• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

K

ksk

Yes. Red Pontiacs... these are my "go to" potatoes because of the productivity & long storage properties. They are chitting now (forcing the 'eyes'). In a couple of weeks I'll divide them, dust with powdered sulphur & let them scab over a couple of days before planting. If the weather holds, I'll plant 90 of them between Feb. 14th - 21st which should yield about 350#s (+/- 40#).

If you've never grown them before, refer to: How To Grow Potatoes 101
Thanks for the link.Interesting read.I have never heard of the powder sulphur dusting .Where do you buy it? Any information shared by you and others is very helpful,as I have not been around gardening in many years.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Any gardening center will have it, even Columbus Feed has it (I picked up an extra bag of it when I got the seed potatoes).

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Ended up in the ER with my middle kid last night. We went to the urgent care clinic first where the doc took a short look at him found abdominal pain we didn't know about and said we needed to get to the ER.

We have some wonderful neighbors who dropped everything at our phone call and came to our home and watched kids 1 and 3 from about 6 pm to midnight. I actually got to know these neighbors because of gardening. He maintains a nice veg garden while both he and she do the landscaping. We don't have any family in this state, or even a bordering state, so we've had to build up a "network".

Remember guys -- regardless of where you live urban, suburban, rural -- if you don't know and have neighbors you just have a hood.

Agree on the neighbor ! Hope your middle kid get's better.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled the bird feeders.

Continue cleaning the flower beds, then burned the 'trash'.

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Today is 'Seed Starting Day'... The jalapenos, serranos, eggplants, tomatillos & both varieties of tomatoes are now officially started. Everything else will be direct seeded in mid-March, with the exception of the potatoes which will be planted in a few weeks.

Start my monthly chores.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The temperature dropped here yesterday & it''s in the chilly 50s today...

Watered the seed flats in the greenhouse.

The weeper hose that I have been using to irrigate the asparagus bed has become more trouble than they are worth (they just don't last here), so I decided to redo it using PVC pipe & 10 brass spray heads... I'll put most of it together in the garage tomorrow, although I'll have to wait for the schedule 80 risers to be delivered.

Did the weekly shopping.

Received the 'jingle bells' today so I finished the 'door bell' that assist us in housebreaking the new puppy when he arrives.

Puppy_Bells.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Assembled the PVC pipe for irrigating the asparagus bed.

We had a bull that failed my docility test... twice. I'm not known for patience when it comes to overly aggressive bulls, so he will now feed a number of families instead of wrecking my pens & fences. Since we couldn't load him into a trailer, we processed him right in a pasture this morning (as it was a perfect day in the low 50s). He is now being turned into approximately 800 lbs of ground meat.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Finally got around to cutting the diamond plate for the bed of the Gator. As bad luck would have it, I miss-cut it, so I had to weld a strip back on & then cut it again (this is what happens when I get in a hurry). After that, I treated it with acid for corrosion resistance. When it's dry, I'll continue.

Diamond_Plate.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Tomitillos & both varieties of tomatoes are up in the greenhouse!!!

The diamond plate is now dry, so I applied 2 coats of bed-liner to each side. After those were dry, I applied the adhesive & set it in place. Then I sealed the gaps between the plate & the side walls/header of the bed. The adhesive will take 7 days to cure, after that I will apply the last coat of bed-liner, put the rubber dog mat back in & call this project done.

Diamond_Plate_Installed.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fabricated 8 more 24" hangers for the hummingbird feeders per Mrs. Ranch's request.

Fabricated 7 stands for '2-sided yellow sticky traps' & put them in the greenhouse in the advent that those dang white flies again show up this year.

Trap_Stands.jpg
We received the 6" risers for the asparagus bed's new irrigation system. Installed them & the brass spray heads. I'll finish the last section & the installation hopefully tomorrow.

New_Irrigation.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

Managed to get my ink jet printer working again. The black print head was dried / clogged and took several hits with isopropal alcohol before it would print again. This wasn't a total win as my fingers are rather discoloured at the moment.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a pot of pinto beans.

Sprayed RM43 in the hay trap & around the barn.

Brought over 18 more rolls of hay for the cattle.

Watered the seed flats in the greenhouse. I saw that the eggplants, japs & serranos came up today!!!!

Stated cleaning the asparagus bed again today... I need to finish it tomorrow & install the new irrigation section.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
At times, life seems like one big compromise... As most of you know, we have been looking for a new puppy. Mrs. Ranch wanted a yellow lab & I was holding out for a working dog (either a GSD or a Doberman), but God had another plan for us... This morning we brought home the newest addition to our family. He is a Weimaraner & his name is 'Dieter'. Sometimes compromises are good, especially when you gaze into those 'baby blues', LOL!!! I'm told that the eyes will lighten to a silver-blue color as he grows older, but right now they appear to look right through you . He sure is a vocal pup...

Dieter.jpg
Also watered the seed flats with my new lil' helper in tow.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thank you. I hope I get some sleep tonight, as we've always had 2 litter mates in the past (to keep each other company & that kept the whining to a minimum)... I'm sure I'll be a up at least 2X a night for a few weeks for house breaking purposes.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled the bird feeders.

Cut the grass.

Made 'German Rouladen' for supper.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Last night we discovered that there was a 5# bag of birdseed left on the mudroom floor last fall which mice had found a long time ago. So I set traps all over the place in the mudroom just after letting the dog out for the last time last night.
So this morning I emptied the mouse traps and cleaned out the mud room. Cleaning out the mudroom was really easy when 90% of the stuff was going into a trash bag.

Went to a "Better Marrages" conference with my wife.

Repacked 30 pounds of chicken leg quarters and sent them off to freezer camp.

Made fried rice for dinner.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's kind of challenging getting things done with the babysitting the new pup, although he's bonding very well with all the attention he's receiving. The housebreaking is coming along too as he is learning to 'ring his doorbell' when he wants out.

Drilled & installed 8 additional J-bolts for Mrs. Ranch's hummingbird feeder expansion (the spring migration should start in about a month).

Watered everything in the greenhouse with my lil' helper in tow.

Last edited:
M

majorcatfish

worked on the g/t , have been doing a serious/critical parts replacement on the old girl <my dream g/t went out the window for this year> waiting on the last list of parts to be delivered. one of the employees down at work, his mother works a dixie<a mtd parts distributor> here in gso. so able to get the parts at wholesale...
she looks a bit sad at the moment, but once done she will run like <almost> like new....
DSC_0004.JPG
once up and running she will get a good pressure washing...

trimmed up the muscadine grapes and tied the shoots up the pole. later this spring will finalize on what type of trellis system to build for them.

by noon was in shorts tennis shoes and no shirt pulling weeds out of the raised beds it's 80*..really in February? last week it was long pants boots coat and plugging in the truck....

dw picked beets, lettuce,carrots,kale for tonight's dinner.....

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made scalloped potatoes from our dehydrated supply... I figured we need to use them up since we're getting ready to plant again this week.

Put out 3 rolls of hay for the cattle.

Finished installing the new irrigation section for the asparagus bed.

Sealed the seams of the diamond plate in the Gator's bed for the 2nd time.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Rainy (0.93") & on the cool side here (55 degrees), but we had to venture out to haircuts this morning.

Made bread.

Think I'll take a nap.