Yan

Third day in the last week we've been above freezing here.

I don't envy you without power. Do you have a sump that you have to keep pumped?

Beer run eh? Time to start home brewing. I don't brew much but tend to have 30 to 50 full bottles on hand at anyone time.

E

ErnieCopp

Major, Sounds like fun. Wear em out, fix em up, and wear em out again. Been doing that kind of stuff all my life. I loved working with machinery where you could see the problem and fix it. Do not care much for the electronic stuff that you cannot have that intimate relationship with.

Ernie

M

majorcatfish

Third day in the last week we've been above freezing here.

I don't envy you without power. Do you have a sump that you have to keep pumped?

Beer run eh? Time to start home brewing. I don't brew much but tend to have 30 to 50 full bottles on hand at anyone time.

sorry to say never had to deal with a basement sump pumps before... sure that could be very creative on how to deal with that problem.
as for the beer there was a communication breakdown between the wife and i on how much there was on hand.....

M

majorcatfish

Major, Sounds like fun. Wear em out, fix em up, and wear em out again. Been doing that kind of stuff all my life. I loved working with machinery where you could see the problem and fix it. Do not care much for the electronic stuff that you cannot have that intimate relationship with.

Ernie
amen to that...