Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Here you go Mr. Yan:
  1. Wash/scrub the carrots in cold water.
  2. Cut the tops off & slice them 1/4" thick cross-wise into disks .
  3. Blanch carrots for 2 minutes (this is kill any bacteria & keep them a bright orange).
  4. After blanching, plunge them into ice water to stop the cooking process.
  5. Drain well in a colander & spread in a single layer on a dehydrator tray.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
K

ksk

Next Arctic front is forecast a week from tomorrow.Hopefully I will get one more mess of mustard greens.Fried chicken,cabbage, and chocolate pie for supper.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Onions are almost back to normal. Granex got hit the hardest by the ice followed by the 10-15's. The Reds are doing really well and were largely unaffected.

Gave all of them another shot of micronutrient right before dark.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town to get our hair cuts.

Put out the molasses tubs for the cattle.

Bottled up all the dehydrated carrots.

Started pulling the leftover plants from the garden & gave them to the cattle.

Got a pot of pinto beans seasoned up & soaking for tomorrow.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I redesigned the flag badge this morning because I thought the first was a little bulky. Here it is with a quick coat of black paint (not the best paint job). I intend to use epoxy flat black for the finished product.

I need some help from my fellow gardeners who own firearms! How much would you expect to see this product sold for at a shop??
Honest responses are appreciated.

DSC_0718a.jpg

K

ksk

Continue to build planter boxes.Started prepping last years boxes for Spring garden.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees & the asparagus bed. There are 4 asparagus spears that came up overnight!!!

Put out another suet block for the birds.

Sprayed Flex-Seal on the interior of the porch pots. Will spray another coat tomorrow.

Put out 3 more rolls of hay & mineral blocks for the cattle.

Septic tank guy came out & replaced the timer & one sprinkler head, so we're good to go.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked up additional bags of topsoil this morning so I can continue planting the remaining Lirope after I enlarge the front flowerbeds.

Received my Roku Ultra today, so I can finally try streaming (which I wanted to do for over a year). I'll hook it up sometime this weekend since starting my veggie seeds is my priority.

Received the leek sets & hope to get them planted this weekend as well.

K

ksk

Finished seven planter boxes and placed them in place.Bought lumber for six more.Watered onions [1.3 in January].Tomorrow I plan on cutting the last of the mustard greens and start prepping boxes for potatoes.Next week I plan adding a few more fruit trees and ordering a load of garden soil.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Hooked up & configured the Roku Ultra last night after Mrs. Ranch went to bed. We're in business!!! Watched a documentary on the making of 'The Bomb', LOL!!! I'll show Mrs. Ranch how the Roku box works & turn her loose while I start planting seeds.

Made bread.

Planted the jalapeno & green pepper seeds in the starter pots. Watered them in & put them in the greenhouse.

Started the beginning -of-the-month chores.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

@whistech how do you like the fingerling vs traditional size potatoes? I need to plan my rows for this season and could switch to a fingerling for a row or two. One year I did a Russian banana fingerling but the whole potato crop was a bust.

M

Mr_Yan

These long weeks have to end soon. Didn't even see my kids Thursday or Friday.

Have a small hyrdoponic system in the basement. Think I should expand it to a wall based vertical system then I can move it from the garage wall for the summer to the basement wall (with lights) for the winter.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
@whistech how do you like the fingerling vs traditional size potatoes? I need to plan my rows for this season and could switch to a fingerling for a row or two. One year I did a Russian banana fingerling but the whole potato crop was a bust.

I started growing fingerling potatoes about 4 years ago. I started with the Russian Banana fingerling because I read it would grow pretty well where I live. What I found was when canned, the fingerling potato remained firmer than the normal red potatoes I had grown before. Last year, I saw an advertisement at a seed company named Seeds and Such that had the Austrian Crescent fingerling seed potatoes on sale for half price and free shipping (came out to about $4.00 pound) so I ordered 5 pounds and planted them. I believe I harvested around 60 pounds of potatoes from the 5 pounds I planted. Since potatoes do not keep well where I live I canned what I thought I wound not eat fresh in a couple of months. Again, the canned potatoes stay pretty firm (I had a jar of them last night for supper along with a jar of green beans).

I saved about 7 pounds from last years harvest in the crisper drawer of my garage fridge for planting this year and they kept extremely well. That is what I planted last Thursday. As far a what I like better for fresh eating, I would prefer the traditional red potatoes because that is what grew up eating and I think they have a much richer, buttery taste but after being canned I prefer the fingerling potatoes because they hold up better and provide a firmer, better tasting product. Mr. Ranch here dehydrated some of his potatoes last year and I'm going to try that this year with some to see how I like them.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted the 'Heatmaster' & 'Health Kick' tomato seeds in the starter pots. Also planted the basil & all the flowers (angel trumpets, anemones, & marigolds). Watered them all in & put them in the greenhouse.

Watered the rest of the stuff in the greenhouse.

Spray the final coat of Flex-Seal on the interiors of the porch pots.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Shoveled about 2" of snow but I could have used a leaf blower to move it just as easily as it was really fluffy and being driven around by the wind. Forecast calls for 3 to 5 tomorrow (Monday) evening into the night.

Knitting a mitten to test out a new yarn for a sweater I want to make.

Made a pot of soup -- loosely based on minestrone but I added three chicken leg quarters.

• Up Vote

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Kind of chilly here (50 degrees) so I put off planting the leeks until tomorrow.

Research replacement security doors for the house.

Caught a gray fox in one of the traps unfortunately (not one of my targeted pests). Grays are good guys in my book.

Gray_Fox.jpg

(reference picture - not one of mine)​

Last edited: