• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

Snow on the ground again. High about 20 F today.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Put up 2 hummingbird feeders as they usually show up between the 15th-20th. We have 50lbs of sugar so we are ready for them whenever they arrive.

Treat the fire ant mounds in the yard.

Reassembled the cooler & moved it to the back porch.

Cooler.jpg

Moved the big kennel into the kitchen & set it up so 'Dieter' could get accustomed to it for a day, but he decided to move in early. From the picture, you can see why they are called 'ghost dogs', LOL!!

Ghost_Dog_031617.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Sprayed RoundUp around the garden & RM43 around the home site.

Received the new shock collar & introduced it into Dieter's training sessions. The first time I used it (lowest level), the expression on his face was priceless... like "What the heck was that???".

Dieter1_031717.jpg

Also received the seat cover for the back seat of the Jeep (as he has gotten too big to sit on Mrs. Ranch's lap)... We'll get it installed after I vacuum the interior.

M

Mr_Yan

I harvested the last of the 2016 garden today. Seems weird but I let the parsnips overwinter in the ground and just pulled them. 391 grams of parsnips. Most of the raised bed was really soft to dig in but the top 2 inches near the edge of the bed was frozen.

So last year I hauled 628.8 pounds out of my gardens at a cost of 47 cents a pound. Since I started recording in 2013 I have pulled 1503 pounds out at a cost of 42 cents a pound. This cost includes building all my garden beds, buying seeds and fertilizer, and any fun tools I felt like buying.

This year I will have the expense of rebuilding my largest raised bed and any seeds. The main reason I am rebuilding my bed is to change the layout to have better use of the patio outside the kitchen door. The garden bed is in OK shape and would have a few more years in it but is getting in the way with bikes, strollers, and toys.

Last edited by a moderator:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Made a pot of pinto beans. I got the 4 pork chops seasoned up (fajita seasoning & lime juice). I then made Salsa Molcajete, that will be added rice to go with everything for supper.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

built a small cold frame out of a 2x8 and an old storm window. Placed the cold frame in the garden and threw lettuce seed in it.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Burn the trash.

Cleaned/detail the interior of my Jeep (henceforth renamed the 'Dieter-mobile').

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finish the Jeep's interior & installed the seat cover/mud room (fits pretty good). Dieter is now ready for his 'road trip' to the vet on Thursday.

Mud_Room_Installed.jpg

Sprayed the wasp/yellow jacket nests again.

Moved the spider plants from the greenhouse to the back porch.

We had the 1st hummingbird visit today!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Put the garage & greenhouse heaters up for the season.

Put a new 100' hose out... I'm replacing them one at a time.

Clean the 26 gallon spot sprayer & put it back on the Gator.

Put 3 rolls of hay out for the cattle.

Smoked a thick sirloin for dinner. Served with pinto beans, baked potatoes & garlic bread.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Sprayed fungicide on the peach and cherry trees. Late winter still and the buds still have not started to swell.

May start a flat of leek seeds tonight.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Did the weekly shopping, then picked up a load of topsoil... Tomorrow I'll spread it under the trees & plant the wild flowers.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Finished planting out all the tomato plants and watered them in. This weekend I'll lay the drip irrigation. If the weather goes our way we're going to be in tomato overload. Planted a few new varieties which will be interesting to see.

M

Mr_Yan

Went to the annual early meeting for our church's community garden volunteers. Our church put out the call for more volunteers / staff for it and people answered. Almost 20 people showed up for the meeting and I am sure more will help but didn't make it to the meeting.

Bought a luxury watering can - enameled metal. I'm getting tired of the plastic crap around my garden. I've worn out $20 in plastic watering cans in the last 5 years. This one is blue but I may paint flames on it just to be that guy.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Took 'Dieter' to the vet for his last round of puppy shots. He is now 13 weeks old & weighs 34 lbs.

Spread the load of topsoil under the trees, got the the wild flowers seeds planted & watered in. Then watered everything else (hanging baskets, pots, flowerbeds & garden).

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread & wiener buns.

Bread&Buns_032517.jpg

Pulled the mowing deck off the garden tractor to scrapped all the accumulated grass clippings out of it & replaced the blades with a sharp set. Greased all the fittings & then cut the grass.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Built a few boxes to replace the crappy plastic flats. Three are for soil blocks (will hold a total of 64 cubes), two are for 32 oz yogurt containers (will hold a total of 22 containers). I seem to have a lot of scrap wood to build junk like this with.

About to make a home depot run to make my seedling starting station:
2'x4' foil backed styrofoam box with LED lighting inside

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Got another 0.33" of rain last night. It's getting challenging to get much done in the garden here...

Used the pear burner to burn debris in the garden. I am determined that everything is going in by the 3rd of April...

Burned the trash.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We went to town to get haircuts.

Made a pot of pinto beans. Mrs. Ranch wants chicken fajitas for supper, so I made a batch of Salsa Molcajete that will be added rice to go with everything for supper. As I had some bacon leftover after making the pinto beans, I decided to make a special treat... bacon wrapped dates stuffed with an almonds (these things are killer!!!).

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yet another storm started at 0615 here. No hail, but a lot of lightning strikes all around us... we got another 0.77" of rain. It's hard to get stuff planted in the garden again this spring. Now the sun is out...

Ventured out to pay the quarterly taxes this morning.

Last edited: